Like Tree141Likes

Kannapolis Raceway Park

Old 05-13-2018, 11:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

OK. Lets see if I can get this right. We did have an issue or three with missed laps yesterday, no rhyme or reason just arbitrary with a couple of cars. Not a big deal as we were watching for it. There was some pretty spirited competition across all classes. VTA went to Rodney C over Andy M by about 1.2 seconds with Sammy S finishing third. Carolina Hot Rod went to Andy M by about .7 over the "Cheese" With Paul R close behind. "Cheese" did set an all out track record of 25.175. Not the previously stated 25.158 that I posted yesterday. Subtle difference. The late model main went to Rodney C with Sammy S in second and last event winner Todd W coming in third. The cool thing is the entire field's mean lap times were within .4 seconds with the best single lap of the day turned in by Wade(Kdub)S at a 6.604 in the second heat. Great job. The late models continue to put on the best show as evidenced by the close lap times. The highly infectious fun this class provides is also contributing to the class growth. it won't be too long and we will be approaching three heats to get them all in. If anybody wants to try one on I bring a loaner to every event.

At the next event things will start being a little more technical as I picked up tech scales today.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Pics from Saturday

USVTA

NutDriver likes this.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Kannapolis Raceway (kannapolis,NC)

USVTA

mleemor60 likes this.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Good pictures Courtney. Thanks so very much.

If anybody out there knows how to get in contact with RC Pete please ask him to contact me through the forum( oh wait, thanks to the forum upgrade that doesn't work anymore) anyway, have him try to reach us through the tracks social media page. It would be appreciated.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Great pics and as always lots of fun. Lots still to figure out for me, but lots of fun.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

John you are gaining on it pretty well. Your late model looks like it needs to be softened up on the springs(just backing the tension down) so it will start to rotate on braking.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post
John you are gaining on it pretty well. Your late model looks like it needs to be softened up on the springs(just backing the tension down) so it will start to rotate on braking.
Good tip Mike! I was struggling a bit with it. I also need to change the ESC for throttle on. I may add some more drag brake.. I have it starting too hard as well i think. From what I saw my top end was a good match with the group now at least. I'll work on it and drop by this weekend for the practice session. I'd like to get it tuned in and then have a body fit the car that actually looks good. I've appreciated everyone's feedback on setting up the car.

I think my VTA and USGT cars are getting pretty close. With some 48 pitch gearing my limit is going to be me and not the car setup. Then I'll work on putting a faster motor in the USGT. to keep up. Goal for next time will be to finish and be closer to the field.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

As I mentioned on Saturday, we will host another "test and tune" on Saturday May 19th to coincide with the official park opening for the season. This will be a free session. I can't see making the racers pay for the opportunity to put themselves in the fishbowl that is certain to prevail with an onslaught of questions and requests from inquisitive park attendees who may have never seen a full on competition RC car before. Please, everybody do their best to answer questions as they come up or refer them to me if you will.

This session will be shorter than normal so plan for 10-12. I will be there a little earlier to set things up but I can't see it going much past noon. Right now the weather looks pretty iffy for Saturday but I will be monitoring it all week, Check in here on Friday night. I will post a go, no go by 9PM.

Stay tuned.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

No appreciable change in the weather forecast for Saturday but not giving up yet. We will stick to the original plan of making a final decision at 9:00 PM tomorrow night.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Finger's crossed.. If the weather holds out I'll be there. I've got new 48 pitch gearing and am ready to run them in plus I need to really figure out my ICE car.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

If we get it in I will be more than happy to help you work the bugs out of the late model.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

I'm going to call no joy. The grounds around the track are a mess again with more rain coming late tonight not to mention tomorrow. If we stay off of it it will be a lot better for the 26th. Sorry guys but I'm giving tis one to old Ma Nature.

Stay tuned
Old 05-20-2018, 10:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

What does everyone run for camber and toe on the Ice cars I've realigned mine to 7 degrees camber and 4 degrees of toe in on the back and 4 out in the front It seems much better. Just curious if I'm in the range
Old 05-20-2018, 11:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

If it is comfortable to drive and you can get it around while driving hard then it is OK but those numbers seem extreme. I run -2.5 LF, -4 RF, -2 LR and - 2.5 RR. I am not sure of how much rear toe but it is something like +2 in and very close to 0 to -1 on the front. These are static settings. The upper and lower ball joints both front and rear are so sloppy the settings could be anything but it handles OK for me and is comfortable to drive a low line with lots of panic brake or a high line with the throttle. I'm not one of the fast guys but I can give them fits until my attention span gives up.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Mike. I was wondering about running it biased. I was having a hard time on brake with the car spinning out I might reduce the camber a bit to see.i was practicing on the local tennis courts yesterday.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service