Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Canadian R/C Scene
Summer On-Road Racing in Western Canada >

Summer On-Road Racing in Western Canada

Summer On-Road Racing in Western Canada

Old 08-27-2005, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Summer On-Road Racing in Western Canada

Well the 2005 Canadian Asphalt Invitational is over and as most of you have probably heard, the race was great but the attendance was dismal. It was always my hope that this would become the on-road race to attend in the summer but perhaps I was mistaken to think that this was possible. I am not sure why more people didn't attend this event but I have some ideas as to why:
1. didn't like the control tire for electric cars
2. didn't like the price of entry
3. didn't want to travel incase of rainout
4. didn't like the fact that we were saying that "this was the don't miss race of the summer."
5. busy with real life / family and kids
6. racing both on and off road...too many races to attend
7. etc...etc...

What ever the reason attendance was low, we (the R/C comminity in Western Canada) need to talk about what we need to do to make on-road racing flourish. Talking to guys here that have been involved in the hobby for a number of years they say that it's on again/ off again with the popularity of off-road racing and that in a few years off-road will lose it's grip on summer racers and more guys will come back to the streets. I don't see why we can't have both be successful.

Maybe I am wrong. Maybe there are only a very small number of guys racing and with all the venues wanting to hold their own race, maybe we can't flourish?? Anyhow, what are your ideas to help on-road grow in the summer. I thought that by bringing the best in the world to a race was a great start but obviously something happened this year that caused the low turnout at the CAI.

Here are some ideas to start off the discussion

1. Have a series like the WCORS
2. Decide 5 years in advance, which city will be host to the summers big race...things are in place to have the CAI move from city to city
3. Have a sancioned event...ie. ROAR race.

What are your ideas. Let's work together to make on-road racing great.

John Hughes
Old 08-27-2005, 07:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

gaurenteed better attendance= HOOTER GIRLS!!!!! jk maybe coincide with a newbie/family/charity/fun day race on first day. brings out people maybe not familiar to racing. have some demo's etc... bbq. prizes. if we could get enough interest from our local hobby shops , how about a rtr ntc3(electric?) giveaway with free race entry. if we do it in conjuction with radio etc... for a charity. proceeds to ccs. cnib, diabetes whatever. we look a little less like a special interest group and will get more media exposure.just my two cents. alright penny and a half.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'll personally think there shouldn't be any sancioned races. Not many people want to pay for a license to race one race.
As for having a series it's hard when only 2 tracks race on road duing the summer in Alberta and not many people are willing to drive to BC. Maybe some sort of north/south challenge race. Just my thoughts.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

JJ, your effort in bringing 3 of the top racers to Edmonton this year was great, that alone should have been enough to atract more racers than it did......why?? Could have been many reasons.....#1 on your list sure(control tire)....#2 on your list yes(the entry fee was a little high $50 for one class).....#3 maybe(i guess no one can control the weather). Given the geography....racers in Canada have to travel to attend races if they want to race more than once or twice a year. I personally attended 3 on road races this year....one in Victoria hosted by the IRROC club...the turnout was fantastic....93 entries.....62( I think) in the stock touring class alone, the CARCAR club in Calgary hosted a race at the Southcenter Mall parking lot....turnout was low for a one day race but we did have a few guys from Edmonton drive down for the day so it was not all bad, and then the CAI in Edmonton....which I thought should of had the biggest turnout but didn't. Maybe Blake Bell(IRROC) can share some ideas that helped him gather a fairly large crowd on the coast. Weather is definately a problem.....last year Edmonton got rained out but this year was great 26c or so on sat and close to 30c on sunday.
Anyway...just trying to keep this thread up to get more opinions.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Just found this thread, so I'll throw some opinions and ideas into the mix.

Talking specifially of this years CAI;
I throughly enjoyed it, but nearly did not attend, there were 4 reasons for me
1, Entry fee was more than I have EVER paid for an event
2, Control tyre, if you HAVE to run a control tyre, in my opinion you MUST include 1 set with entry, better yet don't have 1.
3, you have a race day on a regular work day, costs me too much to take a day off to race toy cars, either have it on a long weekend, or better yet keep it to a 2 day event which helps control hotel bills, and food bills ( especially for me!!)
and 4, Cash Prizes.
To my mind cash prizes have no place in toy car racing.
They really can bring out the worst in people.

oh, but I have to say the amount of effort put in by the host club to run an event such as this is huge, I am only stating my own negative points for your consideration, but as I said they did not stop me coming, or having a great time.

So, ideas - well with poor club turnouts all round the province for on road ( from what I have heard), it's not surprising the entry is low, there just is not the pool of racers here right now. I still think the clubs have to get more kids out to the track. What we have now is an older group where guys are retiring every year, but hardly anyone is coming up to replace them.
We need demo days at schools, do more car shows, run at malls, all that stuff. Get the clubs out there and seen in the communities.
Then from there we start to nurture the newbies through the clubs and onto the bigger events.

Any follow on thoughts?
Old 08-29-2005, 06:04 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think that to bring back the scene, you have to make stock actually stock. Make the class so that only the new guys with very limited money will be interested in actually racing. New ppl come out and see all the money they have to drop to try and compete in a stock class, and walk away. Tweaked motors, high end matched packs, foam tires trued to nothing, all to be super fast in what should be the springboard into on-road racing. Make it spec rubber tires, a spec motor, and stick packs. You could even take it as far as limiting the amount of money spent on the electronics in the car. Make it so there is an affordable way to race, and ppl will start to come out again. If there is no place that a new person can race, and are intimidated from the moment they show up, they will leave.

Also we need to eliminate the pounding through someone to make a pass. I know that is the number one reason why I am not racing on-road anymore. I don't find enjoyment in getting rammed in the back by ppl who can't wait for one or two corners until I can actually have a place to move over. These are JMO.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:54 AM
Tech Master

gary has some good points, as for stock racing making it a rtr or for newbies only i feel would hurt more. i personally like running stock and dont like mod that much. but keeping it simple is what we need to get back to. should there be a beginner stock class? and limit what they can run in that class batts ect..? sounds like good ideas, as for better turnouts in bc they have a few million people in that area 3x more than calgary = better chance of turnout, but asking other clubs being on-road or off-road how they find success is how we need to comunicate to grow our hobby. this is a good thread for open discussion let work together instead of bashin each other and grow the sport.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:25 PM
Tech Addict

I can offer up a couple ideas from the perspective of a guy from BC that has been racing for a year or so and really really really wanted to go out to Edmonton for the race, but couldn't justify it in the end:

1) Friday - This was a downer for me. I could have justified taking one day off to get out to Edmonton and travelled on the Friday, but the fact that there was already practice and everything going on for the Friday meant that I really would need to leave Thursday sometime in order to get there and be competitive.

2) On-line Debates/Tires/Etc. - I was following the forums pretty carefully to get information about the race. When it came to decide on classes, batteries, tires, dates, and all of the other stuff that went on in the forums I started thinking that the people going to the race were really hard core and that it might not be the crowd for a relative rookie. This isn't a "sour grapes" statement - I just thought I was way outclassed and I didn't want to hold people up.

The bottom line really was that for whatever reason, this felt like it was a big race for big drivers to me. It was a big time commitment, big entry fee, and there were a lot of big debates flying around over some of the issues. I figured a little guy would get lost in the middle of all that and just trip people up.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:24 PM
Tech Master

thanx for your thoughts big d i think that is a problem we all face with new members. every club goes through those issues one way or another, they feel that they are over there heads until you get there and see all levels and calibres of driving. it was great to hear the big names attending, racing with guys that skill level would have been worth the admission. always remember this is a fun sport "you take out what you put in". going to races like the edmonton race you normally pickup tips and tricks from other drivers to help you along. this is another bonus for attending these events.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey Big D,

Thanks for the input. One of the first "big" races I attended was in Abbotsford. Mark Pavidis was the guest driver and it just so happened that Travis Schrevin (sp) the U.S.ROAR stock Nat.s Champion was there too. I felt like you but was lucky enough to have great club guys here telling me what Kerry jsut told you. I certainly didn't finish very high up on mains list but man did I have fun and learned a ton.

The guys planning the race here for next year will certainly put your comments as well as other peoples, into consideration.

John Hughes
Old 08-29-2005, 11:30 PM
Tech Initiate

We'd certainly be up for some discussion of a series type event as well - it's a long way out to the coast, but if people were up for it, we'd be happy to work on something.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:38 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the encouragement guys - I think it would be great to keep the stock class that you added later on. That announcement came a bit too late for me, but if the class was around next year, it would certainly go a long way toward helping the newbies out.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks VMAR, I like the idea of a summer series rather than "one-off" races. It would promote people to travel a little more.....and once again because we live in a country where the cities are so far apart that long distance travel is inevitable.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tandman
Thanks VMAR, I like the idea of a summer series rather than "one-off" races. It would promote people to travel a little more.....and once again because we live in a country where the cities are so far apart that long distance travel is inevitable.
Some might say there is already more than enough out of town travelling thoughout the year though, myself included.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Stu, some people do not mind travelling to races......Victoria this summer was a blast and the turnout was great. I will definately be back there for their race next year.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service