Old 05-07-2019, 10:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Soda City RC Columbia SC

Anthony Tziotis likes this.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What are your track hours? And do you have antrent a ride cars ? I'll be in Columbia for my sons graduation at Fort Jackson the second week of of February
Old 08-22-2020, 07:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've been racing USVTA at Soda City (SCRC) a few times, now. I plan on getting down there atleast once a month, for the rest of my life

I had been away from R/C racing for 20 years. I showed up here with a 20yr old 4WD touring car (RS4). The folks there helped me (with some donated parts and many answered 'silly' questions) to bang it into rough shape enough to race Novice Class (Pretty much, anything goes -- perfect for a beginner) that day. Miraculously, the car stayed together, despite my bouncing off the walls (pretty hard sometimes) all day.

I went back a month later, after applying what I learned that first day, and was competitive enough to race with 'the big boys' (I came in last & had a blast). I continued to receive subtle & helpful suggestions which improved my lap times all day.

The folks at SCRC are suuuper helpful to the newcomer. It is a club that is eager for and supportive of new members.

I encourage anyone looking to race On-Road to bring what you have to SCRC and get some practice in.You will be welcomed & encouraged!

There is a hobby store attached to SCRC, as well as a food vendor.

The track is black racing carpet (the good stuff).

As far as I can tell, on Sunday, they race USVTA, USGT, 12th scale, some mod class (13.5?) , and whatever else shows up enough to put a heat together (they had Euro Truck my first time). As mentioned above-- Novice class seems to be whatever you have, as far as I can tell- as long as it has foam or street tires on it and a full body.

they race 3 heats and a main. If I remember correctly - Novice is $15 and the other classes are $25 -- of course, they have discounts for multiple entries

They race every weekend -- Saturday is on-road oval & Sunday is on-road touring (twisty track). This may change for some weekends (like this weekend is oval both days & next weened is Touring car both days)

I hope this helps someone like me, who is on the fence about dipping a toe into On-Road R/C racing, to take a leap-of-faith, put a car on a track, and climb the driver stand stairs. It is alot of fun, with good people.

PS -- for the latest updates -- they are on Facebook: SCRC Facebook Page Their LiveRc page
Old 08-22-2020, 12:02 PM
Tech Rookie

I'm about to start racing again, also after about 20 years, but I've never raced on road (off-road carpet racer). I'm more interested in the touring than oval... what kits would be a good jumping off point for myself and my son without busting the bank?
Old 08-31-2020, 10:14 AM
Tech Rookie

I'm looking at getting an on road kit in the very near future. Mostly interested in Spec racing. I'm new to the race scene in general but i would love some advice on what is usually ran at Soda City. What classes, cars etc. id like to get into touring and Im only about an hour away. everything i have at this point in 1/8 buggies so all of the indoor onroad stuff is foreign to me but looks super fun. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Markus23; 08-31-2020 at 10:15 AM. Reason: forgot detail
Old 10-03-2020, 08:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey....best bet is probably a couple year old Xray kit. Parts are plentiful and the cars are tough.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

On a typical onroad day (touring based classes) in order of lap time:
VTA
USGT
21.5 TC
CanAm TC
17.5 TC