Alberta Scale Spec

Old 05-11-2015, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

Default Alberta Scale Spec

Ok I have been asked about USGT for both club racing and running it at the Alberta Touring Series. I wanted a class that would allow CTA drivers to race their cars and the guys that wanted to run Newer scale bodies with Pre mount Tires. Since the ATS is a race for racers I want feedback on the rules. I combined rules of CTA and USGT and the Scale Spec class they run in the Pacific Northwest. One of the Biggest complaints I hear about CTA at the club level is the Tires (no premounts) and the old school bodies, I hope this class will fix that.

Ok here are the rules so far:

Alberta Scale Spec:

1/10th scale electric TC chassis. 5mm minimum ride height. 3mm for M-Chassis.

21.5 ROAR APPROVED motor. No restriction on endbell timing.

ROAR-approved Non-Timing ESC for brushless motors.

4wd and FWD TC: Chassis HPI D Compound tires (CTA Tires) or USGT Spec Tires.
2wd mini: Any m chassis tire
4wd mini: any treaded m-chassis tire (This may Change to a spec tire if the 4wd minis have an advantage).

Realistic, scale bodies must be run on all chassis (No current or previously approved Touring Car Bodies) . VTA style bodies may run included rear-deck spoilers. Scale Car bodies may run included wings, or option wing sets that emphasize scale appearance. No Daytona Prototype/LMP type cars, no cartoon mini bodies.

Maximum 6-cell NiMH or NiCd batteries or maximum 7.4v 2S lithium technology batteries (4.2v per cell MAX Voltage). Lithium technology batteries must be in hard case.

4wd: 1450g minimum weight.

FWD TC Chassis: No minimum weight (This may change if they have a clear advantage).

M-Chassis: (M03-M06 any 2wd M-Chassis or conversion): No minimum weight any gear set.

2wd M-Chassis: Open tire on Mini rims.

4wd M-Chassis must run TC Chassis rules but can run any treaded M-chassis tire

4 wheel independent suspension only no solid rear axle.

The spirit of Scale Spec is reasonable cost, scale-appearance, even, competitive racing. Scale livery is encouraged. Drivers are encouraged to operate both within the letter and spirit of the rules.

If the Race Director feels it is not in the spirit of the rules it is not allowed.

Please comment below.

Last edited by patorz31; 09-15-2015 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Updated M-Chassis Rule
Old 05-11-2015, 09:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)

My club runs a class very similar to what you propose with the following exceptions.

We allow for any rubber tires to be used, and locally the hot tires seem to be the Sorex 28R compound. Pre-mounts are sold by APS and Schumacher but racers can always buy and glue their own if they want.

We only allow 4wd 190mm sedan chassis, or FWD 190mm sedan chassis. No minis. Scale bodies only and painted appropriately with race numbers.

Otherwise, we use the same 21.5 blinky, 5mm ride height, 1450g minimum weight 4wd (lower for FWD), scale bodies & wings, etc...
Old 05-11-2015, 11:08 AM
Tech Master

Yeah i thought hard about the tires. Cta still run the hpi vintage tires, and the club in saskatoon runs cta and usgt together. The hpi tires are a tick faster they tell me but i think with more setup time they will be the same and the usgt tires are so cheap.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I like it. THIS is a class I would invest in.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:00 PM
Tech Master

For mini chasis I have heard good things about RW Racing's fast gear set. Machined actual Delrin, I was told that you can get down to 3.87:1 with it. I may order a few sets when I order my new spurs for the VBC that Neil is making for me.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

USGT rules sound good.
for 1/10 TC chassis 4WD or FWD. not to sure about the mini thing but that's just me.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

yep thats a good looking scale spec class - highest entries most nights for seattle and vancouver tracks.

hpi d compound vintage tires and x pattern tires seems to keep things balanced
Old 05-11-2015, 05:41 PM
Tech Master

Funny then how all the BC clubs voted against it at the WCICS vote...

Can't wait to try some new ASS.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Madulla View Post
Funny then how all the BC clubs voted against it at the WCICS vote...

Can't wait to try some new ASS.
It's too bad that Vancouver isn't part of WCICS. They do a lot of Scale Spec, and also do Nitro On Road in the summer.

I'll be making a few trips there this summer. Asphalt racing is fun
Old 05-23-2015, 06:41 AM
Dez
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

I think in Mini most guys run a lower ride height than 5mm. Since the chassis is tapered, the middle point of the chassis sits lower. I run that lowest point at about 3mm in the front. If we run the 5mm ride height we might face more traction rolling no matter how well set up the car is even with crazy glue on the tires. Thoughts?
Old 05-23-2015, 07:35 AM
Tech Master

Good point Dez will add to the rules.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I like it !

Just a FYI .... I have done some back to back tests with different bodies at Karz races . I tried the Hpi Silvia GT body with the rear wing , against the Hpi 68 Camaro body , thinking that the Silvia would be faster . Wrong . The Camaro was consistently .3 faster . IMO the modern car bodies do not have any advantage over the vintage bodies .
Old 05-23-2015, 11:16 AM
Tech Master

It wasn't really about all out performance. We have guys that would just like to run cars more relevant to them. I am sure that once more people work on setups for modern bodies all will equal out. Might even start a muscle car vs import rivalry.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Agreed . Any difference in performance in the bodies is not worth worrying about at the club level . The more the merrier .
Old 05-29-2015, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

Latest Revision to the rules

Alberta Scale Spec:

1/10th scale electric TC chassis. 5mm minimum ride height. 3mm for M-Chassis.

21.5 ROAR APPROVED motor. No restriction on endbell timing.

ROAR-approved Non-Timing ESC for brushless motors.

HPI D Compound tires (CTA Tires) or USGT SpecTires - No Dish Wheels.

Realistic, scale bodies must be run on all chassis (No current or previously approved Touring Car Bodies). VTA style bodies may run included rear-deck spoilers. Scale Car bodies may run included wings, or option wing sets that emphasize scale appearance. No Daytona Prototype/LMP type cars.

Maximum 6-cell NiMH or NiCd batteries or maximum 7.4v 2S lithium technology batteries (4.2v per cell MAX Voltage).
Lithium technology batteries must be in hard case.

4wd: 1450g minimum weight*.
*If someone is winning too easily and utterly dominating the Race Director reserves the right to make that individual run more weight.

FWD TC Chassis: No minimum weight (This may change if they have a clear advantage).

M-Chassis: (M03-M06): No minimum weight (This may change if they have a competitive advantage) any gear set - Recommended gear set is the RW Racing one from England. It Is Delrin like his TC Spurs, I’ve been told that you can get done to just below 4:1 with it..

M-Chassis: Open tire on Mini rims.

4 wheel independent suspension only no solid rear axle.

The spirit of Scale Spec is reasonable cost, scale-appearance, even, competitive racing. Scale livery is encouraged. Drivers are encouraged to operate both within the letter and spirit of the rules.

Al Qualifiers and mains will be heads up starts. (This may change if there is too much carnage)

The “Dale Rule” if it is too fast you will be inspected, if it’s not in the rules it probably isn’t allowed.

If the Race Director feels it is not in the spirit of the rules it is not allowed.

These rules can and will be updated at anytime to make the racing closer and more Fun.

Last edited by patorz31; 07-17-2015 at 10:49 AM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service