Like Tree164Likes

Kannapolis Raceway Park

Old 09-28-2018, 04:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

See everybody in the morning. It looks like it will be another fun day racing.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:38 PM
Tech Adept

Sorry I couldn't make it out this week. I hope you guys had a great turnout! I should be out next race weekend.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:06 PM
Tech Master

We had a pretty good day but you were missed. Somebody else won the 50/50. I have had some unexpected delays in getting the race report out but I should be able to do it in the morning.

Stay tuned
Old 10-02-2018, 09:29 AM
Tech Master

OK. It has been a hectic few days what with our event on Saturday and then taking in the Roval at Charlotte Motor Speedway. The wife and I planned to leave at the end of the second stage so we could watch the end from the comfort of home but it has been quite some time since we have had our fix of sights sounds and smells that you can only get by being there. The heady aromas from hot brakes and clutch blended with the BBQ smoke and the pungent smell of the smoked turkey leg that the morbidly rotund woman adjacent to me was eagerly gnawing on between her food coma naps. The switch to E-85 has all but eliminated the special fragrance that only unburned hydrocarbons can provide but none the less we stayed to the end but I digress.

Saturday brought out a decent crowd of racers but we had some notable absences as well. My partner was working security at the big track which kept me pinned to timing and scoring giving support to my better half. John R didn't make it and Woody didn't either. We did have two full heats of the late models though and as usual they provided the fiercest lap by lap competition. Sammy S took both heats in the "B" with Steven S and Courtney C coming second and third in the first heat and then swapping places for the second. The "B" main went to Sammy who then took the bump up which awarded the vacated win to Steven S. The color for the day was provided by newcomer Taylor M who showed a great deal of exuberance if not patience. There is promise there though as he seems to be willing to listen to the tips given. We hope he comes back for the next event. It shouldn't be long before he will be dogging his Dad as well as the rest of us for a finishing position farther up the ladder.

The late model "A" main went to a good but too infrequent a racer by 3.226 seconds over Rodney C with Sammy S taking third after the bump up. The heats went to Rodney C with Todd W and Wade S and the second went to Wade S with Rodney C and Todd W. It was great to see Todd back with us after receiving some severe burns to his hands in a work related accident.

VTA was evenly shared among the top drivers in attendance with the Main going to Paul R with Sammy S and Andy M rounding out the top three. The heats went to Sammy with Paul second and Andy third and the second heat went to Andy with Sammy second and Paul third. Overall great performances throughout the field.

Carolina Hot Rod/ USGT established another new lap record with Rodney C hitting a 23.049 lap in the first heat over Paul R and Todd W. Paul R took the second heat with Todd in second and Rodney in third after an encounter with the boards took the vinegar out of his A800. The main went to Rodney with Paul and Todd rounding out the podium. Todd W was running a Traxxas Vortec pretty much out of the box except for a gear change and the car performed pretty well. There may be hope for a spec class of these cars if we can get a few out of hiding.

As mentioned, Rodney set another lap record during the first CHR/USGT heat. What wasn't mentioned was that during practice prior to getting started he cranked out a timed 22.864 that deserves at least honorable mention since it wasn't accomplished during actual competition. With the coming cooler weather I am sure the record will keep dropping. It might just be time for another appearance from Tony N(AKA the stig) plus Bevin and the "Cheese" as well.

See everybody on the 13th of October.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:50 AM
Tech Master

Looking forward to the weekend. Any arguments against running the CTA cars on the oval again? It was a good bit of fun. Not sure what the weather has in store with the storm headed North through the gulf. Will just have to wait and see.

Post up opinions on VTA oval.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:37 PM
Tech Master

Storm seems to have passed. Will check out everything at the track tomorrow and report.

Nothing on VTA oval?
Old 10-12-2018, 08:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

VTA oval is fine with me.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:11 PM
Tech Master

The track took it like a Prom Queen. Not a hair out of place although there were trees down all along Stone street coming down the hill to the track. Tomorrow will be a blow and go. With the temperature as low as they are saying traction should be good.

BTA oval will be fun.

See everybody in the morning.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just seeing this track and it looks great! What's the most popular class so far? Never raced on-road but would love to get started. Any info on car/class would be appreciated. At first glance, the mini class calls my name
Old 10-13-2018, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Today was race day and by the time I'm home and everything is unloaded I'm pretty beat. We had really great weather today and some terrific racing but more on that later.

You can find all of the information right here in this thread but it is a long read so save it for when you have time. To try to answer your question it appears that your initial interest would be in the 1/16 late models which are based on the Traxxas 1/16 Slash, KB truck, Ken Block rally, or the original Mustang. You can run either brushed or brushless but you must run the Traxxas 7373 tire. it is a super hard(almost drift) compound tire that provides all of the action of dirt oval racing without the mess of the dirt. it is a hoot and a half car control class that teaches patience and throttle control. The complete lack of traction reduces breakage to nearly "0". I have had no breakage at all outside of battery door replacement. The cars are so much fun that no matter how aggravated you get there is a smile on your face that Ajax won't remove. If this is something you might be interested in we maintain a decent supply of cars and complete packages at great start up prices. if you will contact me via PM I can tell you what is available and try to arrange a get together so you can check things out.

We also regularly run USVTA and USGT along with a run what you brung class called Carolina Hot Rod. To get exact particulars on the USGT/VTA rules you can simply google them for complete details. We have selected these classes as they have very concise and clear cut rules which make them easy to "tech" and inexpensive to operate. We maintain the Carolina Hot Rods as a place to put anything that shows up that doesn't fall into the USGT/VTA or Late Model rules. We don't want to or won't turn anyone away because the don't currently fit a class. We try to keep it as low key as possible with fun as the guiding fundamental.

We will add more classes as they appear but will never run more than three classes at an event. We like to start before noon and be finished by four. That way if you travel to an event you can get home at a reasonable hour.

Our next scheduled event will be Oct 27th. Hope to hear from you before and will want to see you then.

Thanks for your interest in having a great time with us at Kannapolis Raceway Park.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:31 AM
OSS
Tech Initiate

Hey guys, I had a great time yesterday I'm glad I finally got to run with you guys and try out the facility. I felt very welcome, thanks
Old 10-14-2018, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

Thank you sir. That is the response we are looking for. Welcome aboard. Hope to see you again on the 27th.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:01 PM
OSS
Tech Initiate

Could someone running Carolina Hot Rod post a PDF of the setup they use?
Old 10-15-2018, 06:58 AM
Tech Master

OSS, I will see if I can get you connected with one of the regular CHR guys. Never took the time to look at what equipment you are running.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:27 AM
OSS
Tech Initiate

I want to see setups from anything, I don't have a specific chassis in mind. I want to compare them with other setups I know.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service