Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Canadian R/C Scene
VMAR Secures Sight For Off Road Track >

VMAR Secures Sight For Off Road Track

VMAR Secures Sight For Off Road Track

Old 07-15-2005, 09:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Default VMAR Secures Sight For Off Road Track

Two days ago Vancouver Miniature Auto Racing (VMAR) received a letter from the City of New Westminster informing them that the proposed location for the Off Road track under the Queens borough bridge has been approved for a two, month trial period. Starting July 15, 2005 and ending September 17, 2005.

So we have work to do, we as in every one that wants to see a full time off road track built. One of he VMAR members is securing the use of a piece of heavy equipment to strip the grass of the sight in preparation for track construction. Inferno has volunteered to run that equipment.

The track doesnít have to be pretty, just some thing quick and Please excuses the pun
Dirty. We need a simple track so we can hold a race or two. The officials from the City want to see us in action so they can understand what R/C racing is all about and that we are a great bunch of people and that we are not going to cause them any grief. Then they will wave their magic wand presto we have a permanent place to play and build an awesome track.

So who wants to HELP!

Derrill
Old 07-15-2005, 10:15 PM
Tech Addict

That's some awesome news!

I know you guys will wow them burocrats with hospitality! Show them how much fun us R/C dudes can have and be great community ambassadors at the same time!
Old 08-04-2005, 12:41 AM
Tech Initiate

Talking Breaking Ground This Saturday!

Great news! The final paperwork has gone through, and we are set to break ground this Saturday!

We'd appreciate all the help we can get for a big construction blitz on the track. We'll get things rolling at 9am on Saturday morning.

The track address is 420 Wood Street in New Westminster. Here's a mapquest link to help you find it:

Map of 420 Wood Street

Bring along any tools, shovels, rakes, etc. that you think might be useful for us - also, a pair of work gloves is a good idea.

Questions can be posted here, or direct them to VMAR e-mail
Old 08-05-2005, 10:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey folks,

Just a reminder that we're starting the work tomorrow morning (Saturday) at 9am.

A free Pizza lunch is going to be served for all of the people that come out to help us!
Old 08-15-2005, 10:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Some new pics after the work party on Saturday.

Last edited by derrill84; 08-23-2005 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Great news guys!

Is this meant to compete with the track in Coquitlam? I'm still bitter after everyone decided the previous Coquitlam track beat out the beautiful track in North Vancouver and closed it down in it's prime. Even if I DO live in North Van, that track was in a great location for noise and couldn't have been more beautiful.

What's the situation for this track? Any issues with neighbours complaining about 5 o'clock mains of gas truck?
Old 08-23-2005, 05:15 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Coolio, whats the size of that baby?
Old 08-23-2005, 08:31 AM
Tech Rookie

River Side Raceway is in an industrial area, the only neighbors that we have are a sawmill to the east and the ICBC wrecking yard to the west. The nearest house is almost a Ĺ mile away.

The track started out to be 100í by 70í. It finished up to be 115í by 65í. Here are some of the latest photos.

Old 08-23-2005, 09:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Looks great. Only other question I have is the intention behind the sign posted. Why do you plan to restrict people from using the track outside of the hours posted? Even if insurance dictates this, it doesn't look like it will be easy to enforce. A public track should be a public track, for use whenever you like. Just my humble opinion.

Oh, and on a technical issue...

How many drainage sumps are in the track? We had three, and even that wasn't enough in good ol' Vancouver weather.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Aphinity
Great news guys!

Is this meant to compete with the track in Coquitlam? I'm still bitter after everyone decided the previous Coquitlam track beat out the beautiful track in North Vancouver and closed it down in it's prime. Even if I DO live in North Van, that track was in a great location for noise and couldn't have been more beautiful.

What's the situation for this track? Any issues with neighbours complaining about 5 o'clock mains of gas truck?
I think you have your fax wrong on the North Vancouver
Track it was closed by the city do to the noise yes the
North Vancouver was a beautiful track and it was
The Randy Shantz Raceway
I donít think its so much about competing with the Coquitlam
Track is more about giving people more places to race and
Play we all hope that the new track does well and that
We can all work together to make racing bigger then
Ever in Greater Vancouver Area
Old 08-23-2005, 11:38 AM
Tech Adept

the north van track was great. I raced there many times over the years. it was small though. I remember taking my thunder tiger mirage pro on that track and driving along that back wall vertical around the boards lol. poor people standing near that fence near died. but for electrics it was a lot of fun. we made the first surrey track to accomodate 8th scale buggies.

fraser valley dirt burners R.I.P.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yes we have had many tracks in the Greater Vancouver area
There was the Richmond track, North Vancouver, Abbotsford,
Surrey, Burnaby Langley tracks and some that Iím forgetting
Most of these were all closed
Do to noise complaints
Old 08-23-2005, 04:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Aphinity
Looks great. Only other question I have is the intention behind the sign posted. Why do you plan to restrict people from using the track outside of the hours posted? Even if insurance dictates this, it doesn't look like it will be easy to enforce. A public track should be a public track, for use whenever you like. Just my humble opinion.

Oh, and on a technical issue...

How many drainage sumps are in the track? We had three, and even that wasn't enough in good ol' Vancouver weather.
The City of New Westminster has only allocated two days for us to run right now. The sign is just so that people know about the times.

In the future, we will be looking at fencing off the area around the track. This will definitely help to restrict use outside of the posted hours.

For now, it's on the honor system. However, we run the risk of losing our priveleges if people run outside of the alotted hours.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Mr Flibble
Yes we have had many tracks in the Greater Vancouver area
There was the Richmond track, North Vancouver, Abbotsford,
Surrey, Burnaby Langley tracks and some that Iím forgetting
Most of these were all closed
Do to noise complaints
We sure hope that won't happen this time around! Things look better for us since our neighbors are the ICBC Salvage Yard and a Sawmill...... neither should have a big problem with RC noise.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:43 PM
Tech Adept

I have lots of contacts inside ICBC if ever needed. My old man was an estimator for years and I did alarm response for them and worked with quite a few investigators and the head office.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service