My stable of cars is:
Traxxas Stampede
Traxxas Fort GT
Traxxas Slash 4x4 Platnium
Arrma Talion
Lost 8ight nitro
HPI Savage XL 4.6
Some 1/16 Dromidia cars

And I can't get enthused about running any of them. Driving up and down the street is boring, but I don't know where to go or what I want to do. I've gone to the local track but that gets tiring quickly and it's hot and miserable outside. I kinda sorta want to race, but I dunno, I really don't want to throw money down that rabbit hole, and I have so much to learn that it just seems daunting and inaccessible. I just want to drive my cars and have fun like I used to.

Anyone else been in this position?
Lepozo likes this.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I’m pretty sure we’ve all be there. There no real answer. It’s a matter I’ve finding what you like doing with the vehicles.

While I’ve stepped into racing, F1,USGT, 17.5TC, it’s only a small percentage of my running. I’ve got my own timing system so I spend a lot of time running my own courses. Even when racing, I’m basically racing against my previous times. I’m laps down so I’m not really competing with the others. I just try to improve a little each race.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 199 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
My stable of cars is:
Traxxas Stampede
Traxxas Fort GT
Traxxas Slash 4x4 Platnium
Arrma Talion
Lost 8ight nitro
HPI Savage XL 4.6
Some 1/16 Dromidia cars

And I can't get enthused about running any of them. Driving up and down the street is boring, but I don't know where to go or what I want to do. I've gone to the local track but that gets tiring quickly and it's hot and miserable outside. I kinda sorta want to race, but I dunno, I really don't want to throw money down that rabbit hole, and I have so much to learn that it just seems daunting and inaccessible. I just want to drive my cars and have fun like I used to.

Anyone else been in this position?
sell the cars and maybe try knitting
Old 06-17-2018, 07:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 363 (100%+)

Start doing mods on them , frankesteining , mixing and matching brands . Bench Engineering and tinkering goes a long way
Marcos.J and Troubles Dad like this.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Try a crawler..it'll make you appreciate the speed of your other cars..haha
Marcos.J, Radi0Flyer and slick2500 like this.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I didn't absolutely love my RC's for over a decade, until I got my first real race kit with my own engine, pipe, etc. Nothing is more fun than whipping around a real kit that handles like a dream.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

im in it right now. made the mistake of looking at the shelving unit all my cars are on and noticed that most of it's discontinued/outdated/hard to find parts for. realized that most of them i haven't had for very long. and came to the conclusion "what a complete waste of time, money, and space". took all the wind out of my sails.
i forced myself a few weeks ago to mount and paint a body. used to enjoy that, can't say i had fun doing it. i need go buy body posts for 2 cars, maybe a 10 dollar expense, iv had a $10 bill in my wallet for a good 3 months, and i just don't care.
i haven't even driven an RC in at least a few months.
the shelving unit with all my RC stuff is right inside the garage door, i have to walk past it to get back to the workbench. every time i open the garage door and walk past it im disgusted. iv been around the hobby sense the early 90's, bought my own hobby grade car in the spring of 1998, but if had known the direction the industry would take and this is where it would end up i never would have gotten involved.
i doubt it'll be knitting, but idk what ill do next. idk where all my time, energy and money is going to go. cause im so over it that iv been unsubbing/unfallowing all RC content on internet and social media. i think the only reason im still on a couple (literally 2) forums is out of habit, then i end up making a post. that post becomes part of the conversation and it just keeps going, and the cycle continues.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:52 AM
Tech Champion

Get a girlfriend......
Old 06-18-2018, 06:39 AM
Tech Champion

Savage.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:52 AM
Tech Addict

its like owning a Boat.. RC or real... limited access... same old thing quickly..

I race... when I was young I did several types of Amateur car and motorcycle racing...

been RC racing since 1991.... and still love it... the racing is Nice.. but pre and post racing is my favorite part.. (wrenching)
I have always purchased the "KIT" and build the car or truck ... FUN...
after "x" number of races.. the kit is disassembled / cleaned / inspected / oil/greased / repaired if needed.. reassembled.. all setting checked or adjusted..

but then I am a retired Auto mechanic...
Old 06-18-2018, 09:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Get a girlfriend......
those are even more expensive and always seem to end up just as disappointing
savage24x likes this.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:28 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by st_dragn_wagen View Post
as are Wife's......

after the wedding.. and a couple of years.. Wife becomes a house keeper without benefits
savage24x likes this.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 199 (100%+)

well i think paying for it is illegal in most states
Old 06-18-2018, 09:54 AM
Tech Champion

Finally you will end up having fun with RC cars again.
savage24x likes this.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:31 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oasis View Post
Try a crawler..it'll make you appreciate the speed of your other cars..haha
That's not a bad idea actually. I could easily build a crawler course in my backyard.

im in it right now. made the mistake of looking at the shelving unit all my cars are on and noticed that most of it's discontinued/outdated/hard to find parts for. realized that most of them i haven't had for very long. and came to the conclusion "what a complete waste of time, money, and space". took all the wind out of my sails.
i forced myself a few weeks ago to mount and paint a body. used to enjoy that, can't say i had fun doing it. i need go buy body posts for 2 cars, maybe a 10 dollar expense, iv had a $10 bill in my wallet for a good 3 months, and i just don't care.
i haven't even driven an RC in at least a few months.
the shelving unit with all my RC stuff is right inside the garage door, i have to walk past it to get back to the workbench. every time i open the garage door and walk past it im disgusted. iv been around the hobby sense the early 90's, bought my own hobby grade car in the spring of 1998, but if had known the direction the industry would take and this is where it would end up i never would have gotten involved.
i doubt it'll be knitting, but idk what ill do next. idk where all my time, energy and money is going to go. cause im so over it that iv been unsubbing/unfallowing all RC content on internet and social media. i think the only reason im still on a couple (literally 2) forums is out of habit, then i end up making a post. that post becomes part of the conversation and it just keeps going, and the cycle continues.
I agree with most of what you wrote. Cars are literally sitting next to me as I type this and looking at them is just making me sad.

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Get a girlfriend......
My wife probably won't appreciate that.

Originally Posted by chuck_thehammer View Post
its like owning a Boat.. RC or real... limited access... same old thing quickly..

I race... when I was young I did several types of Amateur car and motorcycle racing...

been RC racing since 1991.... and still love it... the racing is Nice.. but pre and post racing is my favorite part.. (wrenching)
I have always purchased the "KIT" and build the car or truck ... FUN...
after "x" number of races.. the kit is disassembled / cleaned / inspected / oil/greased / repaired if needed.. reassembled.. all setting checked or adjusted..

but then I am a retired Auto mechanic...
I loved the building aspect of the cars. Seems that's all gone now. When I started in the late 80s, you built your car. I worked in a hobby shop as a kid, and built and painted so many cars; I loved every moment of it. Now everything is RTR, and just finding a kit is a pain in the ass, other than the Tamiya re-releases. I've considered buying a few of the ones I loved back then but when I'm done building them I know they will just sit on the shelf and collect dust. Yeah, I know I can rip apart the ones I have, but that seems pointless to me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service