Like Tree135Likes

Kannapolis Raceway Park

Old 04-15-2018, 02:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

John, thanks for joining us. PM me your email address and I will try to answer all of your new questions.

Sorry about not getting a race report out but whatever changes have been made to the forum has created a problem with even completing a post without getting a long running script message that just brings everything to a screeching halt.

My apologies gang.

Stay tuned.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by triguy1975 View Post
Ok guys.. Im looking at building a VTA car now. What pinion/spur gear combo are most of you running for our course? For the motor we just need a 25.5T motor. Do we need to have a Roar approved to run here? Just trying to get a idea for a starting point for my build.

Also, are we able to run brushless motors for the Late Model Traxxas race?

I did figure out my ESC issue and have everything working great. Also have got new universal joints coming for the TT02. I kept reading about that happening, but had no idea how much Id get to know that first hand.

I will actually finish a run next time AND have my laps counted. Great meeting everyone and thanks to all for the encouragement and help.
For VTA I am running about a 3.7 final drive ratio. Pinion and spur sizes will depend on chassis internal ratio and if you are running 48 pitch or 64 pitch gears. As far as the motor is concerned, I believe the plan is to follow the USVTA rule set which does require a ROAR approved 25.5 motor. Currently not being teched, but as Mike and Vic stated yesterday, the tech inspections will come. For the late model traxxas class, the brushed or brushless motors are allowed. Hope this helps.

Matt
Old 04-15-2018, 05:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks Matt. This format change is giving me fits.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rusch49 View Post

For VTA I am running about a 3.7 final drive ratio. Pinion and spur sizes will depend on chassis internal ratio and if you are running 48 pitch or 64 pitch gears. As far as the motor is concerned, I believe the plan is to follow the USVTA rule set which does require a ROAR approved 25.5 motor. Currently not being teched, but as Mike and Vic stated yesterday, the tech inspections will come. For the late model traxxas class, the brushed or brushless motors are allowed. Hope this helps.

Matt

Thanks Matt. That's just want I was looking for. I'm building a rig with a 64 pitch and a 1.9 ratio so I was trying to figure out my pinion range. 3.7 helps a ton zoom in my range. I've got a set of pinions coming that should get me from 3.5 to 4.1. If all goes well I'll be crashing in the VTA race as well. Hopefully I can keep my cars together this time. Figured out a lot and I have a plan to avoid failures from last time. I'm sure I'll run into a whole new list of failures.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Gearing will also depend on your motor timing as well. All motors will behave a little differently so there is no magic gearing/timing that will work for everyone. That being said, I'm running a Team Scream 25.5 motor set at 43-44 degrees timing. Also be sure you are running a fan to help keep motor temps down. Let me know if you have any other questions. Happy to help.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rusch49 View Post
Gearing will also depend on your motor timing as well. All motors will behave a little differently so there is no magic gearing/timing that will work for everyone. That being said, I'm running a Team Scream 25.5 motor set at 43-44 degrees timing. Also be sure you are running a fan to help keep motor temps down. Let me know if you have any other questions. Happy to help.
Thanks! Will do!
Old 04-17-2018, 10:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

John, you have fallen into excellent hands.

Before it fades any more in my mind I better get out what I can remember about the weekend. Best turn out yet and we were missing several probably due to their continuing commitment to the short course truck series that is going on. We still managed 17 drivers across the three classes with two visiting from the Greenville SC area. The racing was terrific but I can't say with any certainty who won what. I have been in contact with the timing system manufacturer and he thought it might help if we could shield the bridge sensors from what he called side scatter. He doesn't think that the placement of the transponders is having any effect on the issue. Saturday was the first time we have had that much intense sunshine but it won't be the last so we will have taken measures by the next race on the 28th so bear with us.

As mentioned the actual racing was really great. We started nine VTA cars out of a field of eleven(with 4 regulars missing). Once through the first few corners and everyone had sorted themselves Bevin, Matt and Andy put on a good show for the entire race never being more than a second or two apart. When it was over I'm not sure who won but they know. Same with CHR but I know that Andy M came out on top. I think. Again, they know.

The late models have grown as a group to the point that we broke them into an "A" and "B" group this time. The "B" was won by first timer Parker R and second went to his sister Em. The best part is that their combined age is less than 12. Dad Matt should be really proud. They both are going to be good in a race or two. By splitting the field up to 6 and 6 it made the "A" a real race, sure there was still some chaos but it was more controlled with a couple less cars. Matt R and Todd W held a clinic on how get around the pollen dusted surface with Sammy S keeping them in sight. When it was over I think it was Matt for his first win but it might have been Todd. They know.

The timing thing was aggravating but everybody seemed to tolerate it. I promise we won't make a habit of it. As mentioned earlier steps are already being taken.

Stay tuned
triguy1975 likes this.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the race recap Mike. It was a great day. The kids and I had a blast. Parker and Emily couldn't wait to get home and tell Mom that they finished first and second in their race. Unfortunately I will be out of town for the next race, but we plan on being back for the following one.
triguy1975 likes this.
Old Yesterday, 04:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

To my way of thinking it is always good to get kids involved. It helps grow the program not to mention the point that when they show the amount of interest and competitive spirit that your two do it makes all of us have a better time. Another of the racers has stated that he will bring his daughter next time. He didn't this last trip because he was unsure of the "Family" vibe. Now he knows so he too is looking for a late model so that she can get involved.

We have a great hobby. It is our job to make sure that we pass the fun and excitement along in a positive fashion not only to our kids but to anyone that may be interested in getting involved. It can be difficult sometimes to keep a positive attitude with the results of the day but then you look up and your son or daughter are standing there with that inquisitive look on their faces and then everything kind of drops back into perspective.
NutDriver likes this.