New Track Terrace BC!!!!

Old 03-08-2016, 05:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Default New Track Terrace BC!!!!

Late last season we received a 5 year permit to build a track at the local community grounds . We used a 5ton flat deck for a drivers stand for a couple race events , while it worked it wasn't very safe and not quite tall enough. Lucky for us we have had lots of community support and have been approved for 15k in grants which is going to build our drivers stand on top of a shipping container, timing booth inside the container and LiveTime/ mylaps timing system!

So the theme for the season is to get setup and promote the club, the track is in a high exposure area , horse events , carnival , fall fair but I'm looking for some ideas to help get people involved to our new recreation. Some sort of invitational event?
Thanks ,Rod

Id Post a picture but I'm not allowed....
Old 03-08-2016, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Have a thesis/purpose, and then setup some realistic objectives (short term/long term), as well as infrastructure. A mission statement will help people stay focused.

Seen too many situations where the land is found/granted, and the club loses sight of the goal or fizzles out due to lack of organization or deviation from the original thesis.

Good luck to you.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by (0000000000)
Have a thesis/purpose, and then setup some realistic objectives (short term/long term), as well as infrastructure. A mission statement will help people stay focused.

Seen too many situations where the land is found/granted, and the club loses sight of the goal or fizzles out due to lack of organization or deviation from the original thesis.

Good luck to you.
^^^ What he said!
Old 03-13-2016, 10:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the insight, will be focusing on this as it makes sense. Theres always seems to be the concern on how many members we have when really I think we just focus on having fun and see where that gets us.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

Don't make a decision based on emotions.

Base the decision on what to do with the land, on experience and information you have attained. Attend and visit race tracks in kelowna, kamloops, castlegar, even washington state or calgary. To know how to operate a race track, attend a few races (actually register and compete).

Making a "legit" race track might not be something you are willing to invest time and effort in, once you see first hand what goes into building/maintaining/supporting it. Better that you and a bunch of friends go to a few races and then decide not to build one, versus wasted efforts on building a half-ass track and then having the core guys lose interest. On the flip side, you may be able to reinforce your idea of building a track, and be much better prepared to build it properly, after attending a few races and forging a few connections.

Realistically, it is already mid-march, so I don't see any actual ground being broken this summer for you. Start planning to attend a few races and then in the fall of 2016, get the ball rolling.

- soil tests
- city bylaw compliance
- drainage
- marketing/recruitment/target clientele
- budgets and appropriation of funds
- generation of required funds
- PR and progress reports to the city (the government can take the land back if it sees it not being used properly or sufficiently)
- insurance
- structure & professional image (because a newcomer will find it hard to take this serious if it's just a gaggle of guys drinking beer and smashing toy trucks)

You got a long road ahead. But you came to a good place to ask the right questions and get feedback from people who have been there and done that.

Good luck to you.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by (0000000000)
Don't make a decision based on emotions.

Base the decision on what to do with the land, on experience and information you have attained. Attend and visit race tracks in kelowna, kamloops, castlegar, even washington state or calgary. To know how to operate a race track, attend a few races (actually register and compete).

Making a "legit" race track might not be something you are willing to invest time and effort in, once you see first hand what goes into building/maintaining/supporting it. Better that you and a bunch of friends go to a few races and then decide not to build one, versus wasted efforts on building a half-ass track and then having the core guys lose interest. On the flip side, you may be able to reinforce your idea of building a track, and be much better prepared to build it properly, after attending a few races and forging a few connections.

Realistically, it is already mid-march, so I don't see any actual ground being broken this summer for you. Start planning to attend a few races and then in the fall of 2016, get the ball rolling.

- soil tests
- city bylaw compliance
- drainage
- marketing/recruitment/target clientele
- budgets and appropriation of funds
- generation of required funds
- PR and progress reports to the city (the government can take the land back if it sees it not being used properly or sufficiently)
- insurance
- structure & professional image (because a newcomer will find it hard to take this serious if it's just a gaggle of guys drinking beer and smashing toy trucks)

You got a long road ahead. But you came to a good place to ask the right questions and get feedback from people who have been there and done that.

Good luck to you.
We do already have a track, insurance , 5 year permit , 1 season racing backyard and this track and ended the season with 30 members, and a 15k grant but ya I haven't raced at any others than ours and if I make 2 more posts I could put up a picture lol
Old 03-13-2016, 09:32 PM
Tech Initiate

The track base is clay, we had it hauled in, lucky for us there is a sand layer beneath that we can get some good drainage, and it's necessary with the rain that comes at times
Old 03-13-2016, 09:44 PM
Tech Master

Nice work! Can't wait to see it.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Ah, 1 more!
Old 03-13-2016, 09:46 PM
Tech Initiate

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-13-2016, 10:08 PM
Tech Initiate

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-13-2016, 10:16 PM
Tech Initiate

The one picture with the big wood jump was a freestyle competition we had at the Fall Fair, was a hit. The fair donated $300 in prize money and was some quick cash or the entrants, we played some music for 3min and they had to put on the best show they could!
Old 03-13-2016, 10:24 PM
Tech Initiate

[IMG][/IMG]

Basically this is what we are building for a stand, waiting for a stamp from the engineer ( he is making sure its here to stay!)
Old 03-13-2016, 10:45 PM
Tech Adept

1stainless and I as well as a many others have only recently started our club as of last March. We have lots to learn about all the different aspects that go into making a racetrack and we are willing to take on those challenges. We have already come such a long way in organizing and showing our community what the hobby is all about.

It took a mere 2 weeks from the first hole we began to dig to where it was here:

We started the track in August 2015 and finished it at the end of the month. We have only had 2 events at the track due to being so late in the season so this is the year we are hoping to shine. Lots of interested people looking to take the plunge into the hobby, they just have't seen enough of it yet to really understand what is going on. We are on a fairground and lots of traffic goes through this area during certain times of the year which really highlights our efforts and makes it more fun for everyone.

We are not located in a major center and to be the only track within probably 1200km, I'd say we are already successful in what we have done. We won't stop there though, this year we will do everything in our power to make the track the best we can make it. Personally I have read many posts and articles about tracks in much larger U.S. cities that have closed for business. Keeping people engaged for the long run is one of the hardest parts.

Originally Posted by 1stainless
[IMG][/IMG]

Basically this is what we are building for a stand, waiting for a stamp from the engineer ( he is making sure its here to stay!)
Thanks for posting my model... I almost put it up twice!
Old 03-14-2016, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

A drivers stand with a roof? What a concept! And bleachers! Looks better then a lot of other tracks in BC right now! Great job

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.