Search

Speed RC moorseville

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 06:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Speed RC moorseville

Can anyone tell me what the most popular classes are right now? And what tires are the hot ticket?

New to the area and looking to get my stuff out of storage.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

Most popular class as of now is def 2wd buggy. Stadium, 4wd buggy, and Sct are also good. Tires at the moment seem to be clay chain links, dirt webs, and electrons at half tread.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Excellent information.

Do you know what classes of 2wd buggy and SCT are bigger, stock or mod?

Hoping to make a trip in the next few weeks to check it out.

Again the help is very much appreciated!
Old 12-21-2015, 07:55 PM
Tech Master

Right now they are running mod in 2wd buggy and sct. There is a sportsman and pro class for 2wd buggy. They average out to be close to the same amount in both classes. Glad I could help. Hope you get to make it out soon
Old 01-19-2016, 05:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

As a pretty new guy looking to get into the sport, would the 2WD buggy sportsman be an ok start or would I get waxed?
Old 01-20-2016, 05:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hokie6260
As a pretty new guy looking to get into the sport, would the 2WD buggy sportsman be an ok start or would I get waxed?
Just starting out in RC might be a bit of a handful with a 2wd mod buggy. They say 2wd buggy is the F1 of off-road. I'd look for a Short Course Truck as those are a little more forgiving.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

They have a "novice" class that's basically run what ya brung

You could always start there and once you get comfortable you could then move up to sportsman and then onto mod buggy.

Don't go the 2sct way.

Take the time and learn with the 2wd buggy. It will benefit you better in the long run

Just go into it with the mind set of having fun. Don't put too much pressure/expectation on yourself in the beginning.
That I think is the biggest turn off for people. They spend xxx amount of money and think they should/will be fast/win right out of the gate. Then they get discouraged and quit.

Ask questions and take in the knowledge and improve each time out.

Set small goals. If you do only 5 laps so be it. Next time out shoot for 6.

The guys that race at Speed are all very helpful and will go out of their way to help get you going and make this an enjoyable experience.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by imprsme
They have a "novice" class that's basically run what ya brung

You could always start there and once you get comfortable you could then move up to sportsman and then onto mod buggy.

Don't go the 2sct way.

Take the time and learn with the 2wd buggy. It will benefit you better in the long run

Just go into it with the mind set of having fun. Don't put too much pressure/expectation on yourself in the beginning.
That I think is the biggest turn off for people. They spend xxx amount of money and think they should/will be fast/win right out of the gate. Then they get discouraged and quit.

Ask questions and take in the knowledge and improve each time out.

Set small goals. If you do only 5 laps so be it. Next time out shoot for 6.

The guys that race at Speed are all very helpful and will go out of their way to help get you going and make this an enjoyable experience.
Great advice, thank you. I just ordered an Associated 10B5. I'm pretty excited about getting in and getting the build done. Should I spend time and energy more on getting familiar with racing and driving it before I even worry myself with tire setup? I will definitely give my hand at the novice class.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Having the proper tires and prep will make the car drive so much easier and narrow the learning curve of driving.

I haven't been able to race in a few months. So I can't tell you for sure what tire is the "best" right now

But I have heard that a lot of guys are using gold dirt webs or either clay chain links. With them ground down to various pin heights.

I would suggest just stopping by the track and see what's the most popular and just purchase them there.

Some one at the track will be more than willing to help
Or even grind them down for you.

As for tire "sauce" again I've heard the the FDJ dew/pineapple mixed 50/50 is popular. The track sells that also.

I know some guys are using liquid wrench with good results.
Again I would suggest just asking around to see what most are using.

If you are not familiar with the other "local" forums check out.

www.carolinasrcracers.com

There is a lot more activity on there from the locals.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hokie6260
Great advice, thank you. I just ordered an Associated 10B5. I'm pretty excited about getting in and getting the build done. Should I spend time and energy more on getting familiar with racing and driving it before I even worry myself with tire setup? I will definitely give my hand at the novice class.
At the moment many tire combinations are working. Most are running very low tread depth to slicks in super soft, soft, and clay. Seems the lower tread the better lately since the new layout. And like Anthony said, the fdj dew, pineapple, or a 50/50 mix works well.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Relocating to Charlotte and after a long break due to a few back surgeries I'm getting back into it. I have a B5M that I love, built it while off my feet from surgeries. I built it for the local carpet track and stock class. I'm looking forward to practicing and tuning it for clay.

It makes the hobby so much more welcoming when locals at the track are nice and always willing to help. Are they not allowed to use slicks there or just grinding down the dirt webs because that's more of the preference at the track?