Like Tree178Likes

Kannapolis Raceway Park

Old 12-11-2017, 07:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i have off on thursday, I can swing out and help for a while.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

That would be great Bill. Three guys make the rail installation go twice as fast. Two on the outside rails an one on the inside rails. We will probably start between 9:30 and 10.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:58 PM
Tech Master

Didn't go to the track today but did finish up the stair stringers so we can put them up tomorrow while we finish the bracing. Tomorrow will be a mixed bag since both of us have mid day requirements that will pull us away for a couple hours.

Stay tuned for new pictures tomorrow. There should be new things to see.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

YES!!! Finally an on road track close to home!
Old 12-13-2017, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

Today it was cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey but we were out there flogging, mostly to stay warm, but flogging none the less. Would have liked to have gotten more done but at least the stairs are up and all the additional cross bracing is in place.

Tomorrow after the frost lifts we will be back at it completing the railings and doing some more of the track barriers.

Here are today's pictures. Have to do a little editing first. Next post, sorry.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:40 PM
Tech Master

Here we go.
Attached Thumbnails Kannapolis Raceway Park-20171213_153241.jpg   Kannapolis Raceway Park-20171213_153259.jpg   Kannapolis Raceway Park-20171213_153312.jpg  
Old 12-14-2017, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

I now declare this bridge open. The weather today was beautiful. Shirt sleeves all the way. Bill Cox came by and helped out and got in touch with a couple of other local racers that I had lost track of and they came by as well. Bill brought another car and ran it around for a little while. The surface was in really bad shape. We had some 20MPH plus winds yesterday and I can now announce that there is nothing left on the trees around the track. The surface was nearly ankle deep in Poplar seeds as well as some other flora that looked like tiny "BB's". Bill did a masterful job of shoveling debris out of the way with the nose of the car. Damien shot some video that is or will be posted on social media. Anyway, seeing a car run on the track while being driven from the top of Fort Apache kind of soured the work mood. We did finish the stand though so here are today's pictures.

I am taking tomorrow off to remove the leaves from my own yard but will be back at it over the weekend. Especially if the weather is anything like it was today.

Stay tuned.
Attached Thumbnails Kannapolis Raceway Park-20171214_152953.jpg   Kannapolis Raceway Park-20171214_152956.jpg   Kannapolis Raceway Park-20171214_153029.jpg   Kannapolis Raceway Park-20171214_153132.jpg  
Tangled2sh*t and NutDriver like this.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:40 PM
Tech Master

As promised, I stayed away from the track today and yes my front yard at least is now devoid of the annual output of several Oaks, Maples and Pecan trees. They have been ceremoniously reduced to an amount of ash that will fit in a 5 gallon bucket.

I am hoping for marginally warmer weather tomorrow so I can get back to the site and complete something else. Minimal or otherwise.

On another note things are looking up on the track advertising front. The local business community is responding nicely to our little project. We have 4 onboard and several more ready to pull the trigger as soon as we are ready to open. It is nice to have people willing to pony up for sign space. Their involvement will allow us to keep the facility fresh and neat plus help us to expand into other RC areas. After all, the park is 16 acres with a pond in addition to the pool, carpet golf course and arcade. So boats and some of the smaller Park flyers and even off-road could be in the future.

Stay tuned.
Tangled2sh*t and NutDriver like this.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:46 PM
Tech Master

Almost forgot. The grapevine is running rife with scuttlebutt about how some things will be operated and or handled. All I can say is if you didn't read it right here in a post by little old me then don't put too much stock in it. If you don't want to post "Q's" in the open then feel free to shoot me a PM. I promise I won't stroke your ego.

Again, stay tuned.
NutDriver likes this.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Although it did touch 50 late this afternoon it wasn't warm enough to get anything substantial completed. I was able to reduce another acre of leaves to ash so all wasn't lost. Maybe tomorrow.

As always, stay tuned.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:56 PM
Tech Master

Made it over to the track today with the intent of doing a bit of housekeeping, you know picking up the wood scraps and dealing with the sawdust and what turned out to be approximately 7 five gallon buckets of Poplar seeds and other flora that last weeks winds brought us. While working out with the old leaf blower some company showed up and a few minutes later even more dropped in. Well, they had cars with them so we started with a VTA car that hadn't seen track time since Nashville. Where I had already cleaned the car was actually pretty good so with the help of the visitors we moved all the unsecured boards aside and got the rest of the surface a quick hummer so the whole surface could be utilized.

As chilly as it was the VTA car hooked up on a bald set of HPI's. You could actually hustle the car with some comfort and confidence. You could push it hard enough to shake the rear loose but if you throttled up fast enough you could catch it and run a pretty dandy 4 wheel on power drift. The two F-1's with their 21.5 motors were able to get around fairly briskly as well. One was loose and the other pushed so I would call it even. Neither Ethan nor Kyle knew what they had on for tires and were just looking for a feel to start from so all in all I think everything will be pretty manageable in the sunshine.

By the time we all left it was starting to cloud up so right now getting more done tomorrow is a crap shoot. We will see what happens.

Stay tuned.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mleemor60
Made it over to the track today with the intent of doing a bit of housekeeping, you know picking up the wood scraps and dealing with the sawdust and what turned out to be approximately 7 five gallon buckets of Poplar seeds and other flora that last weeks winds brought us. While working out with the old leaf blower some company showed up and a few minutes later even more dropped in. Well, they had cars with them so we started with a VTA car that hadn't seen track time since Nashville. Where I had already cleaned the car was actually pretty good so with the help of the visitors we moved all the unsecured boards aside and got the rest of the surface a quick hummer so the whole surface could be utilized.

As chilly as it was the VTA car hooked up on a bald set of HPI's. You could actually hustle the car with some comfort and confidence. You could push it hard enough to shake the rear loose but if you throttled up fast enough you could catch it and run a pretty dandy 4 wheel on power drift. The two F-1's with their 21.5 motors were able to get around fairly briskly as well. One was loose and the other pushed so I would call it even. Neither Ethan nor Kyle knew what they had on for tires and were just looking for a feel to start from so all in all I think everything will be pretty manageable in the sunshine.

By the time we all left it was starting to cloud up so right now getting more done tomorrow is a crap shoot. We will see what happens.

Stay tuned.
Thanks for letting us use the track today
NutDriver and knuckles30 like this.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:30 PM
Tech Master

Glad to have you. Hope you gained some information.

Vic and I will be back out there tomorrow weather permitting trying to get more done.
NutDriver and knuckles30 like this.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

Today we completed the outside barriers. Tomorrow we will continue on the inside. It is really coming together. Spent a little time on the big oval with the 1/16 Traxxas Kyle Bush truck that is dressed up like a dirt late model. There is almost too much traction for these but it was a little warm today.

Here is today's picture. There were two but one doesn't seem to want to load.
Attached Thumbnails Kannapolis Raceway Park-20171218_155605.jpg  
Old 12-19-2017, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

Could not have asked for a better day today. Finished all the 6" inside barriers, completed the infield barrier for the oval(s) and made the switchable gates that will change the oval from the long course to the short course. Also got a couple more sections of the smaller 2" round stock barriers.

Got to put another vehicle on the track today as well. A virgin 1/16 Slash on the kit tires. It was really fun to watch. There might be a class for these in our future. They could even be a beginner class. Cheap, plentiful and sturdy not to mention they would be easily upgraded to the higher performance(read racier) Late model bodied vehicle on the drift tires. Maybe a sprint car body? It looked like it was flying while it cornered with the inside front wheel riding high and waving to the crowd.

Weather looks iffy for tomorrow but we will see what happens. Here is today's pic. CRAP! This one won't load either. Something about a missing security token with a link to the administrator? Tried that and it won't send due to something to do with the post itself? Any suggestions? Feel free to wade in.

Stay tuned

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 2.14 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.