Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Canadian R/C Scene
2005 Canadian Asphalt Invitational >

2005 Canadian Asphalt Invitational

2005 Canadian Asphalt Invitational

Old 02-23-2005, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default 2005 Canadian Asphalt Invitational

There has already been a number of people asking about this race, so i am opening up this thread to keep people informed. The date for this race is tentatively August 19 -21, 2005 but I am waiting to hear back from, AE, Losi, Kyosho and X-Ray to see if those dates work for their team drivers and if they will be able to send some Top-Guns out this year!!

As soon as I have confirmation from at least one team I will open the website for pre-registration. There will be two sections to indicate who has registered for the race...a payed list and a non-payed list. The people who pay up front will be guaranteed a spot for the race and for the others, they can see their name on the site but come race time it will be first come first served for any remaining spots...if there will be any...and I doubt there will as details of the race are released!!!

The classes are the same as last year, 1/8 gas open, 1/10 gas .12 open T.C., 1/10 T.C. Electric mod and 19 turn.

As more details come to light I will post them here and on the website, when it is open.

Yours truly,

John Hughes
Old 02-23-2005, 08:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Web site will be up tomorrow. Its finished I just have to get it over to the host service.

Last year a few people mentioned they would like to run foams in all classes rather than fix rubber and foam ... whats the verdict?

Also - some people wanted an alternative hotel to the Travelodge... I'll talk to the Excecutive Royal Inn (I think thats the name) - same place we used for the nats in 2001.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Website is up:
http://www.edmontonrc.com/cai
Old 02-23-2005, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default JJ

It might be good for you to post on the "racing" thread or" track locator" thread. Lets get the word out.
If there is anything that I can do......let me know.
Thanks....Dwayne
Old 02-23-2005, 10:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I love the smell of nitro in the morning!
Old 02-24-2005, 05:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Problem

Isn't that the same date as the WCORCS off road race in Red Deer?? A conflict?
Old 02-24-2005, 07:18 AM
Hov
Tech Apprentice

Default Red Deer Conflict

The dates do conflict.

CAI asked WCORCS to switch. They said no. CAI won't switch. WCORCS won't switch...

Hov
Old 02-24-2005, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Default Race Date

As I said earlier, this is the tentative date for the race. It may change to accomodate one or more Team drivers from the States if we need to. If we don't need to change we wont. I plan on this event growing into the largest on-road race in Canada and we need to keep consistant to do that. I realize that we are in conflict with the Red Deer leg of WCORS but as mentioned in Hov's post, I asked the WCORS directors if they could change the date of the Red Deer race and they wouldn't...and to their defense they are trying to run a 6 race series accross Western Canada and they need to concern themselves with spacing of their own races.

The CAI is unique in that it is the largest event of it's kind in Western Canada on a permanent track. We don't conflict with other on-road events and we hope to become "the" race to come to.

It is a bummer that some guys race on and off road but as in all other aspects of life decisions need to be made and guys are going to have to chose which race, on these dates, they most want to attend.

As more details about this race unfold I believe I know where I would chose to be!!

John Hughes
Old 02-24-2005, 10:11 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Thats a tough call to make for some, as a sereis is involved for the off roaders.

Would it not be easier to switch to a open date now before people make a decsion ( one or the other?)

Off road is gaining huge steam and I think this is going to be the best year yet, why limmit the entries of both?

Last years race was wash, and to be honest every race you have held in August/Sept has had rain and even snow one time LOL

Maybe a date that is more towards the middle of summer would be a better draw? July?

Conflicting with a growing series in Canada hurt #'s in general.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Korgae,
If you want to get into an R/C race series logistics discussion give me a call...you know my number! My concern is to put on the best on-road race in Canada and I feel that by offering our racers a chance to race with the best in the world, aka Barry Baker or the like is what I am prepared to change the date for and nothing else. We have had a dismal couple of weather years for sure, but this weekend was picked because statistically it is by far the dryest weekend of the year in Edmonton...according to Environment Canada.

I take exception to your comment that last years race was a wash...all the racers that attended said that even with all the rain...and there was a lot of rain that it was a fantastic weekend and they would be returning next year for sure. You certainly can't predict the weather 6 months ahead of time but you do your best...you know that...you live in the land of perpetual rain!!

Now, if Canada RC stepped up by bringing a driver up from X-Ray USA to compete with the Best X-Ray boys of Edmonton and arguably Canada that would be fantastic!! Can you make that happen Mr. K.??!!
Old 02-24-2005, 10:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

The CAI date was set at the end of the race last year... and John is right, statistically that is a good weekend and we just had bad luck last year. I don't recall bad luck other years. We did have rain in 2001 but we were able to get all the racing in. Our WCORCS rep knew about our date and RD ended up on that weekend and that is just fine. We don't have a ton of overlapping drivers and we have a limited number of weekends.

I need some feedback:

1. Should we run foam tires in all classes or should we run rubber in electric like last year? Some poeple did not like mixing the two.

2. The schedule I have posted is a lot different from last year. Take a look and let me know if you think its good or not...

Last edited by chammond; 02-25-2005 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:05 AM
Tech Elite

Chris,
On the main page of the site it still says August 19-21, 2004.
Could you please make this one last change and once again thanks for the work you put in already and all the work you'll put in before all is said and done!!! lol
John
Old 02-24-2005, 11:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'll fix that tonight - I can't fix it from here... have to edit the graphic.

The site will get a bunch more work on it in the next few days... this is just a quicky one to gett he word out.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Chris Hammond is the man!!
Old 02-24-2005, 11:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

If anyone has pictures or video from last years race, please let me know. I'd like to dres sup this years site with some, add a gallery from last year, change the banner etc...

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service