Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Canadian R/C Scene
silver can vs cta can silver can keep up? >

silver can vs cta can silver can keep up?

silver can vs cta can silver can keep up?

Old 01-01-2016, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default silver can vs cta can silver can keep up?

I am thinking of setting up a gt car to take to Victoria, I keep getting told there is no point the silver can can't compete. does anyone run silver can and how do they fair with the cta car?
Old 01-01-2016, 03:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Well I raced against some silver cans last year and they seemed to do pretty good. I think keeping it as light weight as possible would be the most important thing though. In the end the brushless motor still has more torque. So you got to be a pretty good driver to compete with the top 5 guys. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I did it last year. It was fun. I'm faster with my 21.5 brushless. But in CTA, speed and handling seem to be secondary to rubbing and bumping. You get to run any body you want as well, if you decide to go silvercan.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've been on the podium several times in the CTA class at the WCICS races and I don't believe a silver can has ever been up there with me. I was using an old Novak Ballistic, and the silver cans still couldn't compete. Dale was the fastest racer that I knew was running silver can, but he's since switched to brushless, and I believe he has finished top 3 a few times this year.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snopro31 View Post
I am thinking of setting up a gt car to take to Victoria, I keep getting told there is no point the silver can can't compete. does anyone run silver can and how do they fair with the cta car?
in the old days, with fixed end-bell 21.5 motors, the answer was a resounding yes. The Langley family were very competitive with silver can powered cars in the first couple of years we ran combined GT/CTA at WCICS.

With the last few releases of 21.5 motors, the silver can unfortunately has no chance.

The best I have been able to do is with a sub 1000g ready-to-race FF03 evo on Sorex 28's, that will dominate my CTA car in corner speed, but can't quite keep up in overall lap time, even giving up 400g+ in weight.

Maybe a 1000g TC car might stand a chance, but I haven't been successful getting one down to that weight. Even then, expect to go through a few silver cans to find a decent performer, break it in correctly, and then burn it up in a few heats due to the low FDR gearing requirements to keep up on the straights.

It is a true engineering challenge - I wish you luck.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:55 PM
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snopro31 View Post
I know for sure like everyone is saying is right ...No the silver cant keep up with the 21.5 period...The only way the silver can keep up with the 21.5 is to fixed gearing .which is 4.2 FDR ...
25.5 can be beat by silver can ,as long they aren't cranking up the bell end timing...
the 21.5 it has more top end speed.....in the infield the silver and 21.5 very close the same

Last edited by OVA; 01-05-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:06 PM
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hprt View Post
in the old days, with fixed end-bell 21.5 motors, the answer was a resounding yes. The Langley family were very competitive with silver can powered cars in the first couple of years we ran combined GT/CTA at WCICS.

With the last few releases of 21.5 motors, the silver can unfortunately has no chance.

The best I have been able to do is with a sub 1000g ready-to-race FF03 evo on Sorex 28's, that will dominate my CTA car in corner speed, but can't quite keep up in overall lap time, even giving up 400g+ in weight.

Maybe a 1000g TC car might stand a chance, but I haven't been successful getting one down to that weight. Even then, expect to go through a few silver cans to find a decent performer, break it in correctly, and then burn it up in a few heats due to the low FDR gearing requirements to keep up on the straights.

It is a true engineering challenge - I wish you luck.
I thought about this ..... getting down to 1200gm is not a problem ,you don't want to get hit by the 1450 gm TC . it would to hard to keep your car on the track...
I thought was the WGTR rubber tires PAN CAR
Old 11-05-2016, 04:22 PM
Tech Addict

has any one ran wgt-r in gt class yet?
Old 11-06-2016, 04:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamThibault View Post
has any one ran wgt-r in gt class yet?
Phil did it 2 weeks ago with a silver can. Was fun to watch.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:39 AM
Tech Master

Ian Brooks at Nascar ran a WGT-r with a silver can against the USGT cars and was competitive. Shocked the hell out of me when he did it.