Like Tree178Likes

Kannapolis Raceway Park

Old 01-06-2018, 05:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Mike I will see you Vic in a few hours. Bringing a fellow Statesville RC nut with me as well. 8 degrees at my house right now lol.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Glad to see a great turnout today
Old 01-06-2018, 02:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Well. Where do I begin. I guess it was a success considering the fact that it was 6* when I got to the track and made it to 29* by 3:00. The sun was bright so we managed a high track temperature of 50* plus or minus a degree or two. The quarry was actually working today so we had a continuous supply of talc fine dust in the air so even after we blew it off before 11 this morning when I first go on the oval I was sweeping a lane as I went. Oddly enough not a soul had anything to say about traction. The VTA cars appeared to be neutral as were the USGT cars. There were a couple of 17.5 cars that were a little loose .The F-1's were both loose and tight like they were before. All in all about 25 cars took to the track at different times as we switched from road course to oval. Some of the VTA cars looked really settled and fast as they tried the oval. The mini's were, well, the mini's. Nobody traction rolled or was overly loose.

We had about a hundred people that were there today. A lot of new faces wanting information on what, how and when so it is looking good for the possibility of adding some new people to the fold. Interest was very high for VTA. It's simplicity and stable rules made it the first choice. Close behind that was USGT. It was more interesting to people with a little more experience or with an off road background. Nobody thought that any of the cars appeared too slow but the slightly faster GT cars with a more current body style created interest.

We are good now until the 20th of January when we will do our hard opening. There are a couple of tweaks to the track that need to be done that will add some speed but reduce a spot that created a couple of re-kitting incidents. The temperature probably had more to do with it than a slightly blind apex at the end of the 110 ft. back stretch.

There was a lot going on and I need some time to thaw out and reflect so there may be some additions to the day.

Stay tuned
NutDriver and scirocco14 like this.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

That's an awesome turnout! Imagine what the turnout will be when it's not cold as a witch's you know what!! ha ha.

Every track needs to have that one spot that separates the gifted from the wannabees....kind of like the kink at Road America. Don't change a thing!

Mark C
Old 01-06-2018, 05:04 PM
Tech Master

One of the best parts of the day for me was reconnecting with a racer from South Florida that I hadn't seen since maybe 1984-85. That was really special for me. He was just a kid then coming to the races with his older brother. I hope he gets involved with us. I gave him some wheel time with one of our Late models and he was smiling when he climbed down from the stand.

I would really like to thank all the people that turned out today despite the cold. I can only imagine what it will be like when things warm up.

Here are a couple of photo's of the day. The crowd was a rolling one with people coming and going and some coming back for more.
Attached Thumbnails Kannapolis Raceway Park-20180106_124049.jpg   Kannapolis Raceway Park-20180106_124550.jpg   Kannapolis Raceway Park-20180106_124638.jpg  
NutDriver likes this.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:23 PM
Tech Initiate

I was impressed by the turnout today. Ran my VTA car and traction was pretty good considering the temps. Great job with the track. Looking forward to some good racing here.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:05 AM
Tech Master

Thanks Matt. Positive comments from a racer with your skill level will go a long way toward making it a success.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by mleemor60
One of the best parts of the day for me was reconnecting with a racer from South Florida that I hadn't seen since maybe 1984-85. That was really special for me. He was just a kid then coming to the races with his older brother. I hope he gets involved with us. I gave him some wheel time with one of our Late models and he was smiling when he climbed down from the stand.
Hey Mike, thanks for letting me do some laps for the first time in 30 years. It was good to see you and good luck with the track, you've done a great job. I'll stop back in sometime and check out a race day. Who knows, could be fun to try it out.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:40 AM
Tech Master

Any time Tom, any time at all. There should be a VTA car in your future. Even if it is a loaner for the day. Stay in touch.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:11 PM
Tech Master

OK. Today boys and girls we will talk about what it will take to convert your 1/16 slash or Revo over to one of what we call our oval late models. The parts are in no particular order on a couple of them I will add to the bottom as being worthwhile having on hand just in case you are the unfortunate on who breaks one of the pieces.

You will need TRA7335 front bumper to convert from the kicked up nose to the conventional touring car type arrangement. TRA7215,7314 and 7315 body mount kits. we run several different type bodies on the single platform so a variety of body mounts are handy. If you have the Slash you won't need this but you will with any of the other chassis configurations. TRA7035 Slash rear bumper(great piece for keeping unwanted noses from getting too personal. TRA 7340 white springs(green bands)2.9 rating. These have proven to be the best option for creating that "loose dirt" feeling without any of the nastiness. Tires are TRA 7373 gymkhana slicks mounted on any of the wheels produced for this chassis line(pavement use) They fit the black ,white, silver, green, green and chrome and the Kyle Bush truck wheels. Average life span for these tires is about two years of hard competition unless you do some really weird camber set ups. You can get the tires and wheels as pre-mounts in pairs, TRA7376,7377 and 7378. There are a couple more if your vanity dictates that you need them.

The add on oh by the way bits are the Axle carriers TRA7034 or RPM 73162(available in colors for those who care and A-arms, TRA7031 or RPM 80652 again in colors for those who, never mind, you know who you are. If you are switching over a Revo then you "will" need the oh by the way set complete set of A-Arms PLUS the shorter axle shafts since the Slash, Mustang, track, Rally are narrower than the Revo.

For bodies we use the McAllister #299 Batesville late model body the McAlister Bomber bodies both Chevy and Ford and the Camaro street stock and 69 Mustang plus the Pro-line 2011 Camaro if you can find one. They seem to be discontinued but are out there like some of the best VTA bodies.

This chassis with either the 12T brushed or the VXL brushless are equally competitive though the 12T produces a pronounced "list" when cornering. We have run them heads up with both 2S and 3S with the 2S holding the advantage. They are like watching a cat hurriedly trying to leave a room with a well waxed hard wood floor with a 90* turn into the adjoining room. They produce some of the most fun racing you will ever do. I have never seen anyone angry for more than a few seconds because you just keep coming back to the cat thing in your mind and you laugh again. I have never had as much fun racing an RC car. If people that visited the track last week would chime in with some unbiased comments I would appreciate it.

I have someone sending me some of the photo's that went up on social media. As soon as I get them I will add them here.

Stay tuned.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default USGT rules question

Was out there for the open house and absolutely loved the track. One question I have is what motor limit is going to be in the USGT class? Rules says 21.5 but I thought I heard someone say it was going to be 25.5. Thank you for your time.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by flameds15
Was out there for the open house and absolutely loved the track. One question I have is what motor limit is going to be in the USGT class? Rules says 21.5 but I thought I heard someone say it was going to be 25.5. Thank you for your time.
USGT is 21.5, per the national rules set. You can run a 25.5 if you want but you will be slow. If you want to run a 25.5, then USVTA is the class you'd want.

Mark C.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:55 AM
Tech Master

Thanks Mark. There were so many conversations going on at the same time around the heat under the canopy that some questions may have been answered incorrectly or overheard that way. Sorry for the confusion and please post away for informational and procedural requests. The 20th is coming fast.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

flamed,

here is the rule site for USVTA and USGT

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am R/C Racing Series
Old 01-09-2018, 09:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

MIke, everything was great. looking forward to the 20th. hope enough minis show up.

1 question, transponders for that day?

will you have any?

Thanks again

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 2.14 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.