Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Non-Competition Driving; Gyros For All My Cars... >

Non-Competition Driving; Gyros For All My Cars...

Like Tree14Likes

Non-Competition Driving; Gyros For All My Cars...

Old 11-18-2017, 01:00 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
Another great gyro success. I installed one of my left-over heli rudder gyros in my Tamiya Jimny MF-01X. One problem with this little guy is the servo-saver has a long arm and not easily substituted with a Kimborough. Like many other Tamiya servo-savers, it has a lot of play in the middle and it sticks to one side or the other after the car hits a bump. So trimming for straight-line running is difficult.

Gyro to the rescue. Now the servo saver is a non-issue. The gyro keeps it straight. Works great over rough terrain also! Stays in a straight line.

Who really thinks that when an RC car fly off its intended course from terrain irregularities that is more enjoyable or preferable to the car responding to the g-forces (before you can even see the car move) and correcting itself back to the line you are driving?
So you fix a lot of play in a servo saver that is giving a bad driving car by mounting a gyro
Old 11-18-2017, 05:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I prefer the risk. Forces me to become better driver. I love that after 6 weeks of practice on a low grip, unprepared, cold surfaces with no tire sauce I’ve gotten quicker by over 3 seconds a lap. If I go wrong it’s low curb on one side. Bushes and mulch/leaves on the other.
Dave_S likes this.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

I've been driving bandit vxl I think on 3s with gyro turned off. It's runs well enough.

That said I don't prefer risk. I accidentally disintegrated a new sc10.2 I just finished repairing for someone. With gyro that crash wouldn't have happened, lol. The sc10 was stupid fast though, and definitely not built for bashing.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
So you fix a lot of play in a servo saver that is giving a bad driving car by mounting a gyro
Yes, it works. Doesn't matter if the servo saver goes off center or the servo, for that matter, does not center. The gyro gives whatever input needed to keep the car going in the intended direction.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:41 AM
Tech Regular

Look at this video. I think every one at some time has driven a car like that. A lot of time went into the scale body but, off the display shelf, it pretty much spins out at every turn. A real nightmare to drive. You'd want to just keep it on the display shelf.
However, I suspect a gyro on that car might make it fun to drive.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Looks like it’s a Baja or one of the clones under the body. The Baja is very tail heavy. My Baja Flux drove similar till added front sway bar.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:46 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
Yes, it works. Doesn't matter if the servo saver goes off center or the servo, for that matter, does not center. The gyro gives whatever input needed to keep the car going in the intended direction.
Again, it is a bad way to solve your issue. Getting rid of the play will give a better car, even with a gyro.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I put a Sildeology Gyro in my sc10 2wd short course car. It makes the car so much enjoyable to drive. The gyro is not a fix all thing, but it helps with sliding out when accelerating and braking. At 35%, the car can still whip around, but it is a lot more controllable and enjoyable to drive.

For anybody looking to make your 2wd rear motor car more driveable, I would get it in an instant, but I would set up the car as best as I could before I added the gyro.

Glenn

P.S. I was going to sell my sc10 and get a sc6.1 or tlr 22sct 4.0 (when it came out), but I think I will keep my sc10. I use it for driving around my neighborhood and playing with my daughters. In order to make a short course driveable on asphalt, a lot of options have to be purchased. This $25.00 gyro has saved me a lot of time and money.

Last edited by glennmathias; 05-23-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:32 PM
Tech Master

Driving skills are acquired not made easy by a new device. Ill never recommend a gyro to solve a lack of driving skills.