Aerodynamics for speed car >

Aerodynamics for speed car

Like Tree17Likes

Aerodynamics for speed car

Old 04-30-2019, 05:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Aerodynamics for speed car

Does anyone have any tips on keeping a speed car planted to the ground?
Canít seem to get a good speed run cause the kit tends to flip
Dave_S likes this.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

my only experience with this was air getting up under the body and lifting the back end at speed (in my case it was only about 40mph). drilling holes in the back bumper to let the air out helped. iv seen guys cut the hole back panel of the body out.

adding a wing would also work, but down force is also drag so it'll scuff off some MPH.

i know in full size land speed racing they add weight because they don't want the drag from a wing or spoiler. iv heard of 32 fords that weight as much as 4000 pounds which is twice what it would weigh as a street car
Dave_S likes this.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You need a thick speed run body at least 1.5mm or better. If you get a thinner body then you need to reinforce it with fiberglass or epoxy. Put Fins on the rear quarters to maintain straightline stability. Keep your body low as possible to the chassis. Use a front splitter, and cut out the back of the body to keep air flowing out instead of lifting.

Deltaplastiks speed run bodies!!
illmatic94 and Dave_S like this.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:48 PM
Tech Master

When i said keep your body as low to the chassis as possible I meant to make it even with it and not lower. Because if its lower then you create an updraft from your body and it pushes up on the chassis creating lift.

Ask to join Ripple Killer on fb. The fastest guys in the world are there.
Dave_S likes this.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:00 PM
Tech Champion

Use ground effect.

Be sure to have a full size chassis w/o holes and keep it al low as possible to the ground. The airflow will do the rest.
Dave_S likes this.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VoltageDrop View Post
You need a thick speed run body at least 1.5mm or better. If you get a thinner body then you need to reinforce it with fiberglass or epoxy. Put Fins on the rear quarters to maintain straightline stability. Keep your body low as possible to the chassis. Use a front splitter, and cut out the back of the body to keep air flowing out instead of lifting.

Deltaplastiks speed run bodies!!
As an FYI, the Delta Bodies start out at 1.5mm, but are not 1.5mm in final form.
Dave_S likes this.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:13 AM
Tech Master

This is why im done with this site. Nothing but old men track racers running 2s and 17.5! They know nothing about being truly fast. They do a max of 25mph if that around carpet and think theyre elite. Come to the real world where we push our cars to the limit. Only thing ive gotten from here was use the search function lol. RCTech my butt! No tech here! Only old men that have no clue.

Last edited by 1/8 IC Fan; 05-01-2019 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:18 AM
Tech Master

This is why forums die! Admins and moderators that power trip. Come to Facebook where you can learn. Forums used to be a place to learn but not anymore. Theyre full of old men that cant accept change so they push everyone away. Please remove me from this site.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

This is why im done with this site. Nothing but old men track racers running 2s and 17.5! They know nothing about being truly fast. They do a max of 25mph if that around carpet and think theyre elite. Come to the real world where we push our cars to the limit. Only thing ive gotten from here was use the search function lol. RCTech my ass! No tech here! Only old men that have no clue.
Hmm...What???

From what Roelof and I have stated, there is still something to take away from that, nothing implying that we are either old or misunderstanding of the situation, but rather trying to give some input.

And having tested the Delta Bodies on my original Buri Racer with 6S, I can speak to them as I have used them, before they were available in the US! So if one choses to run them, to further aide in their Effectiveness at speeds beyond what 4S is capable of, I would advise using a Center Support ala' what we do when racing 200mm IC to support the Front of the car better and more effectively make use of its ground effects. And to also run a full set of 1/8 body stiffners as available from Protoform, Bitty, or Extreme.

Just because perhaps we do not partake in any sort of drag racing, does not mean that we are either slow, or that we have nothing to add from our area of R/C Focus or Knowledge.

Old 05-01-2019, 03:57 AM
Tech Champion

And fyi, I have played with ground effect with my 1/8 onroad and it did make a huge difference as it is a just standard design thing in all race classes.

Yes, with almost 50 yeas old and gray hair I may be an old guy, but for sure I do not race with 25mph cars. I run 1/8 onroad with 110km/h cars and I also have done some speedracing with a HPI Micro RS4 which was that light that the shape of the body did lift itself.

Untitled Document
Old 05-01-2019, 04:02 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

This is why forums die! Admins and moderators that power trip. Come to Facebook where you can learn. Forums used to be a place to learn but not anymore. Theyre full of old men that cant accept change so they push everyone away. Please remove me from this site.
maybe is comments like these that drive people away
simple and 1/8 IC Fan like this.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:02 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

we dont remove anyone , just dont log back on problem solved
jiml, AHR43 and 1/8 IC Fan like this.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't understand, what would prompt a response like that? Why wouldn't you trust the old people who have already done it and passing on what they learned?

People
Old 05-01-2019, 05:14 AM
Tech Master

You might want to try some ground effects. I have put holes in my windscreen and larger holes in back to create a vacuum affect (aka. ground effects . I have also cut some small rectangle brass tubes and made a under chassis. you create a negative lift.

wow to some of the comments above me ….so sad and worse.(language I wont use)
Old 05-01-2019, 07:24 AM
Tech Regular

Default Wedge Body

Ran a wedge body in 2009. RC drag racing 2.50sec Index Class. Speeds were consistently in the ~61-64mph range. Wedge will give you a lot of down force, although a lot of drag comes with it. For the class and the speed range it ran in, it provided a very stable, predictable platform.

The car was originally built for the Electric Top Alcohol Dragster (2s Lipo). I built my own chassis and they were always heavy and stiff. Not enough flex for the TAD class at ~90mph. Confident the wedge body would have handled that speed, though.

Something to consider, anyway. Good luck with your project.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service