Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Canadian R/C Scene
How I avoided $41 brokerage fee from UPS!!! >

How I avoided $41 brokerage fee from UPS!!!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BoneCrusher

How I avoided $41 brokerage fee from UPS!!!

Old 04-23-2013, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default How I avoided $41 brokerage fee from UPS!!!

Sent in about a month ago to get my RC4 transponder exchange done (I exchanged 5 transponders) and MyLaps decided to send it back UPS when I know I checked off the USPS option (they have since changed their website to only give UPS as an option).

Got my email last week that my package was coming in this week so I did a little research to hopefully not pay the ridiculous brokerage fee that was coming my way. Found this website: http://trueler.com/2010/11/24/self-c...brokerage-fee/

To summarize, it said I needed:
1. Commercial Invoice (from shipper or UPS)
2. Tracking number (from shipper or UPS)
3. B15 form from CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency)

This is what I did:
1. Got an email from UPS last week that my package was on Ground Transit. Called UPS to ask how much my fee was and they quoted $10.84. I asked are you sure including brokerage fee? They said yes. They said I could clear customs myself if I wanted the Commercial Invoice and they had a department to do that but since it was only $10.84, I said forget about it.
2. UPS attempted first delivery last Friday and left that little sticker note on my front door…..$50.30!!! WTF?
3. Called UPS and double checked the price and they still said $10.84!?!?! So I told them to hold the package for a week for me to pickup at their warehouse on Aero Drive.
4. For backup, I called MyLaps (1-678-816-4000) for an invoice. Lady was very nice. Emailed and faxed it to me too. 2 minutes tops.
5. Showed up Monday to UPS just before they closed (open 8am-7pm M-F) with my Tracking number and when they brought the package out they asked for $50.30. So I said I would like to clear the package myself and the supervisor guy was actually nice to not only tell me the new location and gave me a map too (they moved last week) of the CBSA office (Unit 162, 175 Aero Way N.E. ------Go north from the UPS office, past the Speeders Go Kart place and turn right after a few windy roads) AND he also gave me the shipping invoice from the package too.
6. Went into the CBSA office this morning (open 8am-4pm M-F). Lady was really nice cause I should have had my Commercial Invoice and my little delivery sticker thing from UPS to confirm the package was in Canada. I told her believe me it is as I have the shipping invoice directly from the package that the UPS guy gave me. She said ok, she’ll make an exception, asked me what the value of my package was and my UPS shipping statement said $181.82 (shipping is not included in calculating fees) and told me I only had to pay $9.09. Went to the cashier station, paid my $9.09, got a B15 form, went back to the Lady and she stamped it. Took like 4 minutes.
7. Went to UPS right after (3 minute drive). No lineup. Showed tracking number and B15 form, guy got my package, asked if I wanted my B15 form back, I said yes, he photocopied it and gave me my package with my forms back and I was out of there in 3 minutes. Saved $41!

Here’s what I recommend doing to make it easier cause I kinda had nice people to deal with:
1. When you get your little delivery sticker attempt from UPS, call them (you need your tracking number) and tell them to send you a Commercial Invoice by email / fax / whatever.
2. Show up at CBSA office with Commercial Invoice AND Little Delivery Sticker, pay fees, get B15 form and STAMPED!!!
3. Pick up package from UPS (or whatever shipper you use) with Tracking Number and B15 form. Save money!

Hope that helps everyone save some money when ordering from the states and the shippers uses UPS / FedEx / Puralator!

Ivan
Pharcyed likes this.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks Ivan!!
Old 04-23-2013, 02:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Good info.

or order from china no brokerage fees "if you can"

Last edited by Will61; 04-23-2013 at 02:16 PM. Reason: added text
Old 04-24-2013, 06:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Will61
Shhh.....don't tell anyone
Old 04-25-2013, 03:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I self cleared my transponder package, and saved over $65.

If you have the time, do it. Stick it to UPS. Not that it'll matter to them, but it'll certainly make you feel good :-)
Old 04-25-2013, 04:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Will61
Good info.

Problem is, when ordering from China, you need to triple quantity of the same item.

The first you can toss as soon as you pull it out of the box, because China doesn't speak QA.

The second you can keep around because the 3rd will break soon enough and China doesn't speak Warranty.

Usually after that point I get fed up with the horrific quality that is typically associated with the 'Chinese bargain' and find something more robust, locally.

ymmv of course.

@OP, good tips for handling your own brokerage.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Its good to know for me to order from china no brokerage fees.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Dez
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Thanks Ivan. Just so that everybody knows. This works in Edmonton as well. A few weeks ago someone shipped me something worth $200. I asked for it to be shipped USPS but he shipped it ups instead. When it got to my door they wanted $70 for brokerage/taxes. I refused it at the door and got the delivery slip.

I then followed Ivan's instructions.

1. Called Ups and had the commercial invoice emailed to me (received it within 2 minutes)
2. Went to the CBSA office (located at the airport. I happen to live 15 mins from the airport so no big deal) and got my b15 form and paid $10.
3. Went to Ups and picked up my package (the ups depot happens to be right by where I get supplies for work).

This might not be the most convenient for Edmontonians who live in the North end, but it was definitely worth it to save me $60.

When I picked up my package at ups, they even told me to use Canada post to avoid clearing customs myself.

Thanks Ivan for the tips! I owe you a pop!
Old 02-27-2014, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Big thanks to Ivan for this tip. I recently received a package that ups was asking $45 dollars to clear. Following the instructions above I was able to clear it for $5.

My steps were as follows.
- called ups and asked for the commercial invoice. The second person I talked to knew what I was talking about and promptly email it
- asked the driver of the ups to give me a pickup slip and hold the package at the depot.
- went to cbsa before they closed at 4pm and took the pickup slip and the commercial invoice and paid them gst on the package
- took the b15 form they gave me once I paid to ups and claimed my package
- bought a can of pop for Ivan, then drank it.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:11 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Akhor
Big thanks to Ivan for this tip. I recently received a package that ups was asking $45 dollars to clear. Following the instructions above I was able to clear it for $5.

My steps were as follows.
- called ups and asked for the commercial invoice. The second person I talked to knew what I was talking about and promptly email it
- asked the driver of the ups to give me a pickup slip and hold the package at the depot.
- went to cbsa before they closed at 4pm and took the pickup slip and the commercial invoice and paid them gst on the package
- took the b15 form they gave me once I paid to ups and claimed my package
- bought a can of pop for Ivan, then drank it.
Cool!
Old 02-28-2014, 11:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sometimes you can get the shipper to send it as "warranty" or "samples" and you don't get brokerage fees. Worked for me a couple times.

Last edited by jmracer86; 03-01-2014 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:17 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmracer86
Sometimes you can get the shipper to send it as "warranty" or "samples" and you don't get brokerage fees. Worked for me a couple times.
Don't think http://www.amain.com would do that... But sketchier vendors might.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:00 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Jordan Anderson
Don't think Amain would do that... But sketchier vendors might.
Absolutely. That's why I always work with Amain or W2C for most shipments.