Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VMAR Secures Sight For Off Road Track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 04:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

I don't think it is a competition between tracks, I think it adds to the variety of where people can run. The two tracks have different schedules (which are requested and enforced by the respective cities the tracks are located).

So far we can run our RC's Tuesday, Friday, Saturday at Coquitlam and Wednesday, Sunday at New Westminister. There should be no reason for not abiding by the schedules.

oh yeah, Almost forgot.....
Riverside Raceway Opening
Old 08-23-2005, 07:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Wintermute
I don't think it is a competition between tracks, I think it adds to the variety of where people can run. The two tracks have different schedules (which are requested and enforced by the respective cities the tracks are located).

So far we can run our RC's Tuesday, Friday, Saturday at Coquitlam and Wednesday, Sunday at New Westminister. There should be no reason for not abiding by the schedules.

oh yeah, Almost forgot.....
Riverside Raceway Opening
We agree 100%! The intent is definitely not to compete with the other tracks. The only competition we're looking for is in the Nitro A-main! We strongly encourage the entire community to support all of the tracks and events in the Lower Mainland.

There are a lot of dedicated people out there that put time and effort into the tracks and events in the Vancouver area. By far the biggest "thanks" we can give them is to get out there and support their efforts by attending all of the different events.

We'll do our part and try to co-operate on scheduling and avoiding conflicting days and events as much as we can. We also invite anyone hosting RC events to let us know and we'll put the events up on the VMAR home page and let everyone know about them.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Exclamation

Sounds like the heart is in the right place. That's awesome. I look forward to a chance to come out and dig some holes (so to speak) with my little menace of a truck again!

I think you have your fax wrong on the North Vancouver
Track it was closed by the city do to the noise yes the
North Vancouver was a beautiful track and it was
The Randy Shantz Raceway
I was actually vice president (more of a non-official title, if you can call it that.. Murray Shore was pres) of the Randy Shantz Raceway, and yes, you're right. It was certainly called that back in it's day, and was contained in MacKay Creek park. You're right.. I should be calling it Randy Shantz, it's just that some people don't remember that name when I say it. *changes signature*

It was not closed exclusively due to noise complaints. We did what we could to deal with those complaints on a case-per-case basis, from houses more than a few miles away up the hill. The track was actually closed by the city because of lack of funding to support the necessary liability insurance that they required us to have. We didn't have that money because certain key people decided to stop suggesting the trip to North Van and instead built the (inferior ) track in Coquitlam. Race fee collection went down with attendance, and certain generous people decided they could no longer front the very large financial burden to keep the insurance flowing. It shut down shortly after, and our new clay surface that we spent months building and sifting and forming, got plowed over before we could even host a large race there.

Small, yes, but I doubt you could find a better 1/10th scale track. I always believed you should build a track for a purpose, not an all-around place that doesn't cater properly to anyone. Am I wrong?

So, in short, yes, it's always been about competition. North Van shut down because of the track in Coquitlam. Selfishly, I almost hope the same happens to Coquitlam thanks to this new track.. hehe.. Did I say that?

Last edited by Aphinity; 08-23-2005 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Finally got a chance today to run some tanks at the new track. Had a blast and can't wait till next weekends race! Super fun layout. Great job guys, the track will only get better next year
Old 09-05-2005, 07:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by SupermaxxRich
Finally got a chance today to run some tanks at the new track. Had a blast and can't wait till next weekends race! Super fun layout. Great job guys, the track will only get better next year
Good stuff! We're glad to hear it.

Get ready for that big race! We want everyone to bring their A game (or B game if you don't have an A game)!

Thanks again to all of the volunteers that built the track, and to everyone that is coming out to support it. We really appreciate the support and hard work.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I was very fond of the Randy Shantz raceway and I came out numerous times to help rebuild it when the final time of rebuilding went around. I thing we took the entire top layer of the track off and bit by bit we sifted all the rocks out and then re-laid the entire surface down. It was a site to see for sure and the track was a treat to run on. I do remember what happened when it was shut down and I was hurt by this as well. If you see Murray still say hello from Rob Sorjonen. I don't see Terry Yeo much anymore but I do still see some of the other guys from back in the day like Wes and Shane.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Talking

Yes the Randy Shantz Raceway was a fun track...I use to make the trip down there quite abit to run(when I was single and no kids) Had some good times racing there and good results too.......ah the memories
Old 09-26-2005, 09:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Race coming up on October the 2nd at Riverside raceway!! Everyone should show, may be the last race before the rain kicks in
Old 10-25-2005, 04:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

So there's all this talk about the North Van track.....well what about the FIRST North Van track????? I bet not many of you remember it eh?? I was there. There's a highway there now.

So on this new fangled track of yours "where's the electric" racing???? I may be in the area next year and would like to re-kindle my fond memories of running electric 2wd buggies. 2 mod perhaps.....ahhhhhh....the good old days.

In the meantime I think I'll just go to the new indoor offroad and onroad track just south of the border.(nitro is welcome there too !!)

Bye for now guys and don't forget to hype the electric offroad cars.

Jim