R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge

Like Tree58Likes

Old 01-12-2018, 02:20 PM   #76
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick2500 View Post
I thought some of the Trackstar escs were rebranded Hobbywing escs?

Arrma does this with their escs, the BLX185 is a neutered Quickrun 08BL150 esc. And the esc in the Nero is a neutered Ezrun Max8. You cannot put the Hobbywing firmware on either as it is locked, but you can use the program cards.
Forgot about that one too, FlySky is another popular brand I missed, in know they've got dozens of OEM's under them, though not sure which are owned/controlled by Hextronics or what their partnership/agreements are.

I believe all of their X-Car series are HobbyWing compatible (perhaps early revisions of HobbyWing products maybe?), they were also rebranded through Brushless Hobbies, another a defunct brand that shut down a couple years ago but once was very popular about 5 years ago. I think RCJuice has since replaced their spot on the "RC Map".

Another emerging distributor is Banggood who is a direct reseller, they pretty much cover every imaginable cheap Chinese manufactured product from all markets beyond RC too. I absolutely love their JX brand servos, specifically the solid metal case brushless servos... by far the best bang for the buck... best part is you can buy their cheap $10 servos which have compatible metal gears to swap out for replacement gear sets on the cheap. I've only stripped 1 metal gear in my 1/8 Truggy after 10 months of racing so overall I am very happy with the brand.
billdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:27 PM   #77
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I had sales tax from them, and they always screws up my super saver club.
Sales Tax is the single biggest reason why I generally don't buy within the same state I live, really weird how it works that way, Banggood also offers free shipping regardless of how much you spend which is another massive incentive, though I do regularly try to buy parts from the on-site shop at our track just to keep them going, hard to spend all my money there because I like to run a lot of classes and need to find ways to stretch my dollar, but anything the LHS sells within a few bucks will get me to buy from them first.... if I'm saving $20+ then I'm gonna buy out of state or from China/Taiwan.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:09 PM   #78
Bar
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apco1 View Post
Maybe... doesn't change that it typically is an old guy hobby. I also wouldn't equate perceived growth as a sign of a strong industry. Hobbico grew massively the past two decades, what did it get them?
RC is an old guy hobby, I have been finding kids are getting younger that want to play with electric rc cars.
Bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:27 PM   #79
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
I absolutely love their JX brand servos, specifically the solid metal case brushless servos... by far the best bang for the buck... best part is you can buy their cheap $10 servos which have compatible metal gears to swap out for replacement gear sets on the cheap
Yup, majority of my servos are JX now. So cheap, and work very nicely. I believe I read somewhere that they are basically PowerHD servos, just like TrackStar servos are. Hard to justify $70+ for a Savox or an even more premium brand when a $10-15 JX/TrackStar works indistinguishably from them!

For now, all but one of my cars are "brand cars", but the majority of my ESCs and servos are HK/Turnigy/JX stuff. Motors are - for now - more "brand" than "China".
billdelong likes this.
tvih is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:55 PM   #80
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar View Post
RC is an old guy hobby, I have been finding kids are getting younger that want to play with electric rc cars.
All I have experience with is what I've seen. And at least where I live I can run my cars up and down the street with little to no interest from young kids. One reason is I rarely even see kids in my area outside. I certainly its not this way everywhere because I want to see RC carry on.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:15 PM   #81
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apco1 View Post
All I have experience with is what I've seen. And at least where I live I can run my cars up and down the street with little to no interest from young kids. One reason is I rarely even see kids in my area outside. I certainly its not this way everywhere because I want to see RC carry on.
In the summer months, I'll setup an "Outlaw Track" at the local school yard when school isn't in session and set up a cheap Trackmate timing loop for friends to come over and race for free. Many times I've had kids come by to check out what we're doing and I've always had a spare loaner car for them to try. Can't say that I've seen any of these kids parents ever bring them to the local club to race but it's always fun to see these kids get wide eye'd and star struck with amazement that such a toy car existed with that much power.

When my son was younger and I had to give him rides to the skate park, I used to burn a couple battery packs there and would often get over a dozen kids circling around asking tons of questions also filled with excitement about the hobby until the dreaded question "how much does that cost" which I used to always recommend Traxxas... but from now on I'm only recommending ECX and RedCat
Old 01-12-2018, 07:21 PM   #82
Tech Regular

Quote:
Forgot about that one too, FlySky is another popular brand I missed, in know they've got dozens of OEM's under them, though not sure which are owned/controlled by Hextronics or what their partnership/agreements are.

I believe all of their X-Car series are HobbyWing compatible (perhaps early revisions of HobbyWing products maybe?), they were also rebranded through Brushless Hobbies, another a defunct brand that shut down a couple years ago but once was very popular about 5 years ago. I think RCJuice has since replaced their spot on the "RC Map".

Another emerging distributor is Banggood who is a direct reseller, they pretty much cover every imaginable cheap Chinese manufactured product from all markets beyond RC too. I absolutely love their JX brand servos, specifically the solid metal case brushless servos... by far the best bang for the buck... best part is you can buy their cheap $10 servos which have compatible metal gears to swap out for replacement gear sets on the cheap. I've only stripped 1 metal gear in my 1/8 Truggy after 10 months of racing so overall I am very happy with the brand.
I tell people all the time about the JX Servos. RCJuice now carries waterproof JX servos, why none of the ones on Banggood are waterproof is beyond me.
I know it's not that hard to waterproof servos, a little marine grease and some liquid tape, but it's just nice to have them available. That said I still want to buy a 4 pack of the PDI 6221MGs, just so I can have some spares lol.
billdelong likes this.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:23 PM   #83
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Horizon isn't going anywhere. They just started carrying AE. HRP has a lot of stuff that others dont even before the whole Hobbico/Traxxas fiasco. I dint see them going anywhere. I think the "new kid on the block" is gonna do really good too.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:49 PM   #84
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
How can this statement be quantified?

What can we use to measure over time to study participation numbers in racing vs bashing? How many basher grade cars are used in racing? I know that's where I started, I pretty much raced every car that HobbyKing and Integy offered, I was 50/50 basher and racer, then I slowly evolved into 90% racer now. How can these metrics be represented accordingly?
Well how about starting with average age at local track. You look to have a very solid, consistent turnout. If there is a youth presence, is it racers kids mostly or getting the true outsider?
Billy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:56 PM   #85
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

We really need to buy in the US when able to, we've lost enough jobs in the states.
mustangkillaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:10 PM   #86
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (98%+)

in other news, the old trusty Amain, Stormer and Ashford have stepped up their game.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:22 PM   #87
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
Well how about starting with average age at local track. You look to have a very solid, consistent turnout. If there is a youth presence, is it racers kids mostly or getting the true outsider?
Not really sure if my local club would be representative of all clubs, but I'd say roughly 10-20% of the turnout are minors on the 1/10 track but maybe only 5-10% minors on the 1/8 track.

Down in San Antonio I've heard a much higher ratio of minors on their oval track, but same 5-10% on their 1/8 track.

I visited New Mexico for indoor 1/10 carpet racing a couple weeks ago and saw about 10-20% in minors there.

To me that's a respectable/sustainable growth rate for new blood IMO.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:42 PM   #88
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I think one of the problems that RC distributors and LHS have is there are too many brands/models to choose from. I currently own stuff from Losi, AE, Traxxas, Tamiya, Xray, Team C and Carisma. And I've owned a couple other brands in recent years.

These companies can't possibly stock models and parts from all the major brands, let alone the smaller ones. So you're always forced to look else where. Until there's some consolidation in this space, it's going to continue to be hard for them.

Was in our LHS today. In the SCT basher category they have Arrma, Red Cat, Helion, Traxxas. I know for them it's probably about what can sell and what price. I think the only SCTs they have in the race category is the AE and TLR. But that's 6 brands of SCTs. And I think it's general knowledge that LHSs make their money on parts and accessories, not so much on the kits. But how much money and space are you going to invest in inventory for these?

I heard from our LHS owner that Parma is pretty much out of business. I was wondering why I couldn't find any water based airbrush paint. I guess when everyone is going the RTR route, you don't need to worry so much about paint.

I've bought tons of stuff from Tower over the years. I hope they can get their business in order and survive.
Bar likes this.
GerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:45 AM   #89
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The writing has been on the wall for hobbico for awhile. The latest news yesterday was that they are 100 million in debt.. I don't see any recovery from that until they sell it for pennies on the dollar to someone else. It also said they owe over 200 companies money and that futaba was one of the top 20 they owed money to. They are also under federal investigation for mismanaging employees stocks. Sounds a bit like corporate greed to me and they should have made co/ceo etc changes long ago to try and salvage the company. Be interesting to see what happens to them in the long run. I can only assume that champaign IL is going to suffer big time with the loss of all the jobs..
Dualstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:20 AM   #90
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryH View Post
I think one of the problems that RC distributors and LHS have is there are too many brands/models to choose from. I currently own stuff from Losi, AE, Traxxas, Tamiya, Xray, Team C and Carisma. And I've owned a couple other brands in recent years.

These companies can't possibly stock models and parts from all the major brands, let alone the smaller ones. So you're always forced to look else where. Until there's some consolidation in this space, it's going to continue to be hard for them.

Was in our LHS today. In the SCT basher category they have Arrma, Red Cat, Helion, Traxxas. I know for them it's probably about what can sell and what price. I think the only SCTs they have in the race category is the AE and TLR. But that's 6 brands of SCTs. And I think it's general knowledge that LHSs make their money on parts and accessories, not so much on the kits. But how much money and space are you going to invest in inventory for these?
To me what you're describing is a reasonable selection... it comes down to inventory and space... your basher grade store carries considerably more offerings than the local HobbyTown stores in my area. While the local HobbyTown stores do carry lots of brands in kit form, they only stock maybe 3 brands worth of parts.

The local race track has an onsite shop and it's up to the local racers to decide which are the most popular brands the shop will carry parts. If only 1-2 guys are showing up with Schumacher, then that's not gonna be enough interest to work out... the top 5 brands supported are Tekno, XRay, Mugen, Losi and Associated and that's barely enough space as it is for the shop to fit those parts plus consumables.

If 10+ guys start showing up with a RedCat, HoBao or what not, then the owner said he would have no problem carrying parts for another brand, but it all comes down to turnout and it's ultimately the consumers who decide what gets sold in the end, we (consumers) have a lot more power than we realize.