Tool sets worth it?

Like Tree10Likes

Tool sets worth it?

Old 05-07-2019, 03:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Tool sets worth it?

Hey!

I have a good 15 rigs, all working order, and am interested in what I should work towards next in the collection.

Ive always used those cheap $5 Allen wrench sets from freddie’s and they get the job done.... but do wear out after a few months and start stripping screws.

Are these $50 traxxas or various other brand tool sets worth the investment? What advantages do they give?
Old 05-07-2019, 03:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I openly omit to being a Harbor Freight junkie.....that being said for hand tools or things that I will own and use for the next 30 years I will spend money on and buy quality. Whether its a good hammer, tape measure, saw-zaw, etc I can justify the extra expense expanded over the use of many many trouble free years with tools that feel better in the hand.

That being said you dont need to get HUDY tools and you can get some quality used tools here and even hobbyking has decent tools with replaceable hardened tips. The RC tools I bought 15 years ago are still generally what I use today.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:25 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I've tried all sorts of tools from different brands. The best bang for buck are MIP tools. Sure, they are not as sexy as Arrowmax tools, but the MIP tips are quality and will last way longer than most other brands.
skater-deez1 likes this.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I went through a number of lower quality hex drivers before getting a good set. Would have been cheaper going better first.
Bud and jiml like this.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Yes hands down, You can not go wrong with a good tool set. And by Good, I am not talking aboutIntegy, Dynamite (Universal kit) or those cheap sets on Amazon. Get as stated, MIP, Hudy, Arrowmax, Xceed or even EDS.

And a big suggestion is to have a tool Folder / Bag / Case, that way they are stored properly, and when not in use wont get lost. Its a bigger investment, but in the long run, probably the best investment.
Sir 51D3WAYS and Micah78 like this.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

A good set will always help.. But the ability to modify cheap tools helps ….Good tools work.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

MIP all day. I had a few Hudy drivers and couldn't stand them.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

i used the kit supplied allen's for over a decade before finally getting a set of MIP hex drivers. GAME CHANGER! i never thought it was that big of a deal until i had a set, those things will spoil the hell out of you.
much more comfortable. much easier to get screws tight, oddly enough it also makes it easier to not over tighten screws as well, no fear of stripping out a head or wrench. they're harder to loose (to some of us that's important). and they add to your RC street cred
Old 05-08-2019, 04:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There are very few things in this hobby that don't go stale in a very short time. Tools are one of those things. A good set of tools will last a lifetime, or at least as long as you're in the hobby. An unlike just about everything else, tools will have a resale value if you decide to get out of the hobby.

IMO, stay away from Traxxas tools. yuck!
Old 05-08-2019, 02:15 PM
Tech Elite

MIP makes the only hex tools. Everything else is pure garbage. Hudy, AE, Losi, Duratrax, I use those as tent stakes.
skater-deez1 likes this.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I used an integy set for years. The most common sizes wore out and started stripping stuff (5/64 or 2mm) and was the first to get replaced with MIP. The 1.5mm was also tough to get into some screws, number 2 to get replaced by MIP. In the end, I now own a full set of MIP and leave the integy stuff for working on my 3D printers and other stuff that doesn't get wrenched on as much.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The MIP are a bit more expensive, but they are by far the best. I've had the Xceed and Tesla ones, those are very good, but do wear out, and when they do you can buy just the tip. But for the money, get the MIP, they never wear out
Old 05-11-2019, 05:41 AM
Tech Regular

My tool bag has a mix of tools, so have never settled in on one brand over another. That said, I do tend to stay away from nut drivers and hex drivers with hollow handles for 'storage'. I have found them out of balance and awkward to handle. Those that I do use have weights glued into the hollow handle for balance, and then the cap sealed.

AC
Old 05-12-2019, 08:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I have many tool sets. MIP are by far the best. Hudy are nice but overpriced. Arrowmax are nice. If you already Have the Integy tool handles. The replacement tips from Hudy make them decent.
I have had screws that wouldn’t come out with any drivers I had. Until I got MIP. Screws that I thought I going to have to drill out came right out with MIP. I also have a Custom set of tools from RJX that are quite nice as well. Little pricey but that comes with the custom ordering.

Just remember “Good tools aren’t cheap and cheap tools aren’t good!”
Goof and Dave_S like this.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

On these kind of tools I really don't care for the textured grip like that in my bare hands, and having little grub screw hold the tip in place.

I work mostly on bigger scale though that requires decent amount of torque. I never use my hudy drivers, maybe I should sell them lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service