Like Tree164Likes

Kannapolis Raceway Park

Old 10-15-2018, 08:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

10-4 on that. I will still see if I can get you some direct contact with the guys that regularly run the class. I know that everything being run has been on the soft side but that is all I can offer. Can you PM your email address if it is different from the one in your profile?
Old 10-15-2018, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

What a day to be outdoors. Chamber of Commerce weather all the way. I think the high was just 70* so it was good for your tan without any of the summertime heat stroke tendencies. We had a few less racers this time. Not everybody in the area made out as well as others with the blow through of hurricane Michael's remnants on Thursday. There were trees down all along both approaches to the track but the track just had more than the normal accumulations of leaves.

Despite the lite turn out we ran the normal classes. We ran VTA on the oval again this week and it is amazing how close in lap count and lap time that they are with the late models. The VTA heats went to Andy M, Paul R and myself in order for both and the main went the same way. The lap count for first thru third was 69 for each of us with a time difference to second of 1.455 seconds and only another .061 back to third with no carnage. The late model main went to Rodney C with Andy M in second an myself in third. Rodney took both heats as well with Andy and I trading second and third in each of the heats. The main lap count for the late models was the same 69 laps. The VTA main ran in 8:05.070 with a best lap by Andy of 6.287. In the late models the race ran in 8:01.955 with the best lap by Rodney of 6.521. Pretty close for two very diverse classes.

USGT/CHR Went to Rodney C with Paul R a mere .143 back in a race that was pretty much that close from horn to horn. I don't remember anybody needing to be marshaled through the entire race. Kyle R finished third in the main. The heats went to Rodney C with Kyle R second and RC Pete third while the second heat went to Rodney with Paul second and Pete third.

As mentioned earlier it was a great day for racing. I hope that those that didn't make it aren't facing any hardships that the storm may have caused.

See everybody on the 27th.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:01 AM
Tech Adept

It would have been a great day to be racing. I thought about you guys. I'll get out there again I promise. My weekends have been occupied for the last while, but when the schedule allows I'll be there.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

We are missing you. As mentioned before, when you aren't there somebody else has to win the 50/50 drawing.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:53 PM
Tech Master

Headed back South in the morning. See everybody on Saturday. If anybody has spare time on Friday, check with Vic to see if he needs any help.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:01 PM
Tech Master

Just got back in and the weather pretty much sucks but is supposed to be OK in the morning. As of now we will be going for it but watch social media in the morning to see if we are still good to go. Hope for sunshine to dry things out.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:52 AM
Tech Master

The sunshine didn't materialize so there was no way to dry it out. Sorry guy's. Stay tuned.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:47 AM
Tech Master

November 10th is the final scheduled event for the season. Despite an iffy week of weather the forecast shows cool and dry for Saturday. Since it is the last race scheduled please spread the word so we can have a great turn out.

There will be some things discussed among the rank and file about possible changes for next season. We are up in the air about the racing surface. It has proved to be a bit less durable than advertised although the lap times have dropped approx. three seconds on the road course and have held pretty stable on the oval. It is less about traction than it is about appearance. Though rated for 5 years a lot of it has worn or should I say washed off throughout the season. I am trying to get in contact with the manufacturer of the sealer to see if they would like to participate in restoring it or short of that we will be looking at a latex rubber based solution which would hopefully change things for the better.

Although I don't personally drink the social media Kool-Aid for obvious reasons I hear that there have been requests for a Porta Potty. We do have a permanent restroom facility available to us. Granted, it is quite a hike down to the park concession area from the track. I don't like the trek down the hill and then especially back up but having it has allowed us to keep entry fees down to what they are. The majority of the Pot rental companies seem to think that their extruded plastic huts are worth their noxious odor in gold so we can discuss having one placed for us if the group wants to collectively pay for it.

We have done pretty well with our class structure but there is a lot of room for growth. There are a lot of cars sitting idle that would add to the program if we can get them out.. F-1 perhaps and my personal favorite the LMP1 cars. We have room to expand on the oval program as well. We have done extremely well with our late models and the addition of a VTA oval program has produced very good results. Keeping in mind that what we select for classes is based primarily on simple yet existing well structured rules. From our beginning I have wanted to make sure that I could get a chance to race instead of spending all my time running a tech program. We have spent this season on more or less an honor system while we built the program. Were there some infractions? Probably so but since no one outwardly complained we let sleeping dogs lay. For the new season we will have the scale out and operating along with insuring that the proper motor and ESC are in place and functioning in line with the USVTA rules package. We have relaxed the tire prep issue a bit which may or may not contributed to the surface degradation. We will continue along these lines for 2019 but will stick with the "no wet tires on the track". Snot them up all you want as long as they hit the surface dry. Anybody leaving a slime trail will face the consequences.

I'm sure that there will be more items to talk about so if you have an axe to grind or a dog in the fight you should be there instead of hammering out your complaints(legitimate or otherwise) from the security of your social media platform of choice.

That is my rant now show up on Saturday and let us hear yours.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:31 AM
Tech Adept

I actually had the schedule off and showed up last week. LOL! Oops. Unfortunately I'm helping with a move all day Saturday so I won't be able to make it. I'll be there in spirit though and back next season for sure.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:17 PM
Tech Master

Again? OK somebody else will have to win the 50/50. You will be missed. Pay attention though there may be a non scheduled drop in day or two.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:33 AM
Tech Master

Looks like it will be a little nipply in the morning but with plenty of sunshine so hope to see everyone there.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:01 AM
Tech Master

See everybody in a couple of hours.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Sorry I'm late with the final report but I am still compiling data for a comparison of the entire season so for now let it be enough to say that the weather was great, pretty chilly but great none the less. Rodney C got the hat trick with wins in all three classes. We picked up another new racer that showed he had previous skills, Mathew, welcome aboard. and thanks to everyone that took the maiden voyage with us. We appreciate each and every one of you more than you know.

Stay tuned for the actual rundown and closing thoughts on the season.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:30 AM
Tech Master

My apologies to all for the extended delay. The month of November has been less than kind to me with some perplexing issues and concerns but they are all(but one) behind me now so I can get back to business.

As I briefly mentioned earlier Rodney C got the hat trick with wins in all three classes with Paul R and Andy M rounding out VTA and newcomer Matthew S and Andy M
making the podium in Late Models. We could only muster a pair for CHR this time but since it was the last race of the season we went ahead and ran them. Paul R took runner up. There may have been yet another fast lap set in CHR with Rodney clocking a 23.298 lap in the first heat. I will have to go back through the paper work to verify. Of the six heat races run Rodney took 5. he sat one out to make repairs to another of his cars which let Andy M take top honors so in LM the heats went to Rodney, Andy and Todd and then Andy, Todd and Matt in the second. VTA heats went to Rodney, Paul and Matt in the first and Rodney, Paul and Andy in the second.

All in all it was a decent first season. I would have liked to have had a higher number of different racers but I'm not unhappy with the 31 that we had. That lets us know that there are racers out there to be reached.

We managed to get 12 Saturdays of racing in. Weather cost us I believe four and we lost a couple to scheduling errors that put either Vic or myself unavailable to host. We will do better next season. We ran the same three classes at all events. USVTA, USGT/CHR and Late Models. We would have liked to have had more interest in mini's and Euro trucks but for some reason they didn't show in any numbers. The same with F-1. We saw three all year. Hopefully we can draw some out for the next season.

We will be making a couple of circuit adjustments to ease corner entry as well as alleviate a couple of spots that hold a higher than normal damage percentage for those that happen to miss the entry or are forced off line. We will try to make improvements to the overall racing surface since we are less than overjoyed with what we have although it is the same for everyone. Some have adapted well to it and some have walked away in disgust since it isn't the overly groomed carpet they have become so accustomed to. For next year if I can budget it we may try to adapt some sort of traction aid for those less talented with the intricacies of asphalt.

We got a contact list started with all the regulars. If you weren't in attendance and would like to get on the list then please send me a PM with all the information like telephone and email. Sorry, no social media stuff. Homey don't drink no Kool-Aid. All info will be kept private unless you say otherwise and then it will stay within the group.

I had mentioned that if we could get some decent Saturday weather between now and when we get started again after the holidays that I would let everybody know. I will of course post it here but it will also go out to the contact list. A lot of you don't monitor emails regularly so this will give everyone a chance to try and remember their passwords.

Please, everybody have a safe, happy and prosperous Christmas and New Year and as always, stay tuned.
Mrcaldwell704 likes this.