I'm bored with my cars >

I'm bored with my cars

Like Tree27Likes

I'm bored with my cars

Old 06-19-2018, 08:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
I donít think anyone was saying money=wins. Or referring to ďtop guysĒ. Just the expense of getting involved. In one summer of USGT and F1 was close to $500 in tires alone. Add couple transponders, bodies, race fees, even local travel and miscellaneous parts and itís easy to bust the $1,000 mark. Without cost of vehicles.
Originally Posted by chuck_thehammer View Post
I agree, NO one said that...
after all the money.. then 10 times more in time.... HELL it took me 10 years before I got GOOD... with very few local wins...
and its just LIKE REAL racing.. cars or motorcycle racing... years to get to be OK...

but with RC... there is NO CASH winnings.. no sponsors.. well except for a very FEW....
Sorry guys, I was venting a bit there. A bit harsh on my end, my apologies.

Rc racing is not too expensive, it's the cost-to-reward that sucks for some people. I guess that actually is the definition of expensive, what do you get in return for your money. For me, Rc racing is cheap as hell. I get a lot out of it for the money.

rm
Old 06-19-2018, 08:46 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
You've had a ferret since 88, like 1988?
My sister adopted a ferret back in the late 90s. It immediately shit on the family couch.......... and that was the first time I heard my father say the F word.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:07 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by the rc guy View Post
No get a ferret then you wont get bored had 1 since 88 best animal ive owned besides my Malukan cockatoo
Is his name Fred?

Sean
Old 06-19-2018, 09:09 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by slackinoff View Post
Good for you! My call is K5AGE by the way. Last night I was the net control operate for our club's 2m net which is always fun to do. These two hobbies satisfy me pretty good. I get my wrenching fix with racing Rc and my nerd out fix with amateur radio. I will NOT add another hobby unless one of these two go. I have made that promise to myself.
You guys are funny. I race dirtbikes.
My riding buddies tell me I'm nerding out when I do RC.

Sean
Old 06-19-2018, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

If it's still alive that ferret is probably a record holder, lol.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Sorry guys, I was venting a bit there. A bit harsh on my end, my apologies.

Rc racing is not too expensive, it's the cost-to-reward that sucks for some people. I guess that actually is the definition of expensive, what do you get in return for your money. For me, Rc racing is cheap as hell. I get a lot out of it for the money.

rm
No problem. It happens.

Iíve had to do some adjusting to what Iím spending for racing. Iíd have spent it anyway on RC stuff. Previously the money spent on the stuff needs to race, tires, transponders, and so on would have bought a nice vehicle or two.
I canít imagine what some of the travel racers spend.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:02 PM
Tech Regular

That sounds awesome! I would love to do FPV one day on a long range glider type aircraft.
I bought a Bixler FPV plane some years ago and was going to do just that. Then all of a sudden the rules for model aircraft just got stupid here in Canada. Planes, drones, anything that flies really. Pretty soon I'll need a permit if my Slash 4x4 leaves the ground.

Sean
slackinoff likes this.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hey Gentoo...
I'm kinda in the same spot as you... I have 34 rc cars that have been on the shelf for a while and am not sure what to do... I was REALY.. in to it for a while and then... LIFE HAPPENED... I am in a spot now and think I want to get back in but not sure what to do and where to go... I would say if running your cars make you happy DO IT! Some times you just have to do what makes you smile for a while... It is worth every dime...
Old 06-20-2018, 05:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
You've had a ferret since 88, like 1988?
yes 1988 .. I have owned several they normally have a life span of 12 years.. 1st one lived 17.. the next less than a year ate a nerf football.. then a few more since
Old 06-20-2018, 07:51 AM
Tech Champion

If all you do is chase the big races then yeah, it's going to be expensive. You're trying to put your best on the track up against somebody else' best. That's racing. How about making r/c fun again and just spend some time at your local track with some like minded buddies. Could even be just practice.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mason View Post
If all you do is chase the big races then yeah, it's going to be expensive. You're trying to put your best on the track up against somebody else' best. That's racing. How about making r/c fun again and just spend some time at your local track with some like minded buddies. Could even be just practice.

thatís pretty much how the group I race with is. We plan to run 2 classes. Depending on how many shoe weíve blended classes. Itís a relaxed style. Iím basically competing against my previous times. Iím at best 2 laps off the others. But I donít care. Iím having fun with it. Just try to improve each time out. The others have been racing for 15-20 years , Iím in year 2. Unfortunately weíve lost about 1/2 our group due to job changes and family situations.
Mason likes this.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Radi0Flyer View Post
You guys are funny. I race dirtbikes.
My riding buddies tell me I'm nerding out when I do RC.

Sean
It is quite funny to tell people about it in person, most people get a laugh and I agree, it is very very nerdy. But I can't deny how fascinating it really is to me, especially with some of the research work some guys are into. Using satellites to make contacts is big, as is using the moon to bounce signals of off. It has so many different niches, I love that the most about it. You can spend a lifetime learning and not get bored.

Ham radio does have a thrilling side. Climbing Towers. That's what got me into it. I briefly wanted to climb as a career, but decided to take a different career path. I do climb towers though, non-professionally, mostly for my friends, or other Hams. Much safer than racing dirt bikes though, I understand. I club raced motocross from 13 to 17 then later I got into enduro racing, 90+ min races. I raced the TORCS (Texas Off Road Championship Series) in my mid 20s till 6 years ago. That was insane, thinking back on it. I feel much better perched on a tower with all my gear.

Rm
Radi0Flyer likes this.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Radi0Flyer View Post
I bought a Bixler FPV plane some years ago and was going to do just that. Then all of a sudden the rules for model aircraft just got stupid here in Canada. Planes, drones, anything that flies really. Pretty soon I'll need a permit if my Slash 4x4 leaves the ground.

Sean
I heard about those rules on a youtube a while back....they were going to charge per flight or something? It seemed completely unfair. Sorry to hear however to turned, it sounds un good.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:55 AM
Tech Regular

I heard about those rules on a youtube a while back....they were going to charge per flight or something? It seemed completely unfair. Sorry to hear however to turned, it sounds un good.
keep in mind in the USA we have the same or worse laws on anything remote control it all applies to public land.
it is basically illegal to have anything remote control in the air, water, or land on public land. Private land you can do whatever you want. the trick is very few people have enough private land to fly an airplane, or drive a vehicle or float a boat.
in my city flying is only allowed in 3 public parks and requires AMA permits and a parks Permit and proof of insurance.
there are signs posted everywhere that any projectiles or radio/remote control vehicles are prohibited. equally sad and funny, Projectiles also cover ball fields and you can only play ball in many public parks here by permit only.
they have parks police that hand out tickets like candy since it makes them money. i found out about how crazy things had gotten since 9-11 when i wanted to take my nephew and cousin out to the park to fly model rockets.
they are banned at all public parks. you basically have to run into the park blast off and run out before you get caught or you need to fly in the dead of winter when the park is devoid of all life to not get arrested.

i personally had a conversion with parks employees and a police officer on the subject. I've also looked all over the state and downloaded countless town park PDFs covering rules and regulations. they have forced you onto private land.
part of the ban was also due to insurance. they decided that while an accident involving a R/C vehicle is small better to just ban it.

now for private land you can do what you want if you own it but just about nobody has acres of land, if you invite people onto your land you will discover it voids your home owners insurance and if somebody does get hurt they will sue the crap out of you.
this was why private flying fields all disappeared in the late 1990s. today all those old flying fields are now full of Solar Panels feeding the grid and giving royalties to the owners.

as an example i have one Aunt that happens to have 10 acres of open land so i asked her about bringing kids and having a rocket day, and or flying day, i explained the situation and after thinking about it, the response was "i understand, but no": this is understandable when you get into it so my basement is full of estas rockets that i can not really fly anywhere. this also explains the rise of micro R/C a smaller radio control vehicle is easier to manage in an average city sized yard of 20 feet if you are lucky. my uncle has a 1-2 acre backyard with lots of trees but we have flown mini drones there. the days of my 1/4 scale cub flying around are sadly gone.

for fun adam corolla on beaches
Old 06-21-2018, 12:49 PM
Tech Regular

I guess we are lucky, our town's Rc Airplane club gets to use an old unused runway AT THE REGIONAL AIRPORT! All that's needed is year of club dues and an active AMA card. It's super fun to fly there because of the full size aircraft. You can walk up and talk with the owners about them, some have even given me a few rides. I live in a small college town, 35k people. It's a trip back in time to live here.....and it's not always the good stuff you remember. I even buy my leaded gasoline at the airport.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service