Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
What shaft-driven race-worthy-ish car to buy for a 7 y.o. who keeps banging boards? >

What shaft-driven race-worthy-ish car to buy for a 7 y.o. who keeps banging boards?

Like Tree7Likes

What shaft-driven race-worthy-ish car to buy for a 7 y.o. who keeps banging boards?

Old 10-16-2017, 05:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
There is a misconception that gear diffs last longer than a well built steel ball diff(ceramic balls/ofna lube). Ball diffs will slip a little on impacts while gear diffs will just lose more teeth. I've had tc4 ball diffs last over ten years with all the board beating you can imagine, and the diff never broke: it might get loose a bit, but that's it.... The gear diffs leak incessantly, and get crunchy quick, on top of being very heavy....
All the tc4 really needs is steel outdrives and a wider front bumper to soak up all those board hits, until the driver gets better.... Cheers...
I agree. I got off to bad start with ball diffs. Mostly because wasnít expecting them first time I opened them on my TC4. Steel outdrives also solved my early issues.
And Iíd pick the TC4 over the tt01 any day. Had one, just didnít get the appeal of it.
Iíd still lean towards the Apex. Just based on my experience with it over years.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
I agree. I got off to bad start with ball diffs. Mostly because wasnít expecting them first time I opened them on my TC4. Steel outdrives also solved my early issues.
And Iíd pick the TC4 over the tt01 any day. Had one, just didnít get the appeal of it.
Iíd still lean towards the Apex. Just based on my experience with it over years.
Apex out of the box might be less of a pain, but I am not sure what suspension tuning is available....
Old 10-16-2017, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Apex out of the box might be less of a pain, but I am not sure what suspension tuning is available....
Itís got some. Not the fine tuning adjustments of a true race car. But for a 7 year old, focusing on just driving is more important. I did my first summer of racing. 14 race days. Other then a minor shock adjustment, and gearing changes. I never adjusted anything on my USGT car. Still, was able to cut lap times each week.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:05 PM
Tech Champion

I know it can be costly to give a seven year old a top tourer to thrash around, but the better car will be way better for an inexperienced driver than a pro driver... He might get very frustrated with the Apex and quit altogether...
Old 10-17-2017, 05:25 AM
Tech Elite

I know it can be costly to give a seven year old a top tourer to thrash around, but the better car will be way better for an inexperienced driver than a pro driver... He might get very frustrated with the Apex and quit altogether...
I think we are getting off track of the original uestion. Not sure what pro drivers have to do with a car for a 7 year old.
WagwanBumba likes this.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:51 AM
Tech Master

I'm going to throw the Semi-Truck version of the TT01e into the fray. The car is stable, can be thrown into a slide with a scandinavian flick, requires smooth driving, and is fast enough to be fun on carpet.

If he'll go for the trucks... :-)
Old 10-17-2017, 07:17 AM
Tech Master

There is an option for the droop. I think that the two parts (front and rear) are as expensive as the kit.

So, I help Dominic V. (private reference) to setup his TT02. I think this car is perfect for your son. I would probably recommend something else if he was 2 years older but there it is perfect.

My only point is that the gear diff are not sealed.... So it means that you will have to open it sometimes to add grease... :-( I suggest you go for the YeahRacing/3Racing diffs, which are sealed.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
I think we are getting off track of the original uestion. Not sure what pro drivers have to do with a car for a 7 year old.
I agree with him. But I've seen the boy drive. He's enjoying driving and he still has a progression margin. So he won't be limited by the chassis before some months/years
Old 10-17-2017, 08:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Airwave View Post
There is an option for the droop. I think that the two parts (front and rear) are as expensive as the kit.
My bad ... I thought it was standard.
It is an option.
Need -
2X 54638
1X 54634

Its an upgrade path I suppose but not super needed as you can go the long way around to set droop by using internal limiters on the shocks and adjust using the ball end
Old 10-17-2017, 12:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Cheers guys, all very good inputs, I appreciate you being considerate and taking the time to share your family men expertise without derailing the topic too much

I think it's boiling down to two cars now, the Apex, and the TT02. The Apex, i don't know it, I will have a peek so I educate myself. TT02 I know is already gonna be a crowd favorite, and I can build it with my son as Tamiya stuff usually accessible to youngsters, so I'm leaning towards the shizuoka tourer atm.

Thanks @Airwave , good surprise that you chipped in and I trust your judgement If you have DV's setup written down somewhere, i'd love to have a peek...

TC4 is a no-no due to ball diff (spool is ok though!), plus I'm thinking that the platform won't be supported for much longer, and lastly i have fond memories of tweaked TC3 chassis and smashed front arms (but the car was a friggin' bullet when it was working). Oh, and TC3 ball diffs were some of the most maintenance-intensive ones I have ever seen (Xray's being on the other end of the spectrum). And I've owned and raced 3 TC3's, still...

Christmas is coming soon...

Cheers guys

Paul

PS (a provocative one): Bertrand87, I've actually blacklisted you a long time ago so I don't see your posts, but unfortunately I can see your comments as someone has quoted you... and I can still happily confirm I was right to blacklist you as you obviously have no clue what you're talking about with your ball diff vs gear diff comments above. Take it from someone who's raced touring cars for 19 years now, under any form you can think about (although I have to admit the past 3-4 years I've seriously let it go). No need to reply, I won't see it
No9 and WagwanBumba like this.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

I expect the apex will have the same problems I have with my TC4. I've gone through several drive pins, and I should probally be replacing outdrive hexes. Also the carbon driveshafts failed on the front of my TC4.

It's a solid chassis. I wouldn't give it to someone who's gonna abuse it. It uses all stiff engineernig plastics that tend to crack instead of bend.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Here’s a quick side by side with the Apex and TC4. I did it when Associated first announced they were offering the Apex as a chassis only.

https://youtu.be/R7tPCM8Gcd8
Old 10-17-2017, 02:20 PM
Tech Champion

Good luck Lonestar with your racing and family stuff..... I will still race my tc4's long after you quit the hobby, and my ball diffs will still have survived: it's not who designed the diffs that count, but who built it.... My diffs all survived, but not yours.... So good luck transferring your know how to your family....
Old 10-17-2017, 07:09 PM
Tech Elite

Some yonks ago when I raced on carpet we had a son (7 y.o) and dad couple who raced the TT01 very successfully in stock, no less (brushed 27 turn).

I never took to liking the car very much, but they dedicated the time and tuned it very well. I seem to remember they had to change chassis every now and then because of something to do with the way the motor mount is trapped. Apparently things wear and you can't get the gear mesh right anymore when they do. Chassis tweak under impact also meant the driveshaft would pop out every now and then.

That said, I think you are spoilt for choice. The kit TB-XX versions (no idea which one is the current one) are cheap as chips and I like their gear diffs better than the clunky TT version.

If you want, have a look at the Yokomo drift cars. Some of these come with a gear diff, in my opinion exceptionally good. The platform is based on the old SD-SSG (or CGM if you prefer), a refined evolution of a joint project with Associated (who developed the TC4). Not sure what they cost in Europe, or if you can get them, they are a bit more exxy than the TT or TB cars but more refined. Oh, and don't be put off by the "drift" dedication. They are just the old tourer with a spool. I would actually look at using the Yokomo gear diffs even if I went for a Tamiya car. Tamiya never made a proper diff for their shaft cars (the TB gear diff is nice, but not as good as the Yok variant).

Another thing you need to consider (but I imagine this is going to be a problem for any shaft driven platform) is the gear ratio you're shooting from. Don't know about the modern TT cars, but on the old one this was a problem in some classes. The Tamiya AV pitch gears are also an annoyance. The Yokomo and TB cars offer some freedom here.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default My vote for the TA07 Pro.

I'd say just go for the TA07 Pro. Good equipment can definitely improve driving skills by oh, lets say exponentially.

Reverse psychology says, if the car is a little bit more expensive, it'll second guess the driver to drive more cautious then to go for the inside corner and make a rookie crash.

If that is on the high end of the cost factor then look for a used TA07 Pro.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service