Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
The official Useless "I have nothing better to do thread" >

The official Useless "I have nothing better to do thread"

Like Tree1287Likes

The official Useless "I have nothing better to do thread"

Old 02-11-2019, 04:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by HaulinBass View Post
i had the first and second tokyo extreme games on DC also had zero for either the playstation or xbox mid 2000s.
once you beat the final boss in tokyo 1 on a certain day and direction you would be challenged by a datsun fairlady powered by a 454 or something like that. It was silly fast.
That was not how it worked. At least not on the first one. The Devil, a nod to the Wangan Midnight series, was simply the final boss. There was a complicated sequence of tasks you had to do in order to obtain the car in the first game. In the second game you just had win a race against the boss. That said the japanese and european/american versions did differ between them so I am not entirely sure.

I owned the second game in the series and I am still playing it 20 years after. The game features some racers called wanderers that appear on specific areas under specific conditions that are also only raceable under further specific conditions. On top of that some teams have certain members that behave similarly. Add that to a great selection of cars and tuning and that game has insane replay value.

I also had tokyo extreme racer zero on PS2 but to this day I prefer the dreamcast version.

The legendary devil z from Wangan midnight did not have a 454 but an increased displacement L 28 that was twin turbocharged making around 600hp. The thing was that the car was extremely light and snappy and supposedly has killed a few owners according to manga/anime lore. It was based, ironically, on a later S130 280ZX coupe, which did exist in real life, worked by Air Breathing Research (ABR) Hosoki, which had 680 horsepower (600 at the wheels) and ran on L28E electronically fuel-injected engine instead of the anime car's triple-carbureted L28, which can propel the car to 350 km/h.

Funny thing is that ABC hobby is making a devil z lexan body set that has me drooling.

The game also pays homage to initial d. Yes, I am a fan...
fyrstormer likes this.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tamiyadan View Post
If you want to realize how you can never go back: all the japan only releases too.

https://the-eye.eu/public/rom/NEC%20...rboGrafx%2016/

run it on your retropie.
Tamiyadan is the link you posted only for the Japanese version of the roms? I saw that they have a Nintendo Gameboy section is there a way on it to do a complete download of the entire selection or do you have to go one by one. Do you have a retropie yourself? I am currently building another one since one of my friends saw it and he was hooked on it.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I’ve seen this body for sale for quite some time. Looked good but not enuff to make me buy. I don’t really remember these being in States. Maybe California.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:22 PM
Tech Elite

My old pretend Datsun. (Gran Turismo Sport)

Old 02-11-2019, 10:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

For one moment, I thought that was real life.^^
Dave_S and Billy Kelly like this.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Sir 51D3WAYS View Post
For one moment, I thought that was real life.^^
back in the 80s or early 90s my brother had a datsun. I had no idea how cool they were back then.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Our local carpet track celebrated being open two years this weekend. we only ran two rounds of qualifying and a main. The track owner provide pulled pork and every one else brought a covered dish and we had us a good family fun pot luck. It was a real good day of rc family fun.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:42 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 55Guy View Post
Our local carpet track celebrated being open two years this weekend. we only ran two rounds of qualifying and a main. The track owner provide pulled pork and every one else brought a covered dish and we had us a good family fun pot luck. It was a real good day of rc family fun.

I love this. I wish there were more tracks with this kind of vibe.
Dave_S likes this.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:14 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
back in the 80s or early 90s my brother had a datsun. I had no idea how cool they were back then.
Tell me about it. There was a time back in Greece where everyone in agriculture owned a datsun mini-truck. These were workhorse that endured decades of abuse and you can still get one for pennies. Even though there is a sub-culture that has spread around the world that made them highly sought after, most of the ones I have seen are too abused to demand any serious prices or be fun projects. If I knew how cool they would have become I would have probably got one around the time I got my license back in '05. The cooles thing I have seen was a sports coupe sunny (b210) that went for like 500$ back in '07. Super cool mid 70's vibe.
Dave_S likes this.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Did some "wall papering" today.

Dave_S likes this.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:55 AM
Tech Champion

Going to be an ugly morning. Freezing rain last night has left everything covered in ice.
Dave_S likes this.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:58 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rccartips View Post
Did some "wall papering" today.

https://youtu.be/M5GswqIsguM
I cut all my boxes awhile back to do something like this in my basement.

Bet the women love the decorations.
Dave_S likes this.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sir 51D3WAYS View Post
All this talk of emulator reminded me of something.

Remember a game called Daytona USA? Arcade game way back in the 90s. Back in high school, a classmate somehow got his hands on the ROM of that game. How someone managed to remove the ROM from the arcade machine into a PC is beyond me. He then found the appropriate emulator for it and played it on PC! How; I do not know and will never know. He brought it to school and played it on the school computer and broadcast that shit on the projector for our entertainment before lessons started/between lessons/recess.

Good times....
Actually pretty easy. EPROMs pop right out, and if you have an emulator, it's easy to copy the program. Download it to a PC, and now you're playing it in whatever you want.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:56 AM
Tech Master

EPROM
EPROM (erasable programmable read-only memory) is programmable read-only memory (programmable ROM) that can be erased and re-used. Erasure is caused by shining an intense ultraviolet light through a window that is designed into the memory chip.

pop in,, pop out...

Commodore 64's.. to fix there file drive errors.. they shipped new chips to owners... with directions on opening up the computers..swap out the chip.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sounds like you've changed a few chips in your lifetime.

Commodore's, where you used a TV as a monitor.

Now you use a monitor as a TV

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service