Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Any computer ( PC ) geeks in here? >

Any computer ( PC ) geeks in here?

Any computer ( PC ) geeks in here?

Old 09-14-2018, 08:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Any computer ( PC ) geeks in here?

Running Win 10 on our desktop and a laptop - both 3-4 years old. Tried to install System Mechanic utility software to maintain the systems - auto clean up of internet cookies , Windows junk files, registry errors, and optimize other settings. I was happy for the last year, but they recently did an upgrade and things aren't going so well. When the system is idle, I'm getting a popup saying a background program has failed and would I like to send a crash log to the developers. When this happens the System Mechanic icon shows on the bottom task bar. It's also deleting my bookmarks in Chrome. I re-create them, and they disappear again. Last time this happened, I deleted System Mechanic and surprisingly all my bookmarks came back on their own. I reloaded System Mechanic, and after a few days the problems returned.

It's painful and slow to get customer support and I'm ready to delete the program and move on. Is there a better utility out there, and is it even needed?
Old 09-15-2018, 01:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Blanket programs like that system mechanic will always have issues, and I would not recommend them. In some cases they can and will sit and "fight" the antivirus software or firewall while trying to make these changes in your system it trips the logic that is looking for a malicious action, even if benign. Everything you described you can do with existing Windows 10 settings, they may be a bit hard to find but it can be done pretty quickly. I would uninstall System Mechanic, and not re-install it, basically my most recent Windows 10 machine has a good free antivirus software set running, and that's about it.

Basically, set up your computer to purge net cookies, junk files, and all that after a certain amount of time, not with an additional program.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks for the feedback - program deleted and I'm learning how to maintain without it. Is Disk Clean the go to for deletion of cookies, temp files, etc?

Another thing the utility did was alert to "Low Memory", which appeared to imply RAM. It would "free memory" when activated. Is this a thing where RAM needs to be cleared?

Thanks
Old 09-17-2018, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by belewis01 View Post
Thanks for the feedback - program deleted and I'm learning how to maintain without it. Is Disk Clean the go to for deletion of cookies, temp files, etc?

Another thing the utility did was alert to "Low Memory", which appeared to imply RAM. It would "free memory" when activated. Is this a thing where RAM needs to be cleared?

Thanks
Disk Cleanup is already part of Windows 10. Don't download anything, all that leads to is malware and Eye-Dee TEN-T User problems.

RAM does not need clearing. Turning off the computer clears the ram every use, if you have excessive RAM used up while doing normal stuff its because the computer loaded all kinds of programs you didn't ask for, probably as part of the Start Up options, if your computer is loading programs automatically that you don't want, go through the programs options menu to uncheck the box that says to load on startup.