Like Tree178Likes

Kannapolis Raceway Park

Old 12-20-2017, 10:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Weather is no longer iffy. It's a wash. I find myself somewhat conflicted by it though. We have had a pretty good head of steam built up the past few days and it would be nice to keep it going. On the other hand a day off isn't so bad either.

Still no word from the forum powers as to what a security token is but did manage to dig up a couple other shots from yesterday. I'm beginning to think there is a conspiracy. Is there a limit as to the number of total photo's can be in a thread? Only one will load again.

On a different but related note we have hooked up with Track Lyons and have ordered several pounds of dots to use around the track. I ordered them in 2 different heights to keep everybody honest-ish. That way we can move them around so the result of clipping them will be an adventure all its own.

Oh well, maybe tomorrow so stay tuned.
Attached Thumbnails Kannapolis Raceway Park-20171219_141701.jpg  
NutDriver likes this.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:58 AM
Tech Master

Was able to finish trimming out the drivers stand today save a few rough edges that need sanding. The ground around the track was incredibly soft today so getting in was touch and go. Something else to add to the must address list before we get too much farther along. Since we are right next door to a rock quarry maybe we can get a couple truck loads of gravel hauled in.

Got a couple more pictures to post. Lets see which one(s) make the cut. My lucky day. They all loaded.
Attached Thumbnails Kannapolis Raceway Park-dscn5129.jpg   Kannapolis Raceway Park-dscn5130.jpg   Kannapolis Raceway Park-dscn5135.jpg  
NutDriver likes this.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Track is looking good. Been a while since I've ran on asphalt but looks like we will be doing again soon with the Minis.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Glad to see you want to join us. We have had a Mini on the track and it stayed right side up.

Hopefully it won't be much longer. Planning an open house first half of January so we can see what is out there. For the green horns we are trying to put together a comprehensive list of the Hobby Shops that are within 2 hours of here that also have a good reputation for customer service as well as assistance. Then we will have what we feel are the best E-tailers like A Main and TQ/RC as examples. The list will be kind of a what, where, when and how list to keep everybody on the right track.

Stay tuned here to see when we are trackside working and stop by if you get a chance. Our list of drop in visitors is growing.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

NutDriver likes this.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:37 AM
Tech Master

Thank you Kraig for sorting it out. A lot of effort for one photo but at last it is posted.

Heading for the track here in a few minutes so we can work on getting more if not all of the inside railings secured. Weather looks good so a full on effort is in the picture for today.

Stay tuned.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:05 PM
Tech Master

Spent the better part of the day at the track and can announce that ALL railings and barriers are complete. Got a couple more holes to drill in the Asphalt so we can install pivots for the moveable pieces. Need to put some red markings on the rails starting a few feet back from the corners to give a little warning and install the dots when they arrive middle of next week. At least now we can see the end and plan the opening. We have selected dates for the open house and the official opening. They have slipped out on social media but I can't announce them here until I get a chance to speak to the race director at the Hobby Connection in Easley S.C. since we don't want to be competing for racers on the same day. So check in tomorrow and see if I have gotten it worked out.

After completing the barriers we ran a USGT, F-1 and a VTA car. The F-1 seemed to be well planted and could be induced into oversteer or push by brake application or a line change. The VTA car was on rails with the same characteristics as the F-1. Car would take a set and hold it or you could throttle up and induce a lurid on power slide around the big sweepers but very well mannered throughout. The USGT car was more of a handful. It last saw service in Nashville and was on the same set up. The 21.5 gave it enough additional punch to be a little unpredictable but manageable. It was able to take the left at the end of the back straight in a full tilt boogey with a beautiful 4 wheel on power drift toward the next left but is found a little additional side bite which made it hook a little more to the left and it caught the end of an unprotected pipe(no dots yet) which promptly incised the nose of the car through the bumper with the precision of a "deli" meat slicer and stopped when it reached the aluminum chassis. Essentially damage is cosmetic but it did end the trial.

Got some more photo's so lets see how many I can post today. Looks like three out of a dozen so not too shabby. I will see if I can add more in the next post .

As always, stay tuned
Attached Thumbnails Kannapolis Raceway Park-20171222_151325.jpg   Kannapolis Raceway Park-20171222_151336.jpg   Kannapolis Raceway Park-20171222_151415.jpg  
Old 12-23-2017, 04:25 AM
Tech Master

Lets see if we can get a few more of the pictures in this morning. Limited success. Seems to be very size sensitive and bigger isn't always better she says but we all know she lies. Sometimes.

If anybody sees something in the photo's that have been posted and wants or needs questions answered please, don't hesitate to ask.
Attached Thumbnails Kannapolis Raceway Park-20171222_152158.jpg   Kannapolis Raceway Park-20171222_152246.jpg   Kannapolis Raceway Park-20171222_152251.jpg   Kannapolis Raceway Park-20171222_152305.jpg   Kannapolis Raceway Park-20171222_152332.jpg  

Old 12-23-2017, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

Just spoke with Corey at the Hobby Connection. They will be having a little impromptu gathering on the 6th of January but will not have their official schedule ready until March. That being said we will go with our open house on January 6, 2018 from 12 to 4 weather permitting. We invite everybody with an ON ROAD RC car in 1/18 and larger that is hobby grade to come on out for a little meet and greet and some track time. We will do our best to help you evaluate what you have and make suggestions on how to improve or maintain your investment. Again, ON ROAD vehicles only. If you show up with something that has been in the dirt we will help you with tips for thorough cleaning but it won't go on the track on the 6th.

We hope to be able to supply a list of sources for all your RC needs along with tips and guidance on how to best utilize your RC budget.

On January 20th we will host our official opening. The classes for that day will be USGT, VTA and F-1. Entry fees will be $15 for the first class, $10 for the second and $5 for the third. Sorry but no checks, credit or debit cards. Maybe after we get up and running we can make those arrangements. Gates open at 10:00 starting times should be 11:30 with hopes of being done by 4:30. All of this is of course contingent on reasonable weather. Remember to start we are tailgating it. No electricity available so plan accordingly.
scirocco14 likes this.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:24 PM
Tech Master

Forgot to mention that on Sunday January 7, the day after the grand opening we will run an Oval program for our local 1/16 late models and see if we can get a few guy's from Mill Hill Stadium to stop by and run with us.

Nothing happened at the track today. Probably nothing tomorrow either but back at it on Tuesday though. I did cut some splines to make rail sections longer than 16 feet for the few places we need them.

Best wishes to all for Christmas and the coming year and as always, stay tuned.
NutDriver likes this.
Old 12-26-2017, 04:22 AM
Tech Master

Am not sure what today will bring as I am way under the weather. That's what I get for getting a Flu shot. I guess I will continue with press releases and advertising proposals between naps and trips to the throne room.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Take it easy, Mike. Get better.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:33 PM
Tech Master

We made it back out to the track today and got some clean up done and finished the pivot pieces the will change the oval to a road course as well as vary the oval to the shorter one. Still a few cosmetic things to handle but with temperatures cold enough to freeze the balls off of a brass monkey it makes it difficult to stay on task. Did work out some cable measurements for placement of the timing bridge and computer. The additional bridge sensors should be in on Friday with the dots right behind them. With only 8 days to the soft opening it is going to be a tad hectic but we will do our best to have everything looking spiffy for those that can make it out.

Until then, stay tuned.
NutDriver likes this.

Last edited by mleemor60; 12-27-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:23 AM
Tech Master

With a projected high today in the mid 30's there probably won't be much going on at the track but there are always administrative things to handle. Sending all the electronic parts of the timing system back to I-lap to have everything updated to the latest firmware so it will match the newer model sensors and transponders. That way the only timing issues will be operator error. Truthfully I'm a little nervous.

I mentioned it in an earlier post but if anyone wants to get ahead of the curve on getting a transponder(s) please contact me here so I can get the list started. Also, if you think that a supplier should be added to our rookie hand out list please send me a PM with the information.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:53 PM
Tech Master

We did make it out today at about 3 when the temperature had just cracked 30. We quickly laid out and cut patterns for some work to be done and beat a hasty retreat to a heated area. At least now I can transfer the patterns to the finish material and have them ready for a warmer day.

Since we haven't posted any of the info that will be on our handout just PM me anyone that you think should be on it with a good link. Thanks.

Geez, I hate global warming.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 2.14 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.