Like Tree178Likes

Kannapolis Raceway Park

Old 07-28-2018, 05:51 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post
Looks really good John. I will have to remember to bring my "sub lime" Challenger body and the "plum crazy" Cuda body for side by side comparisons. The Challenger is on a Vaterra chassis with onboard audio for the car show's while the Cuda fits a TC-4.

What would you think of the VTA cars on the oval? There are a couple of groups around the country that do it occasionally with pretty good results. It might be fun to try out. I would want a majority consensus on it though. We will be having some conversations on the 4th.
The oval could be fun The only concern I'd have is thr durability of the cars if we run them like we do the late models The one nice thing is the racing would be really close
Old 07-29-2018, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

On the VTA tires the overall control level would be quite a bit higher than the late models. After all, the point of the late models is the lack of traction. We will have to have a practice run or maybe a test and tune day just for the VTA cars to get a better grasp on the viability. I don't want something that just creates a condition that needlessly destroys parts.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Tried to get the canopy frame finished today but Mother nature refused to cooperate. I just don't feel like being at the top of a 15ft ladder in a thunderstorm. Going to try again tomorrow.

Got a good deal on yet another late model today. This one is a brushed AM model with a Camaro body. The AM radio may not be the best way to go but it is race ready less batteries for $135. I think I mentioned earlier that you can get adequate batteries from Hobbyking for less than $10 each. We made a group buy not long ago and everybody seems satisfied.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

SHADE!! Wonderful, glorious temperature reducing, no squint SHADE!! Although not intended as an umbrella it is reasonably effective in keeping the dime sized raindrops from knocking your hat off. Hopefully, film by eleven!

SHADE!!!
NutDriver and triguy1975 like this.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:14 AM
Tech Master

OK, I didn't get it done by 11:00.

NutDriver and triguy1975 like this.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:31 PM
Tech Master

Despite the weather that we are having now the forecast for Saturday is 20%. Should be a good day to try out the new shade.
Mrcaldwell704 and triguy1975 like this.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

See everybody in the morning!
Old 08-04-2018, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

We had an amazing day at the races. New shade worked perfectly and was appreciated by all. We picked up a couple of new racers. One in the CHR/Mod ranks and seems to have an appreciable mount of previous experience. Enough to win the class and establish a new overall track record. We will refer to him with all due reverence as the "Stig". The other new guy came to us from off road and is pretty experienced himself. He has chosen to run with us in VTA as well as the CHR/Mod group. Chris was able to win VTA today as well as finish right behind the "Stig in CHR.

I will do a full rundown and recap as soon as I get rested up a bit. Will do my best to get it in tomorrow before the"Glen" gets started.

Oh!, We had our first Euro truck show up. What a hoot! Right out of the box(like this one was) is definitely how they should be run. Wheel hop and bouncing like a basketball be damned. It's a fricking truck! Not a pick-up but a TRUCK. It's not supposed to handle and it's not supposed to be fast. It's a truck and it is a certified howl to drive a teeny bit too deep into a corner or sweeper or wall for that matter. If you can come off the throttle promptly enough you can save it. If not, something else happens. Not necessarily bad, just different. You ought to see one on an oval. If you are gentle enough with the throttle you can actually get the rear end kicked out without getting any wheel hop which can create any number of different sorts of drama. But again, not all necessarily bad, just different. All of you out there that think this group of vehicles should be set aside for rookies or noob's should be ashamed of yourselves for hogging the fun. They produce a giggle factor that should be open to all. Just don't mess with them beyond bearings. It is another excellent platform to teach and practice steering and throttle control. Nuff said.

Be back later.
NutDriver likes this.

Last edited by mleemor60; 08-06-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:55 AM
Tech Master

OK, I missed a day again. It takes longer to recover from these "solar" powered events than it used to. I really need to get photo's of everyone and everything each time as well but between all the set up, computer operating, marshaling and occasionally getting to participate in a class or two and then the take down and trash emptying I sometimes get stretched to the point of translucency. Not complaining though, even at my age I still get a big kick in the a$$ from it.

I really suppose that I should learn how to post the timing and scoring sheets so everybody can scan them and create their own imaginary narrative but alas, I'm not there yet so you are stuck with how I saw things. As I mentioned it was a really good day of racing. Still missing a few regulars but the gaps a filling up with new people of various skills spread out across the classes with notable mention of Chris T and the "Stig".

Speaking of the "Stig", he managed to reset the overall lap record with a 24.412 second lap on his way to claiming the CHR/Mod main over Rodney C. and Chris T. These guy's make it look almost easy enough for me to try. Yeah, right. Maybe 35 years ago.

VTA went to Chris T with myself and John R finishing seconds apart but 2 laps down to Chris for what will likely be one of many victories to come.

The late models stole the show again with car count as well as elbows out action across both the "A" and "B". Vic C. took the "B" and the bump over JD and newcomer Woody. The "A" went to Rodney C with myself in second and Todd W. in third. Vic managed to claw his way to fourth while John R was just 7.8 second behind him. Steve S. brought up the rear but somewhere in the mix we had a ghost car without a transponder driven by the "Stig". I didn't see him much during the race but I bet he was near the front. Next time we will hang a transponder on him. Courtney C had a good day in the qualifiers winning one outright but then had to leave before the Mains.

We have Sept. 1st on the calendar for a race date which will be Labor Day weekend. Not sure how all the competitors feel about it so lets start getting opinions up as to whether or not a lot of you want to take the last long weekend fling for a day at the races or perhaps some family endeavors. Maybe we can put on an all oval show that weekend. We have been talking about trying the VTA cars on the oval so this might be a chance to try it out. Keep the comments coming.
Mrcaldwell704 likes this.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Iím all for doing vta on the oval. I had a blast there this weekend. Itís definitely a learning experience when Iíve done nothing but oval for the past 20+ years and only 4 minute races. Overall though I couldnít ask for better results for the first race ever on a road course. Looking forward to the next race in a couple weeks.
Chris T.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:06 AM
Tech Master

All a treack operator hopes for are participants that will become assets to the program. We certainly got lucky with you and the "Stig". Our main goal in this, our first season, was to build a program that people would want to be involved with. It has also been a huge learning process for us as well but we are gaining on it. The biggest thing is learning the computer and timing system to the point that we don't get hung up on some of the odd quirks it can pull occasionally.

Thanks for coming and please, Keep it up.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:22 AM
Tech Adept

I"m in for Sept 1st. I typically stay in on the big travel weekends. Plus I'll be in Italy for work missing the 15th and hate to go 4 weeks without running.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

Cool beans! Maybe we can work up a Labor Day all oval show.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Are all of the Traxxas 1/16th models used for the Late Models (even the e-Revo)?
Old 08-09-2018, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

The E-revo doesn't fit the class as designed. Too wide. You can replace all the control arms and out drives to bring it back to the Slash, Mustang, Rallye, KB truck width and then just add the wheels from the cars and the 7373 tires and you are ready to go. There are a couple of other odds and ends like the front bumper/body mount. Right now any enclosed body is acceptable but we are moving in the direction of making it a body class. With a couple of dirt late model bodies, shoe box Chevy and Ford, Mustangs and Camaros and even the little rallye bodies for Mini stocks we will be able to keep it fresh for all involved. If you haven't already you should stop by on a race day and somebody will put one in your hand that has all the bits on it. They compete equally both brushed and brushless. The additional weight of the brushed is a decent traction aid.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 2.14 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.