Like Tree178Likes

Kannapolis Raceway Park

Old 02-03-2018, 05:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Missed seeing everyone today. Hope that I get to make it to the next one. Funeral for my grandfather went as good as one can go i suppose. In a lost world right but hoping to find my way out. Mike let me know what I need to know to get caught up to speed.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Let's see. Where do I start. The turn out could have been better but life happens so we all can understand that. On the plus side it allowed for me to work through my miserable failure with the timing system. Not the systems fault it performed flawlessly but my incredible lack of knowledge on how it works embarrassed the living sh1t out of me. Even after two calls to our old system operator who has moved to Ohio I just plain vapor locked. Fortunately my partners inlaws were in attendance and his counterpart(sons father inlaw) was extremely fascinated with what we were doing and jumped in. After about 15 minutes he had the system operating on at least one full cylinder bank. He left with all the system manuals and promised to have us operating on all cylinders by the next event. I would have kissed him on the mouth if he had shaved. I know how I feel when I visit another facility and things don't run smoothly for whatever reason so when things don't run in a way that I feel is up to par then it makes me crabby cause now its on me. I promise to make it better if I have to stop racing to run it. I have always felt that you can't race and run the race at the same time or you will do both poorly. Today to me at least I proved the prophecy.

Traction didn't seem to be as high as it was for the open house. We had it blown off nicely and the weather came around to quite pleasant but everybody was just a bit too loose. The only difference was the next door quarry wasn't operating so we were down on the lite coat of granite dust we had last time. Maybe we have been looking for a traction helper in all the wrong places. Lap times ran consistently in the low 30's for both USGT and VTA with Paul Rowe having the best GT time among the mortal's of a 27. can't remember but seems like a 1. The fast time of the day was a 25.5 in VTA by, everybody knows who so I will spare him the adoration. The printer that we purchased for the track is still new cause I couldn't figure out how to print results. When the weather warms up there will be some 22-23 second laps out there. Once we figure out how the surface holds up with no tire prep we may open it up to limited prep to speed things up a tick. We didn't get F-1 in cause only 4 showed up and they all belonged to "Big Wave Dave". Not sure what we will run next time beyond VTA but I will let everybody know soon.

Since I'm not into social media if anybody wants to beat me up for today please do it here so I can see it. It will get better. Especially if I don't have to worry about night terrors over the timing system.

Stay tuned.
scirocco14 likes this.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Don't beat yourself up, Mike. There are always teething pains. Plus now you have room for improvement!

I'm sure the turnout will pick up as the weather gets better. Can't speak for others, but I'm a wimp. Sitting outside all day in the cold to play toy cars isn't my idea of 'fun'. But like I said, I'm a wimp.

I have some setup tricks to help the PF tires hook up better on asphalt. I'd be happy to share with my friends as long as they let me win when I show up. ha ha ha....

Carry on!

Mark C
Old 02-04-2018, 05:08 AM
Tech Master

Thanks Mark. I've come in off the ledge this morning but once a Marine always a Marine. In my ancient mind there still is an order of things that makes things flow in a proper fashion. It isn't enough that the ducks must be in a row they must also be in step. It's the kind of thing that keeps me from putting cyanide on my cereal especially at this stage in my life. I did pick up a tip or two from one of the racers yesterday an will implement them as soon as we can get it done.

We did a little measuring yesterday and it is 212 feet net from the light pole to the track enclosure. Now all we need is a good shovel crew or a trencher and a philanthropist electrician and we will have the power on..
Old 02-04-2018, 06:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Sorry I couldn't make it yesterday. Don't beat yourself up Mike. I'm sure you will get this ironed out. Us racers just need to appreciate the work you've put in to make this cool track to race at. Hope to be at the next one to take a shot at that VTA fast lap!
Old 02-04-2018, 07:17 AM
Tech Master

Thanks Matt. I know it will get sorted out but if I don't abuse myself over it I will likely forget and repeat it. We truly didn't have any problems but we did have several opportunities that require solutions.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:31 PM
Tech Initiate

I enjoyed myself, and didn’t notice any issues you where facing, lol so it couldn’t have been that bad. I can’t wait to get more info on how my car should be set up and what things I need to look for, so I can compete with the big dawgs. Overall I love every bit of this weekend, and soon as you get the lap system down. I’ll be glad to learn so I can help assist so you can get you some racing as well.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:06 PM
Tech Master

Let me know what your schedule is and we will find some time to get together and go over your chassis to make it better and easier for you to drive. We can also make a list of what to have on hand parts and tools wise to make that part easier as well. I would be happy to help.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Ok! I will mike. Also where do I need to send off my transponder? For the harness
Old 02-05-2018, 03:20 PM
Tech Initiate

I’m good anytime Monday-Sunday I work 3rd and get off around 8am sleep until noon then up until around 4:30,before I get a few more z’s before I go back in at 10pm.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:20 PM
Tech Master

How about Thursday around 2? Give me a call when you get up and start moving and we will set something up.

I will get you the address and have it ready for you on Thursday.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:23 AM
Tech Initiate

Ok Thursday sounds good
Old 02-08-2018, 04:05 AM
Tech Master

My apologies for not keeping everybody up to date. Have spent some time the past couple of days researching what it will take to get power pulled to the track. We are 212 feet from the nearest light pole inside the park. I would like to pull a heavy enough cable to get us 60A of service with three circuits. One for timing and scoring, one for general use by the racers and one for lights and sound. To do that it will take a number 6 cable from the pole to the fence. Luckily it only has to be buried to a depth of 2 feet which is lucky since the track has a tractor with a trencher attachment that will get us to that depth. The trick is matching cables to what is already at the pole since we cannot increase above existing size. Since it rained a little over an inch yesterday I have no desire to open up a live box at ground level to check cable size. Especially considering how wet the ground still is from the last rain event.

On another note we figured out how to get the lights on for the bathroom so no one is in the dark or exposed to nature.
NutDriver likes this.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Mike, just wondering what the tire rule is/will be for VTA. My question is, will the HPI tires still be legal for the foreseeable future. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:29 AM
Tech Master

When it was first announced that the HPI tires would no longer be legal I stated that they would always be welcome at KRP until there were absolutely none left UNLESS we hosted a sanctioned event in which case all rules would be complied with. We have no plans to seek out a sanctioned event of any type for the foreseeable future and certainly not before we can get a three class full field event to come off without a hitch. I'm embarrassed enough as it is.
NutDriver likes this.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 2.14 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.