Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Canadian R/C Scene
Overgeared Racing 2017/18 Winter Season - Vancouver Indoor Onroad >

Overgeared Racing 2017/18 Winter Season - Vancouver Indoor Onroad

Like Tree20Likes

Overgeared Racing 2017/18 Winter Season - Vancouver Indoor Onroad

Old 04-08-2018, 07:35 PM
Tech Regular

We have secured the gym at the church for an extra couple hours following the final race on April 28th . We’re going to have a general meeting to discuss the rules package for the upcoming 2018/19 indoor season. We also want to invite racers to bring any gear they would like to sell or trade for a swap meet style gathering after racing. If anyone is interested we could also order pizza or takeout as part of our end of season.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Looking to get into racing anyone have a cheap lipo I can borrow for the day or one for purchase? Also, need touring car body anything will work. Help me out so I can make my first race
Old 04-11-2018, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PaulWa11 View Post
Looking to get into racing anyone have a cheap lipo I can borrow for the day or one for purchase? Also, need touring car body anything will work. Help me out so I can make my first race
what car and class are you running? do you need 4/5mm bullets or a deans plug?
I should have what you need.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:02 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by R3VoLuTiOn View Post
what car and class are you running? do you need 4/5mm bullets or a deans plug?
I should have what you need.
Just posted on FB page... Awesomatix A700 and a 4mm plug on the battery
Old 04-11-2018, 06:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks All, yes from the ESC its deans then plugs into 4mm bullets so either or would work - Willing to pay for something cheap just looking to get into on-road to race for the first time. Also, looking for a touring car body nothing fancy just a basher for the day.

Appreciate any help!
Old 04-11-2018, 08:33 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by PaulWa11 View Post
Thanks All, yes from the ESC its deans then plugs into 4mm bullets so either or would work - Willing to pay for something cheap just looking to get into on-road to race for the first time. Also, looking for a touring car body nothing fancy just a basher for the day.
Appreciate any help!
I'll bring a spare lipo you can use. If no-one ponies up a body, Gripworks will likely have some trackside and with a quick spray of paint out on the street, you will be all set.
PaulWa11 likes this.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default April 14th club race

Hello everyone,

Another great day of racing from everyone. Good to see Mike and Korey.H aka Sushi boy came to play with us.
Attached are the results. Last race will be on April 28th. See all of you soon.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
R4_Race_03_NOVICE_A-Main.pdf (30.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: pdf
Old 04-15-2018, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Default April 14th con't

Here's more results..
Attached Files
Old 04-16-2018, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Mains Videos Uploaded: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...5wiDeOykVCDEHZ

Scroll to the bottom
Limborghini likes this.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:57 PM
Tech Adept

Hey Everyone: Just 36 hours plus 3 rounds of qualifying and then the final OGR Winter 17/18 season Mains will begin. Hoping everyone can make it out one last time before we roll up the carpet for the summer.

Points to date are available in the usual spot (HERE) for your viewing pleasure. I won't bother trying to analyse them this time -- if you haven't figured it out by now, my past "points posts" haven't really been particularly inciteful, serious, or even accurate.

But this being the last race, I'll try ''serious'' for just a moment. Throwouts and bonus points should be calculated in at the end of it all and it will be interesting to see how rcpointsmanager does the final sort. There are some that need to "go for broke" in order to get to the top three, and some that absolutely cannot afford a DNF or they will fall out of contention. One point either way can make the difference.

Doors will be open at 6:00am, as usual. The faster the track goes up (read: the more help we have) the more time you'll have to dial in for one last personal best, podium, or championship. Good Luck to everyone, and don't forget what Tiny said:

Originally Posted by Tiny.24 View Post
We have secured the gym at the church for an extra couple hours following the final race on April 28th . We’re going to have a general meeting to discuss the rules package for the upcoming 2018/19 indoor season. We also want to invite racers to bring any gear they would like to sell or trade for a swap meet style gathering after racing. If anyone is interested we could also order pizza or takeout as part of our end of season.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:27 PM
Tech Elite

Default April 28th Final Club race

Thought I post this right away before I fall asleep.
Attached are the results..great racing and a lot of fun.
Hats off to all that had committed this winter season racing.
I'll wait for V-point, the honors to do a write up.
Attached Files
Old 04-28-2018, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

Default April 28 Con't

More results..
Attached Files
Old 04-30-2018, 11:11 PM
Tech Adept

Default Final Points Standings

That's it. Stick a Fork in it -- it's done. The 17/18 Winter season is over. Round 13, the final race-day of the year, went off as planned scheduled on April 28th. The morning started off quietly as the track was being built while drizzling rain made sure racers weren't going to stay home to plant begonias. By the time registration was closed a total of 57 entries were loaded into the timing and scoring computer.

But something, some... thing... I don't know what it was, but it was there... in the air, perhaps? Some...thing, that was affecting people. Making them laugh just a little too loud. Or too quietly. Attention was scattered -- RD's couldn't even herd the kittens together for the usual Driver's Meeting. It affected me too. And I saw, with my own eyes, that more than one driver was wearing their nerves raw as they thought about what they needed to meet their private (and sometimes, not-so-private) objectives for the day. We're talking about the final points standings, here.
Yeah, so speaking of points, they are all tallied up now, BUT before you go rushing off to rcpointsmanager.com to see how you did, let me explain a couple things. 1) Either rcpointsmanager isn't doing something right (possible, I suppose) or, 2) I screwed something up when I set up the series (more likely, methinks). Anyways, I thought I had set it up so that if you raced "all" the races, you would get 10 valuable bonus points. After all, a guy who comes out for every race deserves something, right? And the way it is supposed to work is, well let's see: There was 13 races, 3 throw-outs, and 1 race-day got cancelled. So, if you take 13, subtract 3 for throw-outs, and then subtract another 1 for the cancelled race, it means that if you score points in 9 races, you get the bonus points. Easy, right? But rcpointsmanager didn't assign any bonus points, and I'm not sure why. I'll email them when I get a chance. In the meantime, though, I created a 10-point "VARA-bonus" category, and I used a spreadsheet to calculate who was eligible for the bonus points. If you were eleigible, you will see that it is added to the LAST RACE in any class that you ran in. Just hover your little mousie -thing over the blue-coloured points in that race. So, in effect, the bonus points have been calculated in, though maybe not the way you (or I) were expecting. Ok, then? Good. I'm so glad you agree. Let's move on, then, shall we?

I have it on good authority that the videos of the day's racing are either posted already, or going through post-production editting (to take out my cuss words, I think) and will be posted shortly. Therefore, I will forego any attempt at play-by-play and let you enjoy them at your own leisure. Instead, I want to cut right to the chase and congratulate our SERIES POINTS WINNERS:

NOVICE:
We're happy to acknowledge our new racers this year. These guys put in a lot of effort and the rest of us could see them improving day by day.

Chris Johnson accumulated 36 points over three races to claim 3rd PLACE in this class.

Billy Tam scored 69 points over 7 races to net him 2nd PLACE.

Gary Lau kept a smile on his face the entire season, collected 74 points over 7 races, and that is why we are declaring him the 1st PLACE Novice Series Champion.

EURO-TRUCK:
Euro truck started off strongly, but the field atrophied and only ran 7 series races before the number of entries fell below the requisite minimum of 4. Nevertheless, we acknowledge 3rd PLACE finisher Dave Lima, 2nd PLACE finisher Stephen Yoshida, and declare John "JT" Tsang to be the 1st PLACE Euro-Truck Series Champion.

12th STOCK:
John "JT"Tsang was up and down in this class, opting not to run various heats on several occasions, which saved him tires, but cost him points. Nevertheless, 10 bonus points at the end put him in 3rd PLACE.

"Fast" Eddie Dinter wasn't fast to begin the season, netting mostly fourth-place finishes, but somewhere in the latter portion of the season he discovered something that started earning him top threes, and at the end of the day, after factoring in 10 bonus points, he is our SECOND PLACE finisher.

Ed Mardones was this year's creme du la 12th-scale creme, scoring four 1sts, three 2nds, and a 3rd (just to see what it felt like). He also earned his 10 bonus points. Ed is the FIRST PLACE 12th-Stock Series Champion.

FORMULA 1:
This class had bit of a tough go getting the requisite number of cars to run, but ended up very strongly and provided a lot of good racing and a very tight points race. However, only Ed Mardones and Rami Shahin were awarded bonus points in this class, and....

Chris Lim must settle for 3rd PLACE overall. That's nothing to sneeze at, but I don't want to be around him when he finds out that he gave up a 2nd place finish by not racing enough races to earn his bonus points.

Rami Shahin did collect those bonus points, and that is why he is our 2nd PLACE series points finisher.

Top honours go to Ed Mardones, who raced every possible race in this class and always put solid performances, often schooling the rest of the field in proper F1 handling. Ed is the FORMULA 1 Series Champion.

BIG BLOCK SCALE SPEC:
Alex Mardones went into Round 13 sitting in second place, but he knew that other drivers had used up their throw-outs while he still had one more to go. That meant he needed to podium in order to make the top three. Fast all year, Alex nevertheless brought his A-game to the track on this day and went faster each round. In the A-Main, he started second after losing TQ to Scale-Spec Titan "Tiny" Welch. Alas, a first-lap incident dropped Alex like a stone to 8th place, but he got the bridle between his teeth and worked his way up lap by lap. Meanwhile, an uncharacteristic mishap for Tiny put him put of contention on about lap 12, and Alex just kept on a-coming. With under a minute to go, he took over the lead and never relinquished it, giving him, I think, his first A-Main Scale-Spec victory with OGR. That podium finish was exactly what Alex Mardones needed to secure 3rd PLACE in the series points race.

Jason Lee commented several times through-out the year that his scale-spec car just didn't seem as fast as "the fast guys". Nevertheless, he accumulated 99 points to claim 2nd PLACE in the series points race.

Despite missing three of the first four races in this division, Ryan "Tiny" Welch nevertheless took his dialed-in car to new heights, working his way around slower cars, and battling other fast cars for TQ, the win, and maximum points scored each day. Ryan "Tiny" Welch is our 1st PLACE Scale-Spec Series Champion with 121 points.

TOURING STOCK:
Competition in Touring Stock is a little tougher; when you look at the heat sheets, you see 4 or 5 cars within 1 second of each other, and this happens throughout the entire season. Not surprisingly, this clustering phenomena transfers directly into the points scores with the top ten drivers in this class separated by only 15 points.
Edmond Lee and Keith Yu both scored a total of 94 points. Quoting from the points rules posted some pages back,
"In the event of a tie, the highest points acquired in the throw-outs will be used, then the next highest throw-out points, then the last throw-out points. If a tie still exists, then highest qualifying positions will be looked at, then next highest, etc. until the tie is broken.
Edmond missed two Rounds scored 1 point in Round 8, while Keith missed 4 Rounds. So, adding "1" (Edmond's highest-scored throw-out) gives him 95 points, while adding "0" (Keith's highest scoring throw-out) keeps him at 94. therefore, we declare Edmond Lee to be the 3rd PLACE Touring Stock Series finisher.

"Fast" Eddie Dinter and Ryan "Tiny" Welch battled the entire season in this class. "Fast" Eddie accumulated 100 points, which was incredibly close to netting him a championship, but he will have to settle for being the 2nd PLACE Touring Stock Series winner.

Ryan "Tiny" Welch secured 101 points to edge out "Fast"Eddie and so Tiny has earned a hard-fought 1st PLACE Touring Stock Series Championship.

TOURING MOD:
Touring Mod provided plenty of fast action and great driving with about 6 regular drivers and another 8 or so part-timers contributing to the series.

Ed Mardones practiced consistency and clean lines and it paid off for him. Ed is our 3rd PLACE Touring Mod Series Finisher.

John "JT" Tsang was always fast. He collected 114 points to claim the 2nd PLACE in the Touring Mod Series points race.

Logan Ruck rarely put a wheel wrong and drove with incredible intensity, focus, and discipline. Logan is our 1st PLACE Touring Mod Series Champion.
-
-
CONGRATULATIONS to all our our Points Series Podium Racers and Champions.
--
-
--
Well, that's my brief report regarding the points and how it all ended up. We tried something new this year as far as the points went, and although it was a bit unusual, I think the results were consistent with many other points formats and the mid-season was tight and variable enough that there were a number of positional changes. The OGR board will be doing more analysis and we'll see if we can't take some lessons learned from this and apply them for next year.

-*******************************************-
Some observations about the 17/18 Winter season at OGR:

We ran C-Mains in TC Stock five times this year, four of those occurred on the last four races of the season. I think that is great, even exceptional.

664 official entries is our total this year- a record unbeaten back through 2013, the first year I have stats for. This exceeds last year by 115 entries. Unofficially, there were over 670 entries this year since there was a few times when we ran a class with less than four cars, which doesn't contribute to official total.

Average number of entries per race-day was officially 55.4, again, a record.

Also worth mentioning: we got through our first year without, to the best of my knowledge, a single tear in the new black carpet. Thank you everyone for your efforts to maintain proper ride height and keep those chassis screws tight.

Finally, on behalf of the entire Overgeared Board, I would like to thank everyone who stayed after the day's racing to sit and talk about possible changes for next year. We heard your opinions and will be taking all of your input into consideration as we try to sort things out. We are aiming for some firm decisions by the late June/early July time-frame.

For now the track and carpet will take a well-deserved break for the summer, but OGR will be back in action this September -- details TBA. Hoping to see you out on the asphalt track with our friends at Ready To Run Raceway this summer, but either way, I wish you and yours a great summer.

Cheers Everyone,

-Doug
eevul and Tiny.24 like this.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Awesome write up Doug! Keep up the good words! And again, congratulations to all the winners. It was a great year and as a father watching his son improve at every race just brings joy to my heart. I was considering running Scale Spec next year but I'm having second thoughts as I don't want to lose to Ethan and Alex M . I have a lot to think about through the summer months
Old 05-01-2018, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Mains Videos Updated:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...5wiDeOykVCDEHZ

Sorry Scale Spec A Main, race was cut off due to full sd card