2013/2014 WCICS Official Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 08:51 PM
Tech Master

Default 2013/2014 WCICS Official Thread

Congrats to all the racers from last season, it was our best ever with 6 races and over 1000 registrations!

Already looking forward to another season of racing in Western Canada! As promised, here's the rules, official as of today, giving racers lots of time to prepare for next season.

Firstly, a big thanks to our sponsors:
Great Hobbies-TC Stock Class
Awesomatix TC Mod Class
Novak RC 12th Mod Class
ATD Hobbies-Tamiya Mini Class
Best Western Hotels World GT
Discount Vehicle Rentals
Orion Safety CTA/GT Class
UPS Shipping 12th Stock Class

Starting off with the big news, we've added 2 new races to the schedule, Kamloops and Saskatoon, bringing us up to 8 races!!! Also, it balances out the race schedule across the provinces, with 3 in BC, 3 in AB and 2 in SK. The tentative schedule is (of course everyone has venue booking issues, so this is just an early estimate):

September 27-29th: Ryan Rice-Saskatoon, SK

October 18-20th: Ian de la Salle-NASCAR, Edmonton, AB

November 8-10th: Amber-ATD Hobby, Penticton, BC

December 6-8th: Scott West-Karz, Airdrie/Calgary (TBD), AB

January 10-12th: Blake Bell-IROCC (Victoria) & NRC (Nanaimo RC), Victoria, BC

February 7-9th: Robbie Langley-Fastraxx, Regina, SK

March 7-9th: Jason Mardon-Thompson Valley RC, Kamloops, BC

March 28-30th: Cal Freeman-CarCar, Calgary, AB

NOTE: All races will be using the new AMB/MyLaps RC4 Decoder/Transponder system. This only effects some clone PT's, all AMB/MyLaps old and new PT's will work on the system.

The benefits of this schedule are that it puts the months with double races at the beginning and end of the season, which are hopefully the best months to travel/drive. Also, it is fairly spread out so that there’s at least a month (and usually 2 months) between races in the same province.

The big rule changes fall into 2 categories, race scheduling & pan motors.

Race Weekend Scheduling: Quite simply, we're a victim of our own success. With such large turnouts, the race weekends are getting very, very long! This is hard on the racers, but even harder on the volunteers. Your WCICS reps and exec had lots of discussion and brainstorming on possible solutions, and at the end of the day we decided to follow the same solution that many other big races (IIC, Snowbirds, ETS, ATS, etc) did, we're moving to 5 min race times for everything but 12th scale. Small change, but adds up to well over an hour savings on Saturday alone. Also, as we experimented with in Calgary, we're moving the drivers meeting and concours to Friaday at 9pm. Any major announcements will be posted by the heat sheets for anyone that arrives Sat AM. This will allow qualies to start at approx 9am on Sat, and hopefully make for a more reasonable day.

Pan car motors: Comments the reps heard were that 12 stock shouldn't be a boosted class, as it's the entry class for 12, it should be blinky. We were also running into an issue when compared to ROAR 12 Stock & WGT races, as they have changed to blinky. So we decided to move to blinky as well. The new classes are 12 Stock 13.5 blinky, and WGT 10.5 blinky (basically "WGT Expert"). 12 Superstock is now 12 Mod, with open motor and boost, just like at the big US races (just like TC Mod).

Lastly, due to the huge difficulty of tech, CTA is now open gearing (no more 4.2FDR). It was a great idea, but just way to hard to tech, and really didn't make sense since the motor endbell timing was open anyway.

And that's about it, everything else mostly stays the same. No changes to TC, Mini, or GT.

It's all laid out in the rules, any changes are in bold type.

That's about it for now, I'm off for the summer doing summer stuff, so if you have any questions please ask your club rep. All the club reps were involved in the decisions in the meeting, and can give you any details.

I'm really happy to report all of the club reps and WCICS Exec continue unchanged into this new season, which is great and I think shows how well everything is working in this series!

As always, this is a non-profit series, and everything here is from the hard work of all the volunteers (reps, RD's, tech, WCICS Exec, WCICS Directors, club exec, etc). If you have comments, keep it in mind and be kind!

Have a great summer and we'll see you in October for some great racing!

Josh
WCICS President
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2013 WCICS Rules Small.pdf (469.8 KB, 728 views)

Last edited by IronRing Racing; 01-07-2014 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Updated Race Dates
Old 04-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default 2013 WCICS Round 4 - KARZ Race - Dec 6,7,8 2013

**RACE DATE and VENUE CONFIRMED**

KARZ has secured a MASSIVE Highschool Gymnasium for our December 2013 race!

In response to the overwhelming support we received at last year's event, we have just received confirmation that our 2013 race will be held in Airdrie, AB at the Bert Church Highschool, December 6-8, 2013.

Book it in your calenders NOW.

With practically unlimited space, bleachers for a drivers stand, and our full 48 x 96 Ozite track we are dedicated to putting on a top-level race for our leg of the series.

Here's to a successful 2013/2014 series!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I wish the motors were different:

I don't see a point in 1/12 stock being 13.5 if most people have 17.5 already, and there's a mod class already being offered.

By removing the fdr for vta you should've just made gt class the same. A 21.5 geared to the moon will destroy even a red dot.

Respectfully of course, I understand that the execs have decided this so this post won't matter.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

Default wcics

Originally Posted by R3VoLuTiOn View Post

I don't see a point in 1/12 stock being 13.5 if most people have 17.5 already, and there's a mod class already being offered.

By removing the fdr for vta you should've just made gt class the same. A 21.5 geared to the moon will destroy even a red dot.

Respectfully of course, I understand that the execs have decided this so this post won't matter.
Hey John, just so you are aware, the exec's do not have any voting power for any rules, they are done by each club within the wcics racing, for each club had a wcics rep there and then changes and issues are brought up and voted for by each club rep. whether the execs liked the rule change or not it is done by the reps. maybe talk to your wcics rep and he can explain what happened when that issue came up for voting. good points thou.

brad
Old 04-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

As a VTA racer I like this as there has been no teching on FDR and it would take a long time to tech properly.
Were people abusing the lack of fdr tech? Problem solved.
The USVTA is running 25.5 with open FDR, so this is the right choice by racers.
I will not gear my $100 motor to grenade! a $20 silver can sure, why not! a $60 red dot (only lasts from what I've heard) 1 weekend race anyways....

At least now I can get my motor into the 150-160F range instead of max endbell timing and 110F
Old 04-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'd hoped that the big 1/12 clubs would be the driving force behind the 1/12 rule changes, since it is your bread and butter. If that wasn't the case, well that's unfortunate. Obviously there's never going to be 100% agreement, but I don't think the few of us in Alberta really have super strong opinions.

I think the key point was that 13.5 blinky was found to be very close in speed to 17.5 boosted. Effectively, they're making the change from boost to blinky while keeping similar overall speed. The downside is that a lot of people may need to buy a new motor.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racing wolfpack View Post
Hey John, just so you are aware, the exec's do not have any voting power for any rules, they are done by each club within the wcics racing, for each club had a wcics rep there and then changes and issues are brought up and voted for by each club rep. whether the execs liked the rule change or not it is done by the reps. maybe talk to your wcics rep and he can explain what happened when that issue came up for voting. good points thou.

brad
Thanks, and sorry if any exec's felt I had called them out, I was only referring to the decision makers in this case.

Originally Posted by chongo View Post
As a VTA racer I like this as there has been no teching on FDR and it would take a long time to tech properly.
Were people abusing the lack of fdr tech? Problem solved.
The USVTA is running 25.5 with open FDR, so this is the right choice by racers.
I will not gear my $100 motor to grenade! a $20 silver can sure, why not! a $60 red dot (only lasts from what I've heard) 1 weekend race anyways....

At least now I can get my motor into the 150-160F range instead of max endbell timing and 110F
Agreed, its supposed to be a fun class. However, I feel that the silvercans were just a tad slower than the 21.5 @ 4.2 FDR but the weight advantage helped even things out. This is why I feel its unfair for the GT class to still be stuck with silvercans while 21.5's can go much much faster now.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:00 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
I'd hoped that the big 1/12 clubs would be the driving force behind the 1/12 rule changes, since it is your bread and butter. If that wasn't the case, well that's unfortunate. Obviously there's never going to be 100% agreement, but I don't think the few of us in Alberta really have super strong opinions.

I think the key point was that 13.5 blinky was found to be very close in speed to 17.5 boosted. Effectively, they're making the change from boost to blinky while keeping similar overall speed. The downside is that a lot of people may need to buy a new motor.
John's home Club is OGR.. The Club that has pulled out of the series... IROCC/NRC ( Victoria) are the clubs that have the largest turnout's in 12th scale.. As I was in the room where the decisions happened, I can say a lot of discussion on this matter was tossed around.. a lot.... It was decided that WCICS wanted to maintain the speed of the current class, while also bringing us more in line with ROAR rules... Members from Seattle were also consulted on the matter and the overall consensus was that a motor swap is much easier for them to come race WCICS rather then have to swap speedo's and learn ( blow motors) boost for one weekend. 13.5 motors provide the same speed as 17.5 boosted...

The WCICS rep for OGR was not at the meeting, and did not participate in the live conference call that was setup for reps unable to attend the Friday night meeting, OGR voted via a email.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Tech Master

Hey John, good questions, thanks for asking. The best source of info is always just to talk to your rep, but since there was really only the 2 major rule changes this year I'm happy to give some insight into the rep discussions this year.

The changes to the class lengths is simply because of the huge increase in attendances we had. Every race (except Calgary, which was down) was up at least 30%, with a couple being up 50%! The days were getting too long, and the volunteers were putting in amost 20 hour days! We came to the same decision as all the big races in the US/Europe/Asia (Snowbirds, IIC, ETS, ATS), moving to 5 minute classes. Already this year Vic ended after midnight, and Karz was around 11pm on Saturday! We're simply a victim of our own success, and if attendance increases again this year, we just wanted to be ahead of the issue.

CTA

GT was always intended as the "Catch-all" class, where someone could run an F1 car, a 4wd mini, etc. Also, if there's a class that people want to grow, that's the place for it. Rally the troops, have them run those cars in GT, and if there's eventually enough interest at all the races to run a full WCICS class, then the reps would vote to create the new class. In fact, that's exactly how and where CTA started, and it's grown big enough that it could be it's own class, but there's so few GT cars it's simpler to just leave it combined for now.

So the rules were never intended to be equal between CTA and GT, they're just 2 classes running together. Think of it as LeMan, multiple kinds of cars all running in the same race. The open FDR rule change is simply be cause 4.2FDR was just too difficult to tech.

12th/WGT

It's a perfect example of how two groups with the same objective can honestly come to 2 different answers. B.C. is the center of pan car for WCICS, and a fair number of the racers come up from the US for the BC races. So the objective was to change the rules to a) remove boost to make it an easier beginner pan car class, and b) make it easier for the US/ROAR racers to run. And of course WCICS always tries to follow ROAR as close as possible.

We all agreed to go with 12 Mod. TC Mod has been very successful, and with 12 Mod we're perfectly aligned with ROAR/US.

For 12 stock, ROAR is 17.5 blinky, but everyone agreed they didn't want to go that slow. I've driven that at IIC and it is almost painfully slow. So the options were to stay 17.5 boosted, or change to 13.5 blinky. Some of the clubs had tested, and they are almost exactly the same speed.

Putting yourself in the shoes of a ROAR racer coming up, your options are to take your 17.5 blinky and either a) boost it, b) swap to a 13.5.

The discussion and vote between the WCICS reps was that it was easier to just do a motor swap. Since most of the US is blinky, the feeling was that it was easier to do that, then to learn how to setup boost/turbo. Since they don't run many boost classes anymore, many don't have the USB adapters or software anymore. Remember back to when you first started learning boost, and how difficult it could be, and because they don't run boost that's what a lot of the ROAR racers are facing. The downside is that they need a 13.5.

Victoria had already discussed it with the US clubs, and that was the feedback they received. Just as you said John, we do give heavy weighting to the BC clubs input, as the pan car force is strong with them, just as CTA/Mini/TC is strong in AB & SK and they look to us for leadership.

OGR discussed internally and decided to stay with 17.5 boosted, as they feel that's the better approach, and I can certainly see their point as racers wouldn't have to buy another motor (if they don't already have a 13.5) to run.

OGR wasn't able to call in, but they submitted their votes ahead of time. I don't know if being part of the discussion would have changed anything for them. Neither is a perfect answer, we're both just trying to do the same thing.

I thank OGR for being part of WCICS, helping us grow, and I wish them the best in all of their future racing.

Hopefully that helps everyone understand the rule changes. I was pleasantly surprised to see that most of the classes didn't have any changes, which is optimistically an indication of how good the WCICS classes and rules are!

Josh
Old 04-20-2013, 01:04 AM
Tech Addict

who and when did wcics start? 1992?
Old 04-20-2013, 08:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It started out as the Tri-City Championship some time when I was on the CARCAR exec, so I think that would put it in the 95-99ish time frame. The name was changed to WCICS later when more clubs joined the series.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:16 PM
Tech Master

I had asked the same question several years ago of some of the old timers (no offense Steve, lol), and the most common answer was early 90's; but nobody could agree on the definitive year. So I have been under the impression it's now over 20yrs old.

Josh
Old 04-23-2013, 06:15 PM
Tech Addict

I was talking to a old racer (Larry Zimmerman) and he wrote a few paragraphs for our club history

This is what he wrote.
Originally the WCIC was called the TRI CITIES, just Lethbridge, Calgary and
Edmonton until Regina wanted a leg and it was the Tricities + 1 for awhile. Tricities was updated and changed to WCIC in 2005

just thought I post this and say thanks Larry
Its good to know where we come from.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:58 PM
Tech Master

Thanks!

Does he recall what year Tri-cities first started?

Josh
Old 04-27-2013, 02:17 PM
Tech Master

Default wcics

THE NEW RACE SCHEDULE IS UP ON THE WCICS SITE AND WE ARE JUST WAITING FOR A FEW MORE CLUBS TO HAND IN THERE DAYS. ALSO THE NEW RULES ARE POSTED FOR THE 13,14 SEASON.

THANKS
BRAD

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service