Tower Hobby going 'under' ??? >

Tower Hobby going 'under' ???

Like Tree83Likes

Tower Hobby going 'under' ???

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 02:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Tower Hobby going 'under' ???

I'm starting to hear some chatter about Tower going out of business. Anyone else hearing anything about this, or just another rumor?

Last edited by RGunn; 01-09-2018 at 04:59 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-08-2018, 02:47 PM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You're seeing a reduction in what Tower carries because Hobbico is involved in ongoing litigation with Traxxas. As Hobbico's sister company, those cases effect the brands Tower can/will be able to sell and cost money to defend.
You can read more about those cases here: https://www.rctech.net/forum/chat-lo...hat-going.html and here: https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=42359
In the big picture, I wouldn't worry about Tower Hobbies.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the link to the existing thread. At least I know now that what I have heard does have some merit.

Would be sad to see Tower go as they have been around for decades.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I'm hearing it is not going to be around also...straight from a LHS...
Old 01-09-2018, 04:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Well that sucks. I have been emailing them daily for an answer as to when they will be stocking Kyosho/Tamiya kits. Havent gotten a single answer in almost 3 weeks of emailing them.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Doesn't surprise me, I haven't bought a thing from Tower in years. Especially with pending litigation. Sad, as I remember them from way back when I was a kid.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Jesus, that one on RC10.com is frightening. They link to a list of patents that Traxxas filed for and one was "tire tread". I really hope they can just let it go. Hate to see Tower go out of business.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (98%+)

I think the hobby would be better off if greedy Traxxas went under!
Old 01-09-2018, 07:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

I think Tower can focus on planes, quadcopters, boats, etc. and be just fine with losing some of the ground based market.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan View Post
I think the hobby would be better off if greedy Traxxas went under!
Traxxas was always a double edge sword. LHS's couldn't avoid supporting them once the T-MAXX hit at half the price of Losi or Associated MT and once the Revo hit it was too late to ignore them. They could but Tower Hobbies and have their own supply chain to control market prices under the name Tower Hobbies. But you can't blame Traxxas for making a product just good enough for back yard bashers to enjoy for a summer, modify the hell out of them to keep them running and then end up buying something else afterwards.
Lonestar likes this.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Digit09 View Post
Traxxas was always a double edge sword. LHS's couldn't avoid supporting them once the T-MAXX hit at half the price of Losi or Associated MT and once the Revo hit it was too late to ignore them. They could but Tower Hobbies and have their own supply chain to control market prices under the name Tower Hobbies. But you can't blame Traxxas for making a product just good enough for back yard bashers to enjoy for a summer, modify the hell out of them to keep them running and then end up buying something else afterwards.
i had an LHS that didnt sell traxxas. they were even considered the better hobby shop in the area even during the tmaxx craze. even during the slash craze they werent selling traxxas
they finally closed about 4 years ago, but i cant say not selling traxxas was the reason for it
so it is possible for a hobby shop to stay in business without dealing with the double edge sword wielding patent troll
billdelong and skater-deez1 like this.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (98%+)

No offense to any Bashers (if you wrench on your own cars dont be offended here, does not apply), but what Traxxas has created is a bunch of lazy speed hungry "hobbyists" - in quotation because they seem to think they are in the same hobby as someone that built their kit, programmed their esc, tuned their own engine... i think everyone can understand that point. and when you have Radio Control Car Action all over Traxxas, that does not help either! Kids are brainwashed into thinking the hobby is easy, and dont have to put forth any effort. The same people that come onto rctech and do nit want to search through existing threads to get an answer, then start a new thread, and when it gets too technical fade away. Most LHS now are just Traxxas repair shops, or am i wrong?

I am glad in Europe most hobby shops have went away from Traxxas, heck Traxxas led to the original European distributors (Triox) demise!

Sorry, I raced the Blue Eagle and TRX1 back in the day, when Traxxas was more race oriented, and you had to build your own kits. I remember doing mail order from Tower, when they still carried Yokomo and Serpent.

For as long as Tamiya has been around, and how streamlined they are, they are not acting like Traxxas!

I know its the nature of buisness... oh well, so i do my part, no Traxxas here. Last Traxxas i owned was a Jato 2.5.

rant over..
Old 01-09-2018, 11:32 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan View Post
No offense to any Bashers (if you wrench on your own cars dont be offended here, does not apply), but what Traxxas has created is a bunch of lazy speed hungry "hobbyists" - in quotation because they seem to think they are in the same hobby as someone that built their kit, programmed their esc, tuned their own engine... i think everyone can understand that point. and when you have Radio Control Car Action all over Traxxas, that does not help either! Kids are brainwashed into thinking the hobby is easy, and dont have to put forth any effort. The same people that come onto rctech and do nit want to search through existing threads to get an answer, then start a new thread, and when it gets too technical fade away. Most LHS now are just Traxxas repair shops, or am i wrong?
i can remember preaching that exact same thing (and more and in great detail) back in 1999-2000 on i think it was the rc car action forum (just before i stopped reading that heavily bias peace of trash), and was called crazy, personally attacked and run out of town. traxxas fanboys are dangerous
Old 01-09-2018, 02:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sorry to be the contrarian here, but say what you want about Traxxas; they are pretty much single-handedly responsible for the fact that there is any kind of basher RC hobby, period. Duratrax was in there too, but for reasons that I don't know, they failed to capitalize on early momentum in the way that Traxxas did.

I'm not excusing the patent troll stuff, and I'm not arguing that Traxxas is a shining example of all that is good in the world. I'm simply saying that it is not far-fetched to suggest that the R/C car/truck hobby would be pretty much dead by now without them (and to a lesser extent, Duratrax). If you're under 35 you might have no idea what I'm talking about, but it's a very reasonable possibility.

One big example is when the T-Maxx came out in 1997. That truck was solely responsible for many a LHS turning a profit the year it came out (or the year after...it came out just before Christmas IIRC). Before the T-Maxx, the only way to get anything on the same planet as the performance in it was to buy and build a very very expensive kit. At my LHS the owner busted one out when they came in and bashed it around the parking lot. Within a week, I think 10 of us who were there practicing on-road that night all had them. IIRC he sold something like 60 of them in the first 6 weeks; nothing else came close volume or profit wise.

Then, consider the Slash. How many off-road tracks 10 years ago had fully half of their race entries as Slash racers?
Lonestar and BJoe like this.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Traxxas might be the anti-racer, BUT the brand and marketing get a massive amount of people into the hobby and the profit margins on the kits and parts keep many LHS's in business.

Without new blood coming into the hobby it will eventually shrivel up and die off.
Bar, 05PSD, BJoe and 1 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service