Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Anyone know of a machinist who does small jobs? >

Anyone know of a machinist who does small jobs?

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By chuck_thehammer
  • 2 Post By smirkracing
  • 1 Post By freaksofnature
  • 1 Post By chuck_thehammer

Anyone know of a machinist who does small jobs?

Reply

Old 01-11-2019, 11:00 AM
  #1  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 245
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Anyone know of a machinist who does small jobs?

Need some parts ground down in a very precise way which I canít do at home. Probably 30min of work for a competent machinist.

Any leads?
smirkracing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:05 AM
  #2  
Tech Master
 
Dave_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 1,828
Default

Originally Posted by smirkracing View Post
Need some parts ground down in a very precise way which I canít do at home. Probably 30min of work for a competent machinist.

Any leads?

I needed some work done like that and just had local machine shop do it
Dave_S is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:28 AM
  #3  
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Deep South Texas
Posts: 868
Default

as long as you are NOT in a Rush.. most will do it .. for a fair price.


cut opening in valve covers.. cut lexan for windows... (X2) drill holes and cut threads.

also they did axles , ball diff assemblies, wheels hubs made True... for my 1/10 scale pan cars
Dave_S likes this.
chuck_thehammer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:03 AM
  #4  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 5,951
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by smirkracing View Post
Need some parts ground down in a very precise way which I canít do at home. Probably 30min of work for a competent machinist.

Any leads?
Don't expect to get it for free, when people want work done free for it pisses us off. Just ask them if the can do it, and give them plenty of time. Keep in mind that machines might be setup to do hundreds of parts, they're not going to break down a setup that can take them an hour just to give you a hand. Ask nicely and have patience.
nitrodude is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:57 AM
  #5  
Tech Champion
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 7,426
Default

It is wise to show some drawings/pictures what you want to make, then people can deside if they want to help you or can point you in a direction
Roelof is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:14 AM
  #6  
Tech Master
 
the rc guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,058
Default

id check with local machine shops. that what I did when I needed parts maid from stainless steel.but now I own a 5 in 1 mach. small Blanchard grinder. mill. bridge port. lathe 1 other end mill.paid a few hundred for it .its saved me thousands over the years.. check for local machine shop.
the rc guy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:18 AM
  #7  
Tech Master
 
Dave_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 1,828
Default

Originally Posted by the rc guy View Post
id check with local machine shops. that what I did when I needed parts maid from stainless steel.but now I own a 5 in 1 mach. small Blanchard grinder. mill. bridge port. lathe 1 other end mill.paid a few hundred for it .its saved me thousands over the years.. check for local machine shop.
what kind of machine? Have a link?
Dave_S is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:49 PM
  #8  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 245
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Hi, thanks everyone! I appreciate the answers and tips.

I did call the local machinists and they were all incredibly nice and friendly. They all invited me to stop over and show them what I needed. So - that was a good suggestion.

The task at hand is reducing the size (i.e. length) of a wheel hex hub. I have a Losi LST 20mm hex hub that I want to use on a Tekno et48, and it has too much material *behind* the pin hole (i.e. facing the bearing). As a result, I can't get the pin through the hub and through the axle. I only need to grind away maybe 1mm of aluminum, but that 1mm makes a big difference.

Here's a pic of a stock Tekno hub:


Here's the Losi 20mm hex I want to use:


If you eyeball them and compare the amount of material behind the pin hole, you can tell the Tekno hex is very thin (in terms of material behind the pin hole), and the Losi one is just a bit thicker. That additional thickness is what I want to remove, across the entire back face of the hub.

I could attack these with a grinder, but I doubt it will come out nicely or evenly.
freaksofnature and Dave_S like this.

Last edited by smirkracing; 01-12-2019 at 09:58 PM.
smirkracing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:18 PM
  #9  
Tech Master
 
Dave_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 1,828
Default

It will be interesting to see how much it ends up costing. I have a set I want to do the same thing to.
Dave_S is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:46 PM
  #10  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (59)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: branchville nj
Posts: 2,800
Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by smirkracing View Post
Hi, thanks everyone! I appreciate the answers and tips.

I did call the local machinists and they were all incredibly nice and friendly. They all invited me to stop over and show them what I needed. So - that was a good suggestion.

The task at hand is reducing the size (i.e. length) of a wheel hex hub. I have a Losi LST 20mm hex hub that I want to use on a Tekno et48, and it has too much material *behind* the pin hole (i.e. facing the bearing). As a result, I can't get the pin through the hub and through the axle. I only need to grind away maybe 1mm of aluminum, but that 1mm makes a big difference.

Here's a pic of a stock Tekno hub:


Here's the Losi 20mm hex I want to use:


If you eyeball them and compare the amount of material behind the pin hole, you can tell the Tekno hex is very thin (in terms of material behind the pin hole), and the Losi one is just a bit thicker. That additional thickness is what I want to remove, across the entire back face of the hub.

I could attack these with a grinder, but I doubt it will come out nicely or evenly.
it may take a while but how about using sand paper on a hard surface?
VoltageDrop likes this.
freaksofnature is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:03 PM
  #11  
Tech Regular
 
VoltageDrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 355
Default

Originally Posted by freaksofnature View Post
it may take a while but how about using sand paper on a hard surface?
I agree, it can be done at home. Shaving off 1mm can be done relatively quick. Even using the side of a grinding wheel will knock it off fast. The side of a grinding wheel is perfectly flat, dont use the curved part. Then smooth it out with some fine grit sandpaper on flat surface.
VoltageDrop is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:45 AM
  #12  
Tech Champion
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 7,426
Default

Well, anyone with a lathe can do that....

Do you have access to a drill press?
Mount the hub on the tip of a shaft and put the shaft in the drill press.
Lay down a flat piece of wood or metal with a sheet of rough sandpaper under it. Then turn on the drill and push it down on the sandpaper.

Sand down the hub to the right size
Roelof is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:04 AM
  #13  
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Deep South Texas
Posts: 868
Default

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Well, anyone with a lathe can do that....

Do you have access to a drill press?
Mount the hub on the tip of a shaft and put the shaft in the drill press.
Lay down a flat piece of wood or metal with a sheet of rough sandpaper under it. Then turn on the drill and push it down on the sandpaper.

Sand down the hub to the right size
done that many times... set the drill press to the slowest setting... check not to overheat the metal..

hubs, diff rings. super glued to a homemade fixture..
even side of grinding wheel.. using a wooden rod to HOLD hex.. to help keep parallel.
Dave_S likes this.
chuck_thehammer is offline  
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service