Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Canadian R/C Scene
Cheap Radio recommendation within Canada? >

Cheap Radio recommendation within Canada?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap Radio recommendation within Canada?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 08:37 AM
Tech Addict

Default Cheap Radio recommendation within Canada?

I've seen the Fly Sky recommended as a cheap upgrade to the rtr radio's, but the shipping on it is more than the radio itself, putting it in the $70+ range, and there is always the issue of additional duties.

Can anyone recommend an Ok radio (2.4ghz)with good range from a Canadian seller that comes with a few options? Multiple model memory is required and not $70 receivers is preferred. I am thinking that for $70 plus duties I can get a better radio for the price buying in Canada. I'm also not opposed to buying used, but I know ziltch about radio's and what to look for.

This will be raced at the club level, I'm just not into it enough to drive six hours to the big events.

The range requirement is because we often drag race down the scale airfield to get the dirt off our tires before packing up the cars for the day, and I can't make it all the way down without losing contact.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Post a wanted ad up in the For Sale thread. You should be able to find a decent used radio for that kind of money with a receiver or two....I don't consider the Flysky stuff to be an 'upgrade'.

Look for an entry level sport radio from the big-names like a Spektrum DX2.0, Futaba 2PL/3PL, Airtronics MX-Sport....something along those lines.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Depending where you are buying from, FlySky GT3B or newer variants are your best bang for the money.

Be warned, that they are cheap, but lots of function. I am ok with mine, but it desperately needs a bearing in the wheel.

I usually order these from hobbypartz and its free or $10 shipping.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

For a 2 ch sport radio:
If you want cheap get a used one.
If you want new....
Tactic TTX240 (I have this one), Airtronics MX-Sport (I have this one and race with it. Love it), Spektrum DX2E, or Futaba 3PRKA.

For the money, features and investment I would go with the Futaba 3PRKA or the Airtronics.
Downside with Airtronics is that the receivers are a bit expensive.

If you go with the Spektrum, you can buy $10 receivers or less from Hobbyking. But the DX2E is not multiple memory.

The Futaba isn't multiple memory either. Nor is the Tactic TTX240.

So out of my list, the Airtronics is the closest one that fits your bill. Oh yeah I can drive my car with my Airtronics radio until it's a tiny dot. The range is pretty good.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I love my DX3c and it works wonderfully with those $9 hong kong receivers.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:01 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by R3VoLuTiOn
Depending where you are buying from, FlySky GT3B or newer variants are your best bang for the money.

Be warned, that they are cheap, but lots of function. I am ok with mine, but it desperately needs a bearing in the wheel.

I usually order these from hobbypartz and its free or $10 shipping.
My shipping quote from hobbypartz was over $30. That plus the risk of duties make the shipping cost more than the Transmitter.

I put out a reply in the for sale thread yesterday to take a look for a used one, but no PM's yet.

Thanks for the ideas guys, it gives me an idea of which radios to google.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Personally I'd stick with a big name like Futaba or Spektrum.

Great Hobbies has a free shipping promotion on right now so you don't have to worry about shipping:
http://www.greathobbies.com/enews/20121115/

The 3PL has multiple model memory and is pretty decent.
http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...od_id=FUT3PL24

I know it's more than you're looking to spend but a good radio will last you a long time.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:07 AM
Tech Addict

That Futaba is a little more than I wanted to spend,but it is in the right ballpark. The biggest barrier is that a 2nd receiver is $50 and isn't stocked by Great Hobbies so I would have to order it additionally from somewhere else.