Search
Like Tree1Likes

HobbyKing & Lipos

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 12:15 PM
Tech Addict

Default HobbyKing & Lipos

how long does it take to get lipos from hobby king. is there any extra duties?
Old 01-12-2017, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

They come via courier and usually arrive within a week. However there are "brokerage fees" from the courier. These can really add up.

If you can self broker your package (see a thread here) the its reasonable.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Akhor
They come via courier and usually arrive within a week. However there are "brokerage fees" from the courier. These can really add up.

If you can self broker your package (see a thread here) the its reasonable.
Consider bego racing out of Quebec. They sell smc packs which people are really liking. After you factor the exchange on hobby king, plus $40 fed ex shipping, plus $35 brokerage, the smc packs are cheaper and support a Canadian company. I priced out touring car and 1/8 buggy packs and bego was cheaper and higher mah for both. Just a thought.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

http://begoracing.com/
Old 01-12-2017, 08:20 PM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

Lipos from hobbyking ship the next day and arrive in 21hours after shipping from the international warehouse via $26 fedex priority shipping. I've ordered from hobbyking ~40 times.
I've also ordered 5 smc lipos from bego with mixed results. 3 are very puffed, and 3 have barrels that are smaller than 4mm so that my bullet connectors wouldn't fit. Performance has been good though. My smc lipos were always stored at proper storage voltage and not used on anything hotter than a 17.5t either.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:23 PM
Tech Addict

what 21 hours.....you mean days?
Old 01-13-2017, 12:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I made the mistake of buying a Lipo from hobbyking, when all was said and done I paid $110 bucks for their '$37' lipo.
Could have spent the same or less at my LHS and had it within a few days rather than the 2 weeks it took.
In the future support your LHS if you can, a good shop will charge you whatever Amain or Tower is selling it for with just the US exchange rate added, that's what my LHS does
Old 01-13-2017, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Ive had nothing but good experience dealing with HobbyKing. FedEx has been the faster route, usually and get the item within 24 hours of the ship date. Thats HOURS, not days. UPS is slightly longer, but those have been hampered by weather usually, but still 4 - 5 days. Post is a little longer about 2 weeks.

You should also be aware that all the couriers above have now re-accessed their charges for processing packages, so above the normal taxes applied, most of the places now charge a lot less than they used to. DHL was like 9 dollars and UPS and FedEx where 10 dollars, instead of the usual flat 50 they used to charge.

Ive also had one HK battery go bad, and filed a claim with them via the chat line and the issue was resolved within a couple of hours with a new battery being sent out the next day. If you follow their set policies everything works very smoothly.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by elecsual
Consider bego racing out of Quebec. They sell smc packs which people are really liking. After you factor the exchange on hobby king, plus $40 fed ex shipping, plus $35 brokerage, the smc packs are cheaper and support a Canadian company. I priced out touring car and 1/8 buggy packs and bego was cheaper and higher mah for both. Just a thought.
I've had SMC packs before, they perform well, BUT, every pack I've had rounded out. They still work properly but when your dealing with cars that have minimal clearance between the top deck and the chassis, sometimes you can't fit the rounded battery in the car anymore. When your tapping your pack in and it doesn't sit flat, you can also induce chassis tweak as well. I treat all my batteries the same and the SMC are the only ones that have done this. It also is of concern that SMCs newest battery also has a claimer that says that some rounding may occur, this just makes me stay away from that product, why take the chance?
THEBIGBULL likes this.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:49 AM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TeamThibault
what 21 hours.....you mean days?
Hours. It is quite amazing.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:12 AM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

Oh, i should mention that i do support my local shops, as well as other Canadian shops that support the Canadian R/C scene. If i can buy what i need locally or within Canada, i will. I'm on my way to both of my local LHS' s today to buy a protek lipo, bittydesigns stuff, and spaz stix paint. At $139, the Protek lipo isn't cheap, so it is definitely alluring to order lipos from hobbyking, but the turnigy graphene lipo weighs 286g, and the protek 6300hv weighs an advertised 270g. The battery side of my car is 16g heavier than the electronics side, and the car is 17g overweight, so the protek should take care of both issues.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

When I first started off I thought buying hobbyking packs was an awesome deal. They took about a month to get here. But of the 6 packs I ordered 3 where 5s and the rest 2s. They all puffed within 6 months. Just don't do it save your money and get some orion packs. You definitely won't regret it. As for bego, I msg then about some packs about 2 months ago and it took 3 weeks for me to get a reply. I personally wouldn't deal with them just based on that issue.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TeamThibault
how long does it take to get lipos from hobby king. is there any extra duties?
I always use FedEx 3-7 days and it's exactly that. My last three orders have come within the week.

If you order more than a certain weight of LiPos the shipment gets labelled "dangerous goods" and the shipping charges increase but it doesn't take any longer.

Upon delivery you will have to pay taxes, duty and brokerage charges. I get a phone call from FedEx the day before and I just pay it over the phone via credit card. At this point I will also tell them that I want the package to be safe dropped in case I'm not home.

Sean
Old 01-16-2017, 05:26 PM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

I paid $13.xx in brokerage to fedex the last 4 times i ordered from hobbyking. I have another package that should arrive tomorrow or Wednesday. I'll post what the brokerage fees are. Shipping cost was $23 for 2 lipos and a handful of other misc items for fedex priority shipping. Not bad.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Turnigy lipos are rubbish.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.