Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
What is the best race you ever had? > What is the best race you ever had?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By mschumi101
  • 1 Post By EbbTide
  • 1 Post By Troubles Dad

What is the best race you ever had?

Old 10-26-2017, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default What is the best race you ever had?

Every dog has his day, every racer has his race. We all remember our greatest races and qualifiers, rounds where the car practically drove itself and destroyed our personal best or maybe even the track record. I would love to hear some of yours.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

No one? Well, I guess I will be the first to bite...

My best race happened Spring 2015 (can't believe it was so long ago )

Background: The local middle school has an RC club where I started racing when I was in 6th grade, back in 2006. It's a temporary ozite carpet track set-up for racing every other Sunday throughout the school year. It's not only home to kids to race, but also their parents and other family friends. It's split into student and adult classes, primarily running touring cars. The club has season points championships for all classes, and a final "Big" race at the end of the school year to celebrate, called the "Hadley Invitational Race." The invitational is the only multi-day race all year, comprising of Friday practice, Saturday heats and Sunday mains, with trophies for all classes, and a huge raffle after racing.

Some of the students, (like yours truly), stick around and race through high school or even into college. A few have come back and raced as adults even, (the club has been around for over 30 years now). The skill sets range from beginner all the way to regional level A-B-main 'semi-pro' sponsored racers all having come through the school, so there is certainly talent around. I like to think I'm a good club racer, but never really had the budget to travel or attend bigger races...(yet).

In my time growing up through the club I finished 3rd in student touring points in my first year, and went on to be student touring car champion the next 2 years. While I was club champion, I was only ever able to win the Invitational once, in 7th grade, despite being TQ all 3 years. After 8th grade when I graduated to highschool, I needed to race in the 'adult' classes, so I expanded from the student spec tt01 to a Tamiya TA05 for the now faster stock touring(17.5t) class, the fastest class offered! This was right around the time brushless started to come about, so I had a lot to learn pretty quickly with the new chassis, speed and technology. I struggled for a bit, finding the seasoned adult racers were much better than the students! I moved on to the Associated TC5 chassis and started to see more success. I also started to learn about properly setting up the car, and by the time I was a Junior in high school I started to finally challenge our top 2 club racers in Stock touring. As a senior in high-school I could win some heat races, and TQ'd stock in the Invitational, but a main win for me remained elusive. Following another TQ and disappointing Invitational result my freshman year of college I knew my TC5's were getting quite on in age, so I decided to sell my 17.5 and VTA cars for a newer car and focus on just Stock Touring. After selling both cars I was able to buy the then, 1 year old Xray T4'13. I built it up with the fastest, then legal, Trinity D3.5 17.5 motor. I was able to return from college to race a few regular club races over breaks and the car was fast! I would TQ and win just about every club race with ease. I was finally thinking I could win my first Invitational in Stock Touring!

The Race: Before the 2015 Invitational my Trinity D3.5 had been banned, so I was forced to switch and settled on an ORCA TX motor to bolt in for the Invitational race. After settling on the proper gearing I was able to maximize the Friday practice day to focus on finding a good setup for the race. Being a 3 day race, the invitational sees much higher grip than all of the other race days due to the number of laps turned on the layout. The foam tired touring cars really groove up the track, so it is very important to find a higher-grip setup as the track changes throughout the weekend. On Saturday I had nailed it and went on TQ by a lap over the competition. On Raceday I was feeling cool and confident, thinking I should finally be able to win my first Invitational race in Stock Touring, and only my second Invitational race ever!

As the race started I was feeling the nerves, but was able to lay down an impressive first lap to give some breathing room. My main rival had found a lot of speed overnight and was able to shadow me about 1-2 seconds behind. Lapped cars quickly started to become an issue, and navigating through them and avoiding wrecks became a challenge. Luckily I had made my Xray very aggressive, yet stable, so I could put it anywhere I wanted in the corner to avoid the lapped cars. My rival caught a bad break and I thought I should be in the clear. But with the foam tires I was a little over-zealous with my turn in and traction rolled, costing me 4-5 seconds! My rival was right on my tail again, and I was having flashbacks to previous invitationals and my inability to finish well! But I knew my car was more than capable, so I regrouped and focused in. I started to lay down blisteringly quick laps, setting the fastest lap of the weekend, at 13.0sec! I was averaging 13.4 on my own and 14.0's with traffic to my rivals high 13s and 15s in traffic. I was focused, in the zone, and I kept getting faster! I managed to pull a 10 second gap and went on to better my fast lap, turning the only sub 13sec lap of the weekend, a 12.9 on the penultimate lap! I crossed the line first! Finally winning the Stock Touring Invitational! I was so relieved to finally finish a (nearly) perfect race and notch the victory to go along with my championship! It was my best single race I have driven, especially given the circumstances. Still one of my proudest wins!

I followed it up in the 2016 Invitational with another TQ and 3rd place finish after picking up tape from the carpet on a tire forcing a pit-stop. My bad luck seems to continue on at the Invitational, with only 2 wins in my 9 years racing! (I missed this year's Invitational due to driving my universities Formula SAE car for competition.) So my 2015 Stock Touring win remains my crowning Invitational moment!

I'll attach some pictures:
The Race Time-sheet, for proof

Myself, car, and trophies for TQ and the Win!

My Xray T4 and trophies from the day

On track, prior to racing. Notice Foam tires on carpet

What I was doing this year, instead of the Invitational

Hope you all enjoy! Looking forward to reading others' responses.
GrandeGixxer and Dave_S like this.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Best race I ever had was in a real car. Solo 2. Won my division that day. My last run of the day I had a passenger and ran my fastest lap of the day by 2 seconds. (and my car doesn't like weight)

I loved it. I know you are talking RC though.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have had a few races worth remembering. One was in 05-06 timeframe when I was a poor racer in high school and my LHS was still open and not run by morons. There was a big race coming up and the man Barry Baker himself showed up and raced some buggy with us the weekend before the big event. By virtue of it being my local track and offroad as well, I somehow out-qualified Barry Baker, but in those two quals Barry had found the speed and while I drove like hell Barry harassed the back bumper of my buggy for the whole main event, unable to close the last few feet of space to contest for a corner and make a pass, but I was also unable to drive away. Then with time expiring the legend tapped a board and gave me a few seconds to coast to a second place (the TQ just drove off, he was a real hotshot) and he told me I had run a great race. Thanks, Barry.

Another was a 1/12 13.5 race day around Christmas 2014 where I somehow only had one good set of tires and no replacements were available in the store… but the car was running HARD on that one set. Also, I was at a disadvantage as Dave Burger and Tony Neisinger were there in 13.5 as well. Cool. Round 1 of quals I go out and while I’m wheeling as hard as I can it seems like every time I find a few tenths of a second laying on the track so did Burger! He beat me by 1 second. For round 2 I sandbagged and didn’t run my best tire set so I was a lap down, and Neisinger put in a great run but my round 1 time held for second qualifier. Now my silly ass is sandwiched between two champions with decades of experience, hoping I still had 53 or so laps worth of meat left on my tires.

During the main, the car was... difficult. Some of my tuning changes to calm the car on the rising grip weren't quite enough, and I steadily lost ground to the leader but after 5 minutes of messing with my radio dual rate (always buy a radio that you can adjust this on the fly, it's worth it) I went into straight up drive-it-like-you-stole-it mode and started making up ground on Dave, but it wasn't enough. If I'd had another minute, I may have been able to make a real pass attempt, but time ran out. Still a great run.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

My best race was actually one that I lost lol. I'll keep it short though:

It was in the 2wd short course class when NorCal Hobbies was in Union City, and that night we had a somewhat low turnout for the class which was good for me because that meant less trucks to hit on track lol. That was the first race where I started actually putting down competitive lap times and at one point I was just behind the leader and took the lead for a bit. But the race director was commentating over the PA system and as soon as I heard him say my name in excitement because I, a rookie, had passed the leader in an open class, I totally wiped out and the moment was gone. But that race showed me that I can hang with the good guys, so long as I keep my focus. It really helped keep me in the hobby because up until that point I had really been struggling with my setups.
mschumi101 likes this.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:24 PM

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

The best race is the race I didn't race.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

I wish I could remember

I guess its true what Gen. Patton said , All Glory Is Fleeting
Old 12-11-2017, 07:09 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lone Drifter View Post
I wish I could remember

I guess its true what Gen. Patton said , All Glory Is Fleeting
This is so true.. Best race..won the JG Dirt Oval race in stock truck by 5 laps, won the ROAR dirt oval nationals in stock direct drive drive sprint car.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 180 (100%+)

I have 2 of them back in March of 2004 a very good friend had passed away and I really hated the thought about going back to the city where it had happened and was talked into going for our series final round and chill on the hill race in October of 04, I ran 2 classes and was TQ for 3 out of the 4 A mains and won ALL 4 A mains that weekend

The second race was a few years back racing my son in another series race with our pro2 trucks, as I struggled with lap traffic, and my son was right behind me, and finally let him around and followed him as he cut right thru the traffic and with less than a minute to go, we started to race, ducking in and passing outside back and forth, final corner we came out and did not let up, I got him by .02 seconds at the line, his transponder came loose and was on the battery as it was a photo finish, that's been by far the best racing I have had, and ever since he has been one of the fast drivers to watch
GrandeGixxer likes this.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The storm clouds were rolling in as the race was about to start. The power lines in the distance started to hum as the race started.... I had been trading the lead for 1/2 the race as a few sprinkle started to fall. I started to feel like the priest in Caddy Shack... the wind picked up and lightning struck in the distance as the final minute was being counted down. The leader and I were all over each other as we rounded the last double I landed on top of him.... then a crash of lightning hit near by...thatís all I remember
Old 12-11-2017, 10:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

After racing for 25 years when I finally won a race.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:40 PM
Tech Addict

Havnt raced it yet. But when I do I will post it here
Old 12-18-2017, 10:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

OK it may sound stupid to some of you young guys but my best race in the next one. I really enjoy the people and the atmosphere at a race. You see the fast guys working hard to stay fast and the young kid just starting to be part of it all and the older guys like me just glad to be part of the day of RC racing
Old 12-19-2017, 12:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Probably the weekend just gone.

Bought my first offroad car last Monday, Yokomo Yz-4sf.
Having never raced offroad before figured I'd start with an event 🤣

Started getting a hang of it during qualifying. Had the pace in the 2nd qualifier but had 1 tumble the whole run which cost me 13 seconds.
3rd and final run I had a really clean run and had the pace of the guys in the A finals but stuffed the first 2 so qualified 3rd in the B's.

Only had one final.
Went out there and I was holding around 6 second lead and accidentally jumped off the back straight 😂😂😂😂
Ended up coming 2nd by .8

Was funny, and still had a great weekend.