2014/2015 WCICS Official Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Default 2014/2015 WCICS Official Thread

Congrats to all the racers from last season, it was our best ever with 8 races and over 1000 registrations!

Already looking forward to another season of racing in Western Canada! Always improving on the year before, here's the rules MONTHS ahead of time, giving racers lots of time to prepare for next season.

Firstly, a big thanks to last year's sponsors:
Sweep Racing: TC Spec Tires
Great Hobbies:TC Stock Class
Awesomatix: TC Mod Class
Novak RC: 12th Mod Class
ATD Hobbies: Tamiya Mini Class
Best Western Hotels: World GT
Orion Safety: CTA/GT Class
UPS Shipping: 12th Stock Class
Discount Vehicle Rentals

Last year's schedule worked beautifully, well balanced with 3 races in BC, 3 in AB and 2 in SK. The things we've worked to achieve with this schedule are that it puts the months with double races at the beginning and end of the season, which are hopefully the best months to travel/drive. Also, it is fairly spread out so that there’s at least a month (and usually 2 months) between races in the same province. So the tentative schedule is below, filling in the dates when the clubs have confirmation of their venue bookings (of course everyone could have venue booking issues, so this is just an early estimate):

September Sept 26-28th: Ryan Rice-Saskatoon, SK

October 31-Nov 2nd: Patrick O’Rourke-NASCAR, Edmonton, AB

November 21-23rd: Amber-ATD Hobby, Penticton, BC

December 5-7th: Scott West-Karz, Airdrie, AB

January 9-11th: Blake Bell-IROCC (Victoria) & NRC (Nanaimo RC), Victoria, BC

February 6-8th (Tentative): Robbie Langley-Fastraxx, Regina, SK

March 6-8th (Tentative): Jason Mardon-Thompson Valley RC, Kamloops, BC

March 27-29th: Cal Freeman-CarCar, Calgary, AB

This season was our best yet, and with no major changes in technology, the ruleset is stabalizing. So only 3 changes for this season:

1. Mini: ROAR Approved square packs are allowed in the M05.

2. F1 is now an official class, rules are being developed and will be announced before the Sept 1 rule date.

3. (Oct 5 Update) ROAR has changed their battery policy, and as such effective immediately all hard case batteries are allowed and the battery rules have been changed to read: Li-Poly battery packs must have a hard, protective case as per ROAR 8.3.2.2. For more details please see post #84. http://www.rctech.net/forum/13576473-post84.html

All of the other updated rules are already in the attached rulebook. Any changes are in bold type.

And that's about it, everything else stays the same. No changes to TC, WGT, 12th or CTA/GT.

That's about it for now, I'm off doing summer stuff; Calgary Ironman (the real one ), some Touring Car racing (full size ), and kart racing once we get a new track built , so if you have any questions please ask your local club rep as I won't be online much. All the club reps were present and involved in the decisions in the meeting, and can give you any details.

I'm really happy to report all of the club reps and most of the WCICS Exec continue unchanged into this new season, which is great and I think shows how well everything is working in this series! Brad is stepping down as Sponsorship Director, so we do have an opening. If you've got mad skills talking to companies, and want to help grow the series, please send me a PM.

As always, this is a non-profit series, and everything here is a direct result of the hard work of all the volunteers (reps, RD's, tech, WCICS Exec, WCICS Directors, club exec, etc). If you have comments, keep it in mind and be kind!

Have a great summer and we'll see you in September for some great RC racing!

Josh
WCICS President
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2014 WCICS Rules 1.pdf (401.2 KB, 685 views)
File Type: pdf
2014 WCICS Rules 2.pdf (487.5 KB, 373 views)

Last edited by IronRing Racing; 10-06-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:36 AM
Tech Addict

Does Saskatoon wcics have a date yet?
Old 05-30-2014, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Last year was an awesome season. Adding Kamloops to the series is good for both BC and Eastern racers. Now that Kamloops is in. It makes it easier for me to attend more races. As Calgary and Airdrie are only 7-8hours away , and in a westerly direction there is Victoria (Sidney) which is 6hours including ferry, and Penticton is a mere 2.5hrs. There is some really close and tight competition in this series. I see almost all racers progressing every year in skill level as they learn more about their cars and equipment. I think this years season will be even better. We have a seriously fast group of guys and gals at The WCICS. I am really looking forward to this years racing action. I enjoy seeing old faces, and BSing about old times. Talking about races of years gone by, but I especially like seeing the new and young faces of indoor rc racing as these are new members . New members are what make the series grow and the competition more interesting. I really enjoy helping the beginners and watching them get faster with every race.

If there was a vote for rookie of the year in the series:

Luke Pittman of Kelowna. This guy was at nearly every race in his first season. Finishing in many A mains. Cheers brother. You killed it .

And to all the WCICS officials and volunteers. Awesome job. You also killed it.

I don't often race RC cars, but when I do it's in the WCICS ....
Race on my friends. Race on
Old 05-30-2014, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I'm looking forward to this years races.

As I've said before, I feel there is no fairness in CTA for GT cars. A silvercan, even a red dot, cannot keep up with 21.5 open gearing. Its basically just a VTA class, which is why I haven't run it.

Seattle RC Racers Scale Spec class is definitely something that should be looked at. It is a great bridge between novice and stock racing.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:13 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

As the series grows it also improves, This past year was one of the most competitive seasons yet, but also one of the most enjoyable as well. The fun aspect is also growing and along with it so is the social activity.

More and more venues are closing early on the Saturday and allowing racers to eat and socialize together, for me this was always one of the best memories I have from races years ago, Glad to see that trend returning.

The racers and the clubs that make up WCICS should all be proud of what everyone has contributed with the series.

Looking forward to next season.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

Thanks everyone, we're working hard to improve every year!

Our top priority has always been the racers; to create the best series, with the fun, fair, fantastic racing that I'm happy to see WCICS is becoming known for. We can always be better, and we're working hard over the summer to get even better.

John, you are absolutely correct, but our goal was never to create equality between CTA and GT. As you can imagine, given the rules of each, that's impossible. CTA has grown so much it's overtaken GT and is now the majority of that class, GT is really in there simply because it isn't big enough to stand on it's own. With 8 classes we're also very diverse, don't think anyone wants to add another class. For rubber tire racing, there's a nice progression from Mini, to CTA, to Stock, to Mod. I don't think there's any gaps in that progression; what's your thoughts, do we need another rubber tire spec class?

Thanks again everyone, really appreciate the comments!

WCICS Team
Old 05-31-2014, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bambikilr View Post
Last year was an awesome season. Adding Kamloops to the series is good for both BC and Eastern racers. Now that Kamloops is in. It makes it easier for me to attend more races. As Calgary and Airdrie are only 7-8hours away , and in a westerly direction there is Victoria (Sidney) which is 6hours including ferry, and Penticton is a mere 2.5hrs. There is some really close and tight competition in this series. I see almost all racers progressing every year in skill level as they learn more about their cars and equipment. I think this years season will be even better. We have a seriously fast group of guys and gals at The WCICS. I am really looking forward to this years racing action. I enjoy seeing old faces, and BSing about old times. Talking about races of years gone by, but I especially like seeing the new and young faces of indoor rc racing as these are new members . New members are what make the series grow and the competition more interesting. I really enjoy helping the beginners and watching them get faster with every race.
Well said Dustin. That was one of the best internet posts I've read in a while.

I'm looking forward to September already, and making my first ever R/C event in Saskatchewan.

Blake
Old 06-07-2014, 01:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Are there any more rules for the F1 class for this up and coming season? I'm in the process of building one and I want to build it correctly the first time.... Any update would be great....thanks
Old 06-07-2014, 12:28 PM
Tech Master

Cal is building the rules for F1, I'm sure he'll post them up here as soon as they're done!

Josh
Old 06-08-2014, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

I will get the F1 rules to the clubs this week. It would be nice to get some feedback from the clubs before they are finalized for the season. Basically we will be running UF1 rules with some slight changes. Rubber tire, 21.5 blinky. We would like to see the cars at 190mm, but would allow a 200mm car to run with narrow tires this first season. I believe this is what they run in Edmonton. But going forward the trend will likely be 190mm only. If buying or building a new car I would stay away from the F103 and F104W. Narrow/Modern is the standard rule set in North America and Europe. As we want the class to grow we don't want to turn guys away who want to run their wide cars that they already own. I hope the majority of cars we see are the 190mm. By having a grace period it will not come as a surprise when the class goes 190mm only. Also, guys don't spend money on a car that will not be allowed the next season.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks for the info and thanks to Anthony ( ATD Hobbies ) his input has been a great help so it looks like it will be an F104 Pro with All the Tamiya hop-ups, exotec +3 wheels to give me a 186mm width......what does everyone else suggest when building an F1. Any cool stuff to get? Best tires?... Best aftermarket parts?

Thanks again

Last edited by Shaun B22; 06-09-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:46 PM
Tech Adept

Default Season Opener

Saskatoon is confirmed for Sept 26-28

Looking forward to seeing everyone!
Old 07-02-2014, 10:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Glad to see f1 is back. Saw the email and was wondering why there series is opposed to 200mm max width? I know you said this year is ok (with narrow tires) but not to count on it next season after that.

Cheers
Old 07-03-2014, 04:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Read the post above after ... Sounds good. Now take my money.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi guys.
I assume there would be no objections to running a TC Stock car in the TC mod class. Seems like it's ok with the rules. Just checking.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service