Sad observance today.

Old 01-06-2020, 09:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Sad observance today.

Was driving Hwy52 South through King, NC and saw dump trucks backed into where "The Rug" was. They were filling the big outdoor oval. I never raced on The Rug or the big oval but that facility had a lot to do with me getting into RC years ago. I don't remember how old I was but I was alone so I was at least 16(1988 or later). There was a large off road track opposite the parking lot from the building and some big event was happening. One of the drivers apparently didn't come prepared and asked me to pit for him. Maybe this is normal at events like this. Felt pretty cool being at least a small part of the race. Not sure how much longer that track was there but I never saw any more events like this one. This was before the internet was available to all of us if it existed at all. Not too much later I had my RC10 and our first attempt at a track.

Even if they didn't destroy the concrete, I doubt it will ever be uncovered again. But its still oddly comforting to know the track is still there even if buried.

I ran a little on the offroad track at the King RC hobby shop which is also gone. Now, it seem the closest track to me is either in North Wilkesboro or maybe Booneville but its currently unknown how available that one may be. I may have to make the drive there and see what I can find.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:26 AM
Regional Moderator

Sorry to hear that man. There used to be a popular 8th scale buggy track in my area a few years ago that closed. And more recently Glenns hobby corner up in Goldsboro closed. They had an in door oval and outdoor paved track. Its sad but that seems to be the fate of all things racing. Everything is about bashing now. The internet killed hobby stores too. I liked being able to grab something in an hour if I needed it right then as opposed to waiting a couple days.