Solution for stock racing motor fade >

Solution for stock racing motor fade

Like Tree1Likes

Solution for stock racing motor fade

Old 11-08-2018, 07:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Solution for stock racing motor fade

One of the annoyance with stock racing is motor fade. You start out punchy then gradually lose that punch. This takes away consistency. What if we can come up with something to make that power band flat throughout the 5 minute heat?

I think the solution is in the radio. And it works something like this: throttle EPA would be reduced in the beginning to cut back on the punch then gradually increase till it reaches 100% as the battery voltage fades. Since not every battery/motor/track are the same, all this would be totally programmable/adjustable to your situation. For instance the rate at which EPA increases can be adjusted. How much EPA to cut back can be adjusted.

Just something I thought of and I donít know how practical it would be. Staying consistent is key to winning.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

For what class would this be? In my limited racing experience, I’ve yet to run into a this. I’ve only run a “stock” class in small 1/28 scale.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:03 AM
Tech Adept

This could be applied to all classes but stock and usgt would probably benefit the most since battery/motor fade is felt more.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:07 AM
Tech Adept

What I'm proposing is just adding additional function on your radio to program/adjust your EPA and the rate at which it rises over the 5 min duration.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by johnzhou2476 View Post
This could be applied to all classes but stock and usgt would probably benefit the most since battery/motor fade is felt more.
Ive run USGT for 2 summers. Never noticed any kind of fade. I’m still off pace of the fast guys I run with. Usually change battery after 2 rounds/practice. Many times my last few laps are my quickest

i use a few different radios over past two years. Some basic with only trim and dual rate function. The others have the features, but I’ve yet to look into them. I do plan to consolidate my race vehicles on to single controller over winter
Old 11-08-2018, 08:40 AM
Tech Adept

Really...my experience is total opposite. Could be my batteries but I start off punchy and hard to control then things settle and the car becomes easier to drive.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Fade is part of racing. We don't need more rules. If you want to drive around at 1/2 throttle for the whole race have at it, I'm going to drive normally.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:22 AM
Tech Adept

You're right fade is part of racing. Some don't like it and some deal with it. I'm not adding more rules but suggesting ideas to mitigate the fade issue so that we can be more consistent. Why so harsh? Who says anything about driving at 1/2 throttle?
Old 11-08-2018, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by johnzhou2476 View Post
Really...my experience is total opposite. Could be my batteries but I start off punchy and hard to control then things settle and the car becomes easier to drive.
Iíd try different batteries. Iíve heard the guys I race with talk about battery fade, or having to conserve batteries during races back in the days of nimh batteries and brushed motors. But not with Lipo and brushless. Always thought that was one of the big differences with Lipo over nimh. No fade. We usually run 5 or 6 minute heats, depending on how many classes we are running. Sometimes will run a 8 minute final. I typically start the day with a 7000mah battery. That gives me good 20 minutes, could be longer but I keep my voltage cutoff set on the higher side. Then for last two rounds I use a 5000mah.

Now Iíve also run 1/18 for fun racing. I found that brushless and Lipo was too much for the size layout we use. So switched to nimh. In this case I can tell when battery is almost done.

Canít recall any one mentioning fade in the USGT or VTA threads here in long time. Few found that they were trying to use smaller capacity batteries, and struggled to get though. But thatís about all can think off
Old 11-08-2018, 11:27 AM
JC3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

With proper gearing and attention to timing, fade (heat) can be significantly reduced. Many of the high level guys I race with have reduced their motor temps to around 120 degrees and some even lower than that. No fade there.
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:06 PM
Tech Addict

timing, gearing,,, driver skill is what to use.

back in the "DAY" 27 turn brushed motor, 1200ma nicad ( MAX they made then )... we had once a month race... winner is the one still moving .. no time limit... driver skill and control of throttle...
some of us were doing 12 minutes... oval carpet, 1/10 pan car...
Old 11-08-2018, 02:13 PM
Tech Adept

Ok thanks everyone's for the input. Maybe this is really not an issue and I'm overthinking it.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What's your motor temp after a race? Fade means heat, and heat means you're over geared. Are you running fans?
Old 11-08-2018, 03:23 PM
Tech Adept

Jiml - I think I got my terminology mixed up. I don’t have a fade issue. My motor is geared correctly and is running cool at around 120 with the fan on.

What I’m experiencing is more of an battery issue (probably cuz it’s a cheap and old). My first few laps would start out strong and punchy…then the punch fades and becomes more drivable for me. I just need to remember to go easy on the throttle for the first few laps.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:03 PM
Tech Addict

or get a Fresh New battery... all batteries get old/tired after a year or 2...

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service