Winnipeg Indoor On-Road Carpet Racing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 10:04 PM
Tech Regular

Default Winnipeg Indoor On-Road Carpet Racing

****** Go to post #74 for updated location info ******

Carpet racing is on!

Just spreading the news that we've secured a location for indoor on-road carpet racing this year in Winnipeg, MB. We値l be located at 61 Juno St. (Notre Dame / Balmoral area) and have a large portion of the second floor dedicated to us. There is great lighting, tons of pit space, good heat, elevator access and possibly a few booze cans within walking distance......... . All kidding aside, we池e just excited to have a place to play toy cars in.

We池e running an AMB / RC Scoring Pro timing system that supports AMB / MyLaps and MRT PTX personal transponders. Depending on the need, we will try to make a few loaner transponders available to folks who are just starting out or getting back into racing.

We are hoping to have everything setup and in place so we can start our season on November 4th (Sunday) and will be open every Friday (6PM start for Practice) and Sunday (Racing starts @ 10:00 AM) from that point forward hopefully until the end of March and possibly beyond. Depending on interest, we may include a few specialty Friday night races or the occasional Wednesday night too.

Now for the million dollar question.... how much is all this fun gonna cost....??? There will be a one time $25 track fee for everyone, these funds will go towards the reams of duct tape, paper towels and fancy toilet paper we値l burn through as well as helping cover other costs associated with the track.

Friday night practice is $10, Sunday racing will be $20 for the first class and $5 for each additional class.

We're going to follow R.O.A.R guidelines regarding race length, weight limits and ride height. These are the classes we are proposing but will add / remove based on what people are interested in.
  • VTA
  • Formula 1
  • Sedan Stock (17.5 or 13.5 Blinky, TBD)
  • Sedan Open
  • 12th scale Stock (17.5 or 13.5 Blinky, TBD)
  • 12th scale Open
  • Tamiya Mini..... ???
We致e been working hard to get this setup and are gearing up to make things operate as smoothly and enjoyably as possible. There will be the occasional snag and we値l work through them as they come up..... with a little help from our friends.

See you at the track.....

Last edited by damage; 10-25-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:23 PM
Tech Master

Awesome can't wait to see the place
Old 09-29-2012, 08:35 AM
xc7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Congrats on securing a location boys!

This is going to be a fun winter season....
Old 09-29-2012, 08:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xc7
Congrats on securing a location boys!

This is going to be a fun winter season....
This is going to be a great winter season. We have a bunch of guys coming back to racing that raced with us a few years ago. It's going to be like the old days.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Great to see a date prices and classes on the first post!

You know I'm in!
Fresh off my first time attending the IIC.
Still just sayin

Looks like I'm buying a 5.0 turn.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

13.5 1/12th ..this was my favorite to race when I did race
Old 09-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by damage
...We're going to follow R.O.A.R guidelines regarding race length, weight limits and ride height. These are the classes we are proposing but will add / remove based on what people are interested in.
Are you running true VTA rules for the VTA class? The choice is yours, but just to let you know, those of us in Winnipeg who were racing VTA, were runnning the old 21.5 rules. (Current rules can be found below) We should get this clarified now, to give us a chance to buy different equipment if needed.

http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rules/index.html
Old 09-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thistle
Are you running true VTA rules for the VTA class? The choice is yours, but just to let you know, those of us in Winnipeg who were racing VTA, were runnning the old 21.5 rules. (Current rules can be found below) We should get this clarified now, to give us a chance to buy different equipment if needed.

Good point Stu. Those rules are a bit difficult to use. Well continue with 21.5 and any Speedo as long as it has a roar approved blinky mode.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Thistle

Stu, whatever you and the VTA guys want is what will be run. You guys can discuss and decide what works best. We are really flexible, race length, weight and ride height are the big focus for us.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

LOL, I could run a VTA car with a 5.5T and still lose.....

I have a VTA chassis with a 27T brushed motor for now.....waiting on AE to replace my SXX...then I have a 21.5 that I can put in there......

Or I can keep my 21.5 in F1....I don't really care..... Maybe I can get another one.....

I'm in for VTA and F1. Maybe not both every time I come out....but the prices are definately within the realms to keep my wallet empty through the winter..... Nice thing is, I don't think I need to buy ANYTHING to get 1 class racing.....might need a gently used motor to get them both going....

Or I could run a 17.5 in one and turn the endpoint down to the point where I have the same speed?

Oh, and btw....SUBSCRIBED!

You guys need a name....

Last edited by BlueGlowBoy; 09-29-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default VTA

I like last years rules i do not have to buy anything then.Glad you guys are doing this,winter would suck without R/C,NOW how about NITRO Warren
Old 10-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by damage
Stu, whatever you and the VTA guys want is what will be run. You guys can discuss and decide what works best. We are really flexible, race length, weight and ride height are the big focus for us.
Well then, we should get the conversation started.
Here (I believe) are the rules we have used in the past. Does anyone have suggestions for changes?

Body: Late '60s to early '70s American pony car Vintage Trans-Am bodies.It is highly preferred that bodies are detailed in race type livery in period-correct paint schemes. Fluorescent colors, wild graphics, chromes and non-period correct paint schemes are frowned upon.

Wings or Spoilers: Body provided deck lid spoilers allowed (not wings). No additional skirts or raised/extended wings or air control surfaces allowed. Body must be trimmed at body trim lines. Full rear bumper required. All cars must have a number on the hood, both doors and trunk lid. Wheel covers of any type are NOT allowed.
*Note* For the (3) HPI Mustangs which are not provided with a spoiler: (i.e. 17508, 17519 and 104926)
A lexan spoiler of 16mm total height from trunk deck, and overall chord of 20mm is allowable. All other bodies must use the spoiler included with that specific body set. Built in spoilers may not be enhanced.

Tires & Wheels: The only tires allowed are HPI tire part #4793 "front" and #4797 "rear", using stock tire inserts provided with tire and any HPI Vintage wheels designed to fit these tires. All other tires and/or part numbers are illegal. Wheels and tires designated as "front" must be used as front tires/wheels, "rear" wheels/tires must used as rears. Five or Eight spoke wheels available in various colors. 0mm offset front wheels and 6mm offset rear wheels are intended for 26mm width fronts and 31mm width rear tires. 8-spoke Vintage wheels from #3805 through #3814, 5-spoke Vintage wheels from #3815 through #3822 and Vintage stock car wheels from #3854 through #3860, Vintage Wheel CC Type #33472 and #33473, Vintage Wheel DTP Type #33474 and #33475 are all legal wheels.
Grinding of tire tread is NOT permitted. Sanding of mold seam to remove seam is allowed. HPI Vintage Slicks and HPI Vintage Performance Tires are not allowed. Tire traction compounds are at the discretion of the track. No other altering, changing or softening of the tire is allowed. No "double stuffing" of foam inserts allowed—only single stock vintage tire inserts are allowed

Battery: Battery must be a 2-cell (7.4V) LiPo hard cased, No mah limit.

Motor: Any brand of sensored brushless motor, rated at 21.5 turns. Motor timing can be adjusted.

Gearing: A final drive ratio (FDR) of 4.2 or higher is allowed. (Motor makes 4.2 revolutions or higher, to spin the tires 1 revolution)

ESC: Any brand of ESC that either has no built-in timing advance functions, or has a "blinky mode" to turn the timing advance functions off.

Ride height: 5mm or higher

Weight: Minimum 1450g in race-ready trim.

Last edited by Thistle; 10-10-2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: revised rules.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:30 AM
Tech Addict

Note: Technically the '67 Corvette Stingray does not fall under the American pony car category, though we allowed a few people to run it. I'm voting we treat it as a "frowned upon" body. (Don't turn the person away, just let them know that it doesn't fall within the intended spirit of the class.)
Old 10-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

dang....I have a perfectly good Cuda body, I just can't find it's rear bumper!

Can I race it with you guys, and if I ever start being "not last" then I'll have to get a different body? Just trying to keep my costs down for right now....I have everything else that I would need for this. Tires, 21.5, blinky, battery.....it's just the rear bumper that I might need....
Old 10-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Tech Addict

Missing the rear bumper? How'd you manage that? LOL
We won't turn anybody away, so you don't need to worry about that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.