Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
The official Useless "I have nothing better to do thread" >

The official Useless "I have nothing better to do thread"

Like Tree6451Likes

The official Useless "I have nothing better to do thread"

Old 03-26-2020, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Sir 51D3WAYS View Post

Titanium can't really be anodized the same way as alu IIRC. But if you want the purple burnt/heated titanium look, you can easily accomplish that with your kitchen stove. (did it before by accident).

How's the cat taking to the beer/gatorade?
that's one of the reasons i wanted to try anodizing. Read different temperatures get different colors.

Kitty is handling it as good as possible. Had to take her to veterinary recently, and they were nearly clueless.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
I’m really curious why so many Associated B74 buggys keep going up for sale. Even before things went all sideways. There probably a half dozen or more currently posted. Plus a wide range on prices.
its a combination of things, indoor electric offroad racers are insane being the main one, they shave down brand new sets of tires, heat up lipos to the point its dangerous and they wont last 25 cycles and they sell cars as soon as they start to get a little sloppy.

starting to feel a little better, no longer blacking out playing vrc/videogames. im on day 8 and they say to wait ten days before onset of symptoms to leave the house. feeling better just in time to possibly go back to work on my booked off vacation time. No point in taking a vacation right now sadly.
Sir 51D3WAYS likes this.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:44 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HaulinBass View Post
its a combination of things, indoor electric offroad racers are insane being the main one, they shave down brand new sets of tires, heat up lipos to the point its dangerous and they wont last 25 cycles and they sell cars as soon as they start to get a little sloppy.

starting to feel a little better, no longer blacking out playing vrc/videogames. im on day 8 and they say to wait ten days before onset of symptoms to leave the house. feeling better just in time to possibly go back to work on my booked off vacation time. No point in taking a vacation right now sadly.
Fortunately where I’m racing at, there’s no over the top insane win at all cost drivers. Track owner and director made that clear from opening day.

I’d say half the ones posted for sale have barely run or never run.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

One of my dream cars
Sir 51D3WAYS likes this.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
One of my dream cars
https://youtu.be/GIvNLHgqS4k
Wow! I clicked this on while I was doing some other stuff and wasn't paying too close of attention until I started listening. I thought is this a gag video where they put F1 sounds in to a minivan on a track? I went and watched it at the YouTube site and no it's the real deal. My dream car too now
Dave_S likes this.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

that's one of the reasons i wanted to try anodizing. Read different temperatures get different colors.
Titanium anodizing produces colors by diffracting light that strikes the surface. Different thicknesses of titanium anodizing diffract different colors of light. This is why touching an anodized titanium part appears to change its color, because the oil from your skin temporarily changes the thickness of the coating on the metal, causing it to diffract different colors of light than before.

Titanium anodizing is also much more fragile than aluminum anodizing. Titanium dioxide is a very soft ceramic (it's the soft white powder used to make white paint and dry suntanning powder), and it is very easily scratched, whereas aluminum oxide is a very hard ceramic. The aluminum anodizing on RC parts isn't necessarily stronger than titanium anodizing because it's an extremely thin coating for purely cosmetic purposes, but hard-anodized aluminum used for industrial and military hardware is much, much stronger than titanium anodizing can ever be. That's why titanium that needs even more scratch protection than the base metal already provides is coated with titanium nitride (the gold coating on drill bits), aluminum-titanium nitride (dark purple), or titanium carbo-nitride (dull grey) instead of being anodized.

If you do try to flame-anodize any titanium parts, make sure to wash them VERY thoroughly first, and don't touch them with bare skin until after the anodizing process is complete. If you don't, your skin oil will burn on the metal and interfere with the anodizing layer, causing it to turn-out a mottled brown color no matter what you do.
Sir 51D3WAYS and Dave_S like this.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:16 PM
Tech Champion

In other news, my latest build thread is getting no love. I haz a disappoint.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:28 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Still can’t get through to file for unemployment. Neither online or by phone.

Before the rain started raked half front yard. Not in good shape.

Started on the garage. First load will go to dumpster tonight. Not as bad as it looked. Shouldn’t take as long as I thought to get somewhat reasonably organized.

Now looks like I’m sucked into watching “First Blood”.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
In other news, my latest build thread is getting no love. I haz a disappoint.
which one, 4 stroke traxxas?
Old 03-26-2020, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
Still can’t get through to file for unemployment. Neither online or by phone.

Before the rain started raked half front yard. Not in good shape.

Started on the garage. First load will go to dumpster tonight. Not as bad as it looked. Shouldn’t take as long as I thought to get somewhat reasonably organized.

Now looks like I’m sucked into watching “First Blood”.
I hope checks get sent out soon. I'm worried about lady upstairs. She's out of work now, lives paycheck to paycheck, supports adult son, and just bought newer car.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

which one, 4 stroke traxxas?
that would explain why it's getting no love
Sir 51D3WAYS likes this.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well, the little guy arrived today here it is next to my robovie-nano. Very similar in height, the 200mm to 300mm size humanoid robots are by far my favorite. I have the bigger ones in the 300mm to 400mm size but these smaller ones are more fun for me.
Dave_S likes this.

Last edited by Speed Chaser; 03-26-2020 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:21 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by st_dragn_wagen View Post
that would explain why it's getting no love
Old 03-26-2020, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

One of my dream cars
https://youtu.be/GIvNLHgqS4k
Originally Posted by Milkdudd View Post
Wow! I clicked this on while I was doing some other stuff and wasn't paying too close of attention until I started listening. I thought is this a gag video where they put F1 sounds in to a minivan on a track? I went and watched it at the YouTube site and no it's the real deal. My dream car too now
There also used to be a what was the body of a Ford Transit van that was mounted on to a Benetton ex-F1 chassis and drivetrain, over in UK. Was even more mental.

And the Ford Transit powered by the engine from XJ220.

Kitty is handling it as good as possible. Had to take her to veterinary recently, and they were nearly clueless.
Looks like it's time to introduce her to Jack Daniels......
Old 03-26-2020, 08:53 PM
Tech Champion

This evening I whacked the back of my thumb with a hammer, on the knuckle, right where the tendon and a vein go over the top of the knuckle joint. My thumb has been throbbing for a couple hours. It's gonna be fun going to sleep tonight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.