Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Canadian R/C Scene
What Direction Does On-Road Need To Go >

What Direction Does On-Road Need To Go

What Direction Does On-Road Need To Go

Old 09-19-2005, 02:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default What Direction Does On-Road Need To Go

in an attempt to grow the hobby of on-road racing, what are some of the things we should do at club levels to attract people to our sport. should we have spec classes like a tamiya tt-01 class? keeping it simple with spec motors, stick packs and no hopops. what do you feel needs to be done as a r/c community to attrack more people. please post your thoughts and comments

all the best
Old 09-19-2005, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

One of the biggest things I've noticed seems to be the attitudes of the guy's at the clubs. I don't race onroad anywhere but at Carcar but there are big attitude differences between the onroad club and the offroad club.

The way we try and run it is more of a social club for the members with racing being secondary. It is what brings us together t the track but we're more there to hang out with everyone. There's very few people who don't socialize with each other away from the track. We all enjoy travelling together as well. One of the worst races I went to this year turned out to be the most fun.

There were a few people that came and helped me lat year but to be honest Kerry, I didn't know who you were until the AGM a few weeks ago. I wasn't out alot but the 6 or 7 times I was there I only knew a few people.

All in all, I think I'm saying communication with new people walking in the door would be a good thing to help.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:53 PM
Tech Master

not sure where the tension between the on-road and off-road clubs come from, it has been there from what i am told for along time, we tried to bridge that gap last year but were left hanging. it sometimes is hard to figure things out on this forum because people hide behind usernames and take pot shots. we need to get past all that and focus on making both clubs and the r/c community stronger. we all face problems at club levels from time to time this hobby of ours has peaks and valleys. people will get bored of one thing and try another and so on. but when you walk through any club door it should be fun for everyone. you are right on that point, people should be there to help others and give assistance when needed. as for any club the more you attend the more you get to know people, the more you feel comfortable. i'm glad you can put a face to a name and thanx for the input and hope to see ya out this season.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:55 PM
Tech Master

Kerry, looks like snopro on the Summer Onroad thread agrees with you re Tamiya.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

You know, the TT01 class, when first brought up back home (Aust) was laughed at, as members who already had there nice Associated etc chassis thought no one would get into TT01 spec class. Well 6 mnths down the track, and the TT01 is the strongest class alongside stock, and majority of the TT01 drivers are the guys laughing the class of in the first place (along with a string of new members). when you realise a TT01 spec setup would cost you a little more than a decent matched pack.... its a great fun class to race. I think a brand new tub chassis cost anyone $12 retail to replace... simply cant ask for a cheaper class

I think the only problem we would have with it here, is the LHS stock of Tamiya.... doesnt seem to be any... If we can get them on board, that would double the chances of the series being a success. I already have every car for almost every class, yet id still go get a TT01. Tight control classes are where its at.. door to door action.

Also, have certain members introduced at every drivers meeting, these can be the 'go see' guys who can help with setup and advice to all newbies (or not so newbies) at the start of every meeting is a good idea. IMHO, working out new big plans for more big races around Alberta isnt the way to increase the popularity of the sport, concentrating on your own club and doing anything to raise member numbers, that is the way to go, and you dont need to worry about the big races, they will come as a result of more and more in the sport.

Numbers at club level are more important than interclub level. Just my 2.5c
Old 09-19-2005, 03:51 PM
Tech Elite

Oh and annomosity between onroad and offroad, is the same anywhere ive been too. I still havent figured it out. The only way i can understand it is, if you become a member of, say, onroad first and get to know people etc, you then feel apart of that RC comunity. Then when you go to the offroad club, you may feel a little out of it, as these arent the same guys you race against at onroad. Its weird, but ive heard about this from alot of people. Best thing to do, is dont go on first impressions, and get to know more people. Just race and give it time.

It doesnt even matter about the onroad/offroad stuff either... can just be club to club. I had the pleasure of not knowing anyone when i got here, now i have gotten to know both onroad and offroad guys and I can safely say i cant notice a different at either club. Both have a very friendly atmosphere.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I think you could even pick the gt2 class from tamiya then it opens up a few extra cars for people to pick what they want. or more then one TCS class the mini's are alot of fun and as seen in regina at the races everyone likes to watch them . its just my thinking that some of these lower money class's can for sure help out by giving racing a bunch of new blood . it will also bring back alot of guys that are tired of the "feeling" they need to spend money to keep up.

http://www.tamiya.ca/2005tcsrules.htm

take a look at the rules and see how simple and cheap it would end up being for a new kid to race.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:21 PM
Tech Master

thanx for the input axle182, pm hobby has alot of tt01 stuff. they aRE willing to sell the kits close to cost for new racers, if this is a direction we would like to go. I dont have a problem with having a stock class with spec tires and a motor, i am just trying to appeal to new racers in the sport that don't want to spend alot of money. if people want to see this then we can give it a try, as for getting to know racers and introducing them is a great idea. that is why i suggested having monthly meetings to bring members up to speed on what is happening and so we can socialize more. i'm thinking we can do this the 2nd wed of every month before practice. as for helping new people i don't think i can name one person that would not help a new driver on-road or off-road. lets get past all the hangups on what people see is the problem and try and make it better and more fun.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

Hi Kerry, You'll have to show me at PM. I couldnt find anything last time i was there (altho i was looking for TA-04 gear)

John mentioned a great idea, about actually having new kits for sale at the track. Another idea, or more, and extension of that idea, is the club purchases two TT-01's for hire purposes. Kids can have a night of racing at a cheap price, and can go home and give their parents hell until they agree to buy them their own car lol.

Alot of awesome ideas guys.

Another thing, the selling of the kits at the track and tt01's for hire wont work if we dont first get new people in the door at the track. Advertising in the paper? Advertising in the shops? Advertising using car stickers for the back of your regular van or truck? Lets give parents alternatives to another video game for christmas for their young kid.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

I just visited the Tamiya site looking at the TT-01's. Which one would you go with? There are 42 models all with differing price ranges. I have heard great things about running this class. I'd run it in a heart beat. From everything I've heard, it takes the "He who has the most money, wins" aspect out of the racing. I have enough of that for my own tastes in the summer.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

If the class was to go through, id say any of the TT-01/TL-01 kits are able to race in the class. The chassis are all identicle (TT/TL), and due to the lowered speeds, body shape doesnt matter as much (go for whatever you think is cool!) The only problem would be the kit tyres, they are junk and you cant run them on carpet, so the only extra expense would be a spec tyre. id suggest staying with Tamiya 26mm tyres. Ive heard of Type A or B 26mm touring car spec tyres. Nice and cheap and you can use the kit rims. Also the kits have a ESC included or the cheaper ones i think have a mechanical, either one could be used. Bearings is about the only other upgrade needed.

The even easier option is the XB series. Prices go up a little, but its built, with ESC and radio ready to run. Oh and i dont mind at all if someone needs a kit built if you cant be bother building it yourself... ive built around 20 TT01's
Old 09-19-2005, 05:04 PM
Tech Master

they have i think around 6-8 of the cars there. ask rod or barry. if people want to try this then i will get pricing from rod asap. its going to be a slow process and things take time but i feel we are on the right track. before we jump in we should come up with a set of guildlines for this class. that way people are buying the right stuff from the get go. promotion is how we grow any sport. colin gave me some info regarding advertising for free in the papers and i will work on that, any other pr ideas, and if you want to help i would be appreciative.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

The best way to promote growth in the hobby is to expose more people to the hobby and make it easier for them to get started in. Holding exibition races at fairs, car shows, hobby expos or even in high traffic parking lots goes a long way to showing potential racers what the hobby is all about. It also important to give the appearce of a helpful friendly atmosphere with a progresive classes from low cost entry level racing to all out open modified.

Although not popular I would also say that leaving foam for rubber tires would also go a long way to attracting new racers. I have been to coutless races where an interested party looks over at other racers truing their tires, adjusting their droop, ride height, adding weight or measuring tire diameter to figure out their roll out and lose interest when they see all the work involved to prep the car from heat to heat.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think On Road is just in a low point. 3 years ago RCGEARS had next to no members and CARCAR had lots of members. 9 years ago when I started racing. RCGEARS they had tons of members and was able to run a novice class every week. In a couple of years everyone will run on road again. I think most racers only race for 3 to 4 years then move on to something else so they're picking On Road or Off Road. So if you want to promote on road I think you should start with working with RCGEARS to get some of thier members to race on road in the winter. Summer has always been slow for CARCAR.

I have a dream where On Road racers and Off Road Racers race together on the same track
Old 09-19-2005, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Mall races are a good start or maybe a community hall .....just to get exposure. I beleive that we are doing the Driven To Perform car show again in the spring......this is an awesome event to get exposure to a lot of car nuts as this is the biggest import/custom auto show in our area. The boys in B.C. also put on a race at the show in their area. With the proper organization we could draw some pretty big crowds. We need to gear up for this race starting after Christmas.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service