The "Big Race"

Old 02-22-2005, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default The "Big Race"

I want to hear some ideas about organizing a race weekend that we would be able to get a big turnout, 100+ entries???
I think that we could organize an event for early fall, maybe Oct.
The race could be ran indoors on a carpet track as to avoid bad weather problems. Another idea is to hold the race in central Canada somwhere......Regina??? The facility was really good and the carpet is like new, plus the gym floor is super smooth. Just an idea. Any thoughts on another location??? It would be good to atract racers from the east and the west aswell as racers from the US.
Post your thoughts here and lets see what we can come up with.
Thanks........Dwayne
Old 02-22-2005, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Yea like a big canadain race , to get alot of people from everywere. i would be up to help in anyway i could.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:31 PM
Tech Regular

Hey Guys, Steve Weins from Hi performance and I are working on that right now. We use to put on a big race in april which we brought up a guest factory Driver. The race went for 8 years I think. Are biggest turnout was 157 entries. We've had Mark Pavitis, Billy Easton, Mike swagard. to name a few come up. We're looking at putting this on in November. We wanted to have it in april but can't find a facility. I already have a corporate sponsor to pay for trophies, and entries will pay for the driver and whatever is left over will be donated to Cystic Fibrosis fondation. So there will be no profit for anyone for this. There will be no club aviliated with this race. But we hope to get help from all the clubs around here for the equipment for the race.

We'll keep you posted.

Dave
Old 02-22-2005, 10:07 PM
Tech Elite

Default Cool

Allright! At least there is interest. I will do what ever it takes to help out. The biggest issue would be the location. If there is allready an event in the works I will support it and try to promote it in any way that I can. I am still leaning towards a central location, but whatever works I will go with it.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:19 PM
Tech Elite

Yea central would be better to get people from both sides of the country and the middle. but on the other hand to get alot of people from across canada alot of people will have to fly so i guess it almost doesnt matter were. I will help no matter were it is we have the new amb to do personal transponders if needed.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:08 AM
Tech Elite

Default Loved the Abbotsford race!

It was a shame when the Abbotsford race was no more. It was the highlight of the season and brought peopel from all over Western Canada to compete and to race toe-toe with a big namer from the States.

It also brought larger entries to all the events leading up to the race as everyone wanted as many chances as possible to see just how they matched up.

November is a little early for me, still getting used to the carpet stuff after a long summer of Offroad.

I will be there either way!
Old 03-01-2005, 09:25 PM
Tech Elite

Default Canadian Champion????

Who would you guys consider as the "Canadian Champion"?
The reason for my interest in a big race that would attract racers from all across Canada would be to get ALL the top drivers at one venue at the same time. The Canadian Ashphalt Invitational put on by the Edmonton club NASCAR (Edmonton RC) in the summer is a very good start and would definately be the top notch outdoor ashphalt race to gather the top drivers into a great racing weekend. How do we get more publicity to get more people to attend? I know JJ mudd(John Hughes) in Edmonton is doing all he can to make this the race not to miss, but more help in getting the word out would only benefit this event. This would be a great chance for some top notch competitors to show their stuff. The track is awesome. You can check it out at edmontonrc.com
More opinions needed. Maybe an outdoor series to mirror the WCIC series would work aswell. I know the Surrey boys are racing all summer long and I think the Kamloops club would be into having an outdoor ashphalt event also. Just thinking out loud to try and spark some more interest into competitive rc racing.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks........Dwayne Flodell
Old 03-06-2005, 11:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

it sounds good to me. i probably wouldnt be able to help much but i would most likely attend if it was in either edmonton, calgary and of corse, regina.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I really enjoyed the Abbotsford race when Pavidis was there...very early in my R/C experience!!

I think that there are two types of races that get people travelling: series races, like the WCICS and big/one off races like the Abby race or what I am trying to do with the CAI.

One of the things I think we need to be carefull of is working together to make RC racing work, because we are really a small community of guys and too much of a good thing could in actuallity hurt the sport.

Here are a couple examples of what I mean:
1. The 2005 CAI is in conflict with the Red Deer WCORS because of poor communication and could affect turn out at both events
2. In one of the above posts, Dave talks about running a big/one off race in November but that is when the first WCICS race is held in Edmonton.

I could go on but you get the point. Don't get me wrong either...I love both the series race and the one off races, because like you guys I love to see the fast guys run and I like to race more guys that are at my level (makes me work harder to be better). I just think that we really need to take into consideration the races that are happening already and work together to make this sport more attractive to more people and if we end up with too many races to go to, atendance will be down for all of them.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:58 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Canadian Champion????

Originally posted by tandman
Who would you guys consider as the "Canadian Champion"?
Martin Crisp is the ROAR Canadian Champion Mod Electric and Craig Miller is the ROAR 1/10 gas Champion. There are guys who are just as fast as both of these guys though, both out east and here in the west.

There hasn't really been a true National race since the one in 2001.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:38 PM
Tech Regular

Jon.....It sound like your saying that no one else should try and have a big event. ( maybe I'm reading this wrong) With the W.C.I.C.S. They race one a month for the carpet season. I wouldn't plan on putting the race on when another race is one. But the weekend that were thinking about is part of a big train and hobby show. I don't get a choice on the date. Just on a side note I think it is late october.

Then we get into outdoor season, and there is the off road series that takes up most of the longweekends. What if someone wants to have a big pavement race.

We would like to get the abby big race going again, and make it bigger than it was. We had that race I think 6 years in a row. When we had it, everyone got a prize. Trophys were for top 8 in the a-main and top 3 all the way back the the D-main.

Dave
Old 03-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

trophy all the way down to the D , hey even i got a shot at some hardware count me in

Oh heck who am i kidding toss a pilon on the road with an amb and i will show up to race
Old 03-09-2005, 09:37 PM
Tech Elite

Dave, you are misreading my post, I think you're still bitter about the length of time you had to wait to get your $150.00 for your TQ and win at the last CAI!!! lol I think that a race series is great and big races are great. The problem that I see happening is that there might be so many races to go to, all might suffer in attendance. If you look at the guys that travel to races now, we really are quite a small group that live a huge area...B.C. to Saskatchewan. It is not like the U.S. where you have the entire population of Canada living in a State the size of California.

Like I said in my previous post, the Abby race was one of the first big races I ever went to and I loved it. It was very well run and I had a great time. I just think we really need to work together so we don't cut each other off at the knees. As far as conflicts between on and off road and guys trying to do both, it's a bummer but inevitable, as some guys run both and there are only so many weekends in the year, as you so astutely pointed out.

So in summary:
1) Work together to make sure On Road Races ( big or series) don't conflict with one another.
2) Try to not conflict with Off Road Races if possible.

John Hughes
Old 03-09-2005, 09:39 PM
Tech Elite

Default Racing

John, I just want to race. That is why I drive over 2 hours to club race with you guys friday nights. I want to support your event in any form that I can. The CAI had huge potential last year and even more this year....rain sucks!!! Any invites out to Martin Crisp?
My point exactly about the national champion....2001? I have been racing for just over a year and never heard anything about a true sanctioned event for a national championship. Every one has great ideas and I am with you about having too many races to go to......lets see.....Regina feb 18-20, Kamloops Feb 25-27, Edmonton club race the next friday, Calgary club race on sunday, and now this weekend the Calgary WCIC race . Keep it coming I just want to race.....I am even going to the Carpet Nationals in Vegas in sept!
Have fun boys and good luck to all this weekend in Calgary!
Dwayne Flodell
Old 03-09-2005, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Dwayne....ROFLMAO...you are out of control dude!!! You need RC annonymous!!!

"Hi, my name is Dwayne and I drive an XRAY!!!" hahahaha

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service