03 Western Canadian Off Road Championships >

03 Western Canadian Off Road Championships

03 Western Canadian Off Road Championships

Old 09-28-2002, 06:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default 03 Western Canadian Off Road Championships

OK Folks:

Here is a thread that we can put ideas down for next summers big off road season. I know its early....BUT .... I hate surprises! We need basic rules, dates and times ( some clubs have already stated there trophy race time), classes to be run, trophy costs, points moderators, and people to do and things to see about and discuss for the 3 clubs in each province that have indicated their parcipitation.

BC:

Quesnel, Coquitlam, Kelowna

Alta:

Edmonton, Red Deer, Calgary

LET ERR RIP!
Old 09-30-2002, 05:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

I volunteer to take care of the points whatever system w choose -I will probably attend 2 Alberta races (assuming long weekends are not involved for most/all of them) and 1 BC race.

We need to decide where the final "chamionship" race will be - maybe we should make bids like Roar? We need to do this ASAP so people know when and where an can make plans.

From what we discussed before the rules to determine the champion in each class will be:
1. Points will be based on 3 races, your best 2 finishes from the club races and the championship race.
2. You must attend the final championship race to be elidgable to win.
3. You can attend as many races as you want - your best 2 finishes and the championship count.

Here is my idea for points:
Your 2 best results from the point races count for 50%
The last big race counts 50%

So suppose Jim goes to 3 races:
Race 1 first place - 100 points
Race 2 second place - 98 points
Championship race 12th place - 87 points
Total points: (100+98)/2 + 87 = 186

Don goes to 3 races:
Race 1 first place - 100 points
Race 2 15th place - 84 points
Championship race 1st place - 100 points
Total points: (100+84)/2 + 100 = 192

Ties would be broken based on the finish position in the final race.

Simple rules:
1. Roar dimensions for 1/8 buggy
2. Non-turbo, non modfied .12 engines for 1/10 truck
3. No tire cutting - i.e. tire treds must be unmodified (this is a cost saving measure)
4. Roar rules for 1/10 truck dimensions
5. Roar rules for electric classes, no handouts
6. 30% nitro maximum
7. Ifmar qualifying
8. All Nitro cars must have return springs on the carb - and I would force fail safes too...

I think it is VERY important to schedule the last big race right away - especially if it will be on a long weekend. I also think it would be great if the various clubs could try to avoid long weekends but that is just my 2c

As for sponsorship - I recently got sponsored by GS, Fioroni and Medial Pro ... so thse folks will be donating some prizes. If we get our act together we may be able to get more than just prizes.

I think for race fees for the club races $30 for first class $20 for next classes is good. I would say 1/3 of the fees should go for trophies. For the final race the fees should be higher say $45 and $30... there should be one big trophie (cup) fr reach class that the winner gets to keep for a year (as well as a nice regular trophie to keep)... again 1/3 of the money for trophies.

Other stuff:
All the races should have early registration with a penalty for registering late (less than 1 month before)
Old 09-30-2002, 06:55 PM
Tech Regular

Dido!
Old 09-30-2002, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

Chris:

Obviously you want to keep track of the points so I'll 2nd that nomination for you, hehe!

OK, I think that we also have to see which clubs would be willing to put the Championship race on. I know that Kelowna can do it, we can in Quesnel, and Red Deer to I hear. I'm sure others maybe are interested as well. Its a major task to put the race on.
Travel is also important I think for at least the first year
Do you think that all interested clubs SHOULD draw from a hat to find out who gets the Final Race or do we let Kelowna take the first one next September as they indicated earlier they would do and an Alta club gets it the following year. I believe that the date has to be the September LW at minimum to get all the other dates run.

I think that every club has to realise that if you want the Final Race you will have one of them at your club possibly only every 5 years, changing from province to province (BC-AB) yearly.

As to registration I agree that all racers should register at least 30 days before any of the 6 Races over the season to allow clubs to make up trophys and such. After 30 days a late charge goes into effect and will be enforced. You don't have to pay up front but at least have the curtiousy (sp?) to register early to help all the clubs involved. That way they know how many racers to expect.

I'll get back on the rest....

PS. Does this mean your going to be driving a Storm next season?

Don
Old 09-30-2002, 08:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Don - if it's going to be the September long wekend then for sure Kelowna is a good bet because of the weather. I think drawing from a hat would be best... I know Calgary wants it again too Basically I hink everyone wants to host "the big one."

No Storm for me - I'm stickin with Kyosho - I run a lot of medial pro (tires and engine) and Fioroni stuff so its a good deal. I might change cars when the new version comes out - we'll see.

Chris.
Old 09-30-2002, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

Well, I really think that the Final Race should be on the September LW just so the other clubs can get their races in.
I realize that everyone would like "the big one" but I guess we'll have to get everyones thoughts as to who gets it. I have no problem with Kelowna getting it as we'll all get our turn eventually.

As for BC clubs we need to have our races on LW just because of travel time for the BC clubs. Quesnel is 6-7 hours to Kelowna or the coast either way.

Unless the consencious changes Coquitlam has stated a May LW race, Quesnel a August LW race, and Kelowna the Final in Sept.
These dates work very well with our weather lately over the last few years.....

Don
Old 10-01-2002, 08:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Since Calgary had the champs last year I would vote for the race to be somewhere in BC. It would be great if we could get Martin to run it ...

Kelowna had the Roar Nats the year before so maybe one of the other tracks should get the race (if they want to do it?)

Chris.
Old 10-01-2002, 08:52 AM
Tech Master

Default September Final!

I'll put our hat in the ring for the Final in Quesnel. We have done major work to our track and even more is planned for next season. A new drivers stand plus major track work to make it even better. We have a long straight, some big air, and elevation changes.

What say the masses?????

Old 10-03-2002, 05:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Don't forget that quesnel had the roar regionals the same year that kelowna held the nat. I think that weather should be a big part in who holds what race, and when. I am for kelowna holding the september race
Old 10-03-2002, 10:52 PM
Tech Master

Default Race Director for Final!

I think it would be a good idea to have someone that is willing to do the job be the Race Director for the Final. Martin's V's name has come up for it. Is there any other person that would be interested in doing the Final as well? We might as well find out if anyone else is interested. I'm sure Martin would be interested, he likes the abuse, "don't you Martin?"

I think that a fee paid to this person for being the Race Director for this Final Race should be covered by all the parcipitating clubs as this will be the biggest off road race of the season and a good job needs to be done by whomever does it.

What do you all think .....

Old 10-05-2002, 09:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

hey i think martin v is a great race director, and ran our race with out many problems but i think that is should be up to the club who is hosting the event to provide a race director rather than saying that one guy is it because whos to say that the race director will traval to were ever the race is been held
Old 10-05-2002, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

Default September Final!

Well, I've talked to the club members here in Quesnel and we will go with a club vote that the September Final in 2003 be held in Kelowna, BC. This means for sure that the Western Canadian Series Off Road Race in Quesnel will be held on the August LW ( August 2-3, 2003) as previously mentioned. You can book this date in your new calendar.....As well don't forget to book your date for the season opener in Coquitlam on the May LW (May 17-18, 2003) as the Coquitlam Club has also stated.

I imagine that will help in attaining Martin's Race Director status for Kelowna seeing as how he lives not to far from Kelowna......

As to trophys, I think 1 permanent trophy for each class as a Western Canadian Off Road Champion should be made that can have the winning drivers name added to it every year. These trophys can then be given to the next club to hold the Final the following year and so on after they get engraved with the winners names.

Each winning driver should be given a token trophy that is theirs to keep and labelled as a Western Canadian Champion for that year for the class they win.

All the other trophys should be just a regular Kelowna trophy (saying the final is in Kelowna) as to where you placed at the Kelowna race. Ex. (you may win a 1st place in Kelowna but maybe not the Western Canadian Championship).

Probably the best way to pay for the Championship Trophys would be to decide how many classes there will be (EX. 6 classes = 6 big permanent trophys and 6 winning driver trophys)

We as clubs can decide how much we want to spend for these 12 trophys and divvy it up 6 ways (Ex. $600 divided by 6 clubs is $100 per club). The first year will be more expensive but in the following years only plaques will be needed for the permanent trophys and only take home trophys will be required for the winning drivers. This will make it cheaper for all clubs starting 2004.

So in essence, the Championship Trophys are a separate entity unto themselves. If the clubs of the winning drivers have not paid their share for the trophys (say 30 days before Final Race, trophys have to be made and paid for) then any driver that is part of the non-paying club WILL NOT be eligble to become a Western Canadian Off Road Champion.

Either your club is in on this or......

I will gladly take this task on for the Championship Trophys to being designed and made (I have been involved in this field) and can get us a very good price.

Each club will look after their own trophys for their own races as has been the norm.

I think this is fair....what says everyone to this?

Don

Old 10-05-2002, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Wow I have been out of the loop for a bit here.Hmmm where to start.
Well on the rules as basics I feel that gas cars should have a spring on the carb but it should only need to be strong enough to close the carb in the case of a servo arm or linkage coming disconnected.Springs that are too tight can make servo's work much harder than need be and could itself cause a failure.Fail safe units should be encouraged but if there is not one present then a spring should be present on the servo arm that should close the throttle in addition to the carb spring.The servo return spring does not need to be fast but should have the abillity to close the throttle while the engine is running.
The final race should be the same cost as the rest of the races as the additional cost of the trophys would be covered by the clubs and not entry fees.
The points idea is good but would 60% and 40% for year end work as well?This would put too much emphasis on the final at 50/50.Even tho people would come to it any ways it would make for interesting mains
I still believe mains in gas should all be by laps based on 120% of the best lap on track to determine the laps for time given.
Example;A main at Kelowna with best lap set at 30 seconds based on 120% rule it would mean the laps would be 36 seconds at 120% making a fourty five minuit main 75 laps or fourty five minuits long maximum.If it finishes in 35 minuits then the time saved helps others to get ready for whatever with the time saved but the race is done at 45 minuits and no longer if all laps are not completed.Winner determined by position at 45 minuit mark when crossing the line for final time.
IFMAR qualifying is great and works well for us.
Kelowna is the perfect venue for the first "Big one" and we look forward to going to Albertas big one when it arrives.
7.5Man
If you have some pics of any trophy ideas for the big one please post em for us to give input,these will be lasting events we hope and the trophys should be timeless.I am sure you will do a great job picking out some ideas for this and we would all be glad to help decide on the "big ones" for all to enjoy.
Old 10-05-2002, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

Default Trophys!

Hi All:

I'll get together with my trophy man in the next short while and get some good ideas and prices. My first thought is that the permanent trophys that stay as a memorial to the Series will be at least 2' high with a 2-3 teer platform so that about 8-10 names over that many years can be placed on it before another teer is added. It could be similar to Lords Stanley Cup in design or..... I haven't seen many trophys lately with cups, mostly just tall pylons and some extra bs. As Inferno said, "Lets make these nice timeless trophys."

As to the personal trophys, I'm in favor of plaques. They hang easy and can be placed anywhere ( like front doorway entrance in the house so ALL know your "The Man." when they enter.(LOL).

As to points, I have to think more about it. I don't know if the last race (Final) should have anymore importance than being mandatory and a tie breaker. If you have a good start to your season and have some bad luck in the last race your then penalized and thats not right as some one could have had trouble in the earlier segment and then win because of a no problem Final at a high % performance.

I would think its better to count from 100 points down from the winner as you finish each race during the Series. If there is a tie going into the Final the winner gets the nod with the highest finish at the Final (remember you can only keep 2 races out of all you attend + the Final). Nothing like seeing maybe 3-4 people tied and how they do in the Final makes the winner.

Also, I think it would be cool though that all Top Qualifiers at each race through the Series get 1 extra point to add to their totals. This would be a great incentive for racers to do as well as possible for every race they can attend as some extra points can be found to help your cause. Imagine how important getting that extra 1 point for TQ could be at the Final Race if lots of drivers are tied going into the Final!

Yes I think laps is the way to go for the races also. A 120% figure is a fair number and should keep the lap or 40 minute race pretty equal either way it unfolds.

Don

Old 10-05-2002, 09:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

this is for all you backyard bashers there will be a fun run at the kelowna bmx track oct 12 around 10:00 so bring out whatever you got car truck and see you there

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service