Like Tree168Likes

Kannapolis Raceway Park

Old 06-19-2018, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Let me preface the "bring it out and we will run it" statement with "on road only". No off road.

I too would like to get the F-1's out in the open. Right now I think we have three. Matt, Rodney and myself. There is at least one more out there that came once and ran with the hot rods just for the track time. We need at least five. BWD down in SC has a fleet of them. I know they are out there so if you have one then please check in with us so we can get them all together at once and give it a go.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:21 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm planning on being there on Sat. My son will probably join me as well. I will have a VTA car and Late Model ready to go. I will also be bringing several cars that will be for sale if anyone is interested. A TC4 that will be set up and ready for VTA, a TC 6.1 that can be set up as a VTA, USGT, or 17.5 TC, and an Xray X1'15 F1.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:22 AM
Tech Master

Outstanding! It will be great to have you back. See you all on Saturday,
Old 06-22-2018, 09:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Mike - Do you happen to have any front lower arms for the 1/16 rally? As I was packing up I noticed my son's car has a broken ride side lower front arm. I did a quick patch on it, but I doubt it will hold up. If you have any, could you please bring them to the track tomorrow? Thanks
Old 06-23-2018, 04:30 AM
Tech Master

Will do Matt. See everybody in a couple of hours.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Wow! What a day. Hot? It would have had to cool off a bit to considered hot. Did we learn some more about our racing surface? Sure did. Track temps in the 140's during the mains and drivers reporting traction changes if a cloud passed. We opened up the tire selection for Mod/CHR and when it was over the critic's choice was the spec USGT tire that we are already using. Couldn't beat it for consistency and had less give up than anything else tried from any manufacturer.

I'm not going to go into the recap now cause I'm completely whipped. In the morning after the French GP I will give it a go but right now I need a nap.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:23 PM
Tech Master

It's a little later getting to this than I anticipated but I guess it's better late than not at all.

I already mentioned the heat and the fact that for all the flack we have been taking for not allowing the boo birds to select their own tires they found out that the spec USGT tire provided the best performance across the board and at the lowest cost. You just gotta love it when a plan comes together.

We started the day with a full field of VTA cars but the heat seemed to be hard on either the cars or maybe more on the drivers. By the time the main wound down it was Matt R pulling out the win with Paul R and John R on the podium. I will say that I have never heard such tortured screams from the PF tires as they tried their best to get a sufficient grasp on the lava like surface. Going into the corners it sounded like a chorus of "owowowowowow" could be heard from anywhere around the track. It was actually a bit entertaining.

The CHR/Mod class was fun to watch as well. The excessive heat made any serious attempt at lowering the track record moot. The track was so sensitive that lap times would drop tenth's when the sun went behind a cloud. Any effort to push beyond the solar limit would produce some pretty lurid slides. Some were more controlled than others though but all looked almost ballet like as forward bite was exchanged for lateral deceleration in the quest for milliseconds of lap time. When it was over the current lap record was safe for the day with Rodney C taking the top step and R/C Pete and Paul R coming across less than a second apart to round out the top three.

The late models had an "A" and a "B" group. The "B" went to Vic C who opted for the bump there by relinquishing the win to Courtney C with second and third going to the hard charging and talented Parker and Em R. A few more trips to the track for these two will have them vying for an outright win. Their Dad is justifiably proud. The "A" was quite a scrap. The lead kept changing hands between Rodney C and Matt R with yours truly firmly ensconced in third. When the horn sounded it was me in third and to tell you the truth I am not sure if it was Rodney or Matt. We are still having some issues with missed laps. They know who was first and second.

We recently found out that there are updates available for our transponders so Tomorrow I am sending all of our racers units in for calibration. Hope that takes care of it for good.

That concludes another entertaining day at the races. See everybody on the 7rth of July.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

if anyone is interested, i got 2 TT02 cars, with usgt tires, and 2 batterys, bunch of spare parts ARTR, just add receiver. asking $150 for pair,

text me if interested, 704-796-4503
Old 06-26-2018, 12:23 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by knuckles30 View Post
if anyone is interested, i got 2 TT02 cars, with usgt tires, and 2 batterys, bunch of spare parts ARTR, just add receiver. asking $150 for pair,

text me if interested, 704-796-4503
Someone buy these and let's get a new class added. I've got TT02 dying to race.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:27 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the racap Mike. IT was a great weekend of racing. I'm going to miss it next time when I'm out of town. Hopefully soon we'll get enough interest to get the F1 group running. I've got mine all ready to go. One question I have for the F1.. Where would we place the transponder so it can be picked up?

Also just a note for the group. If anyone needs any 3d prints done for parts let me know. I'm just getting the printer setup and tuned in, but it won't be long before I can help folks out.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:50 PM
Tech Master

That is a great question John. Since there is no windshield to make the transponder visible we will have to figure something out. Maybe an inch square unpainted section just in front of the cockpit?

Hey, we will miss you on the 7th. Great on the 3D work. Maybe you can fab up a bracket for the better positioning of the transponders

Transponders are on their way to the factory for updates and will be back in time for the next event.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the race recap Mike. The kids and I had a blast as usual. Rodney and I had quite a battle in the late model main, but in the end he got me with a couple laps to go. I'll be gunning for him next time. Thanks again for the loaner motor for Emily. I haven't had a chance to tear into it yet, but if I can't get it fixed I'll have another one in there for the next race. As of right now the calendar is clear for 7/7, so we will plan on being there.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:31 PM
Tech Master

Outstanding on the 7th. The kids really are an asset to our program. Kids should be an asset to every program everywhere. It helps to have a class that is as much fun for us as it is for them.

I will have a back up motor just in case.
NutDriver likes this.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:23 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post
Maybe you can fab up a bracket for the better positioning of the transponders.
It's on the list for me. Although my windshield mounting with a servo extension cable has been good. Concerning the F1 cars, maybe we can locate them on the rear or front wings or forego the driver for the transponder. . I'm going to get some clear filament so maybe I can make a cover. I've got a design for the front wing I might be able to modify for a tansponder recess with a window. Hmmm.. I'll work on it between prints, builds, and everything else I seem to get into.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default F1 transponder idea

I have been looking for a more universal halo for F1 cars than the one I have seen for the J Concepts body. With a halo to provide some protection and the fact that most F1 bodies (save the factory Xray body) have separate heads, maybe the transponder could be placed where the driver's helmet would normally be added?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service