Remembering the earlydays of racing >

Remembering the earlydays of racing

Like Tree9Likes

Remembering the earlydays of racing

Old 02-21-2005, 09:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Remembering the earlydays of racing in BC

Post your favorite old stories of racing here. Im sure we all have a few.

The very first r/c car race I remember? I must have been 8 or 9 years old, my dad used to take me to the Motorama's, Rod & Customs car shows back in the late 70's. There was a group of guys racing Cox .049 power Jerobee cars (1/12 scale?) I thought they were the coolest things ever! The nitro/castor oil smell that came off was awsome. I wanted one sooo bad, but $300 was too much money for a "toy car" back then.
It wasnt until 1986 when I finally got into racing when I went to Mike Tapps track in Aldergrove. The day I showed up there I had a perma-grin! That was the beginning of the adrenalin addiction.
Now if I could get my scanner working...I have tons of pics of that track.
I think it was also in 86, at the BC place hobbyshow. Wes and I rented a video camera and we recorded the off road race. Remember the Tamiya sponsored driver driving a....Bigwig?...lol. Him and the rest of us got crushed by that group of racers from WA state. One of them was Pete (forget the last name) who later went on to the 1987 offroad worlds in England, (where he placed 71st overall for you trivia buffs).
First car I bought, a Bolink 1/12, never raced it though. Next a Subaru Brat, then a Samari, then finally a real car to race, an Optima.

Ren, I went to that Calgary race! I have a little video of it somewhere around here. Wasnt too memorable for me, made both A mains, no podium

So guys tell us your early memories of the first race you seen.

Last edited by kamlooper; 05-16-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well let me see , my first experience with a real RC (not rad shack) was at a small track across the border near Splashdown Waterpark 17 years ago when I kept buggin my mom for a dollar at a time to rent one of the cars there and run this cool buggy around a dirt track. I was 14 years old then and I was hooked.
I got a Marui Big Bear given to me as a gift by one of my dads friends as my first real RC. I eventually burned out the stock MSC and was looking to buy a new one when I was 15 and it just so happened at the time I lived in East Van close to Silverwing Hobbies. Connie told me about a hobby show that was going on just over on the PNE grounds and there was all kinds of rc's there. Well I had just painted my first body for my Big Bear ( a VW Beetle with a couple of candy colors Red and dark purple I think) and I went to the show to get some tips. The first guy I met there who helped me in this hobby was Bernie Casey. He offered me a few tips and even sold me my first ESC A Victor esc with black aluminum case and round heatsink (he gave me a good deal for the time considering what it was and what I paid)I don't remember exactly but I think I got it for $25 it was one of his old used ones. He probably didn't know at the time but he helped to create a monster. Now I have had up to 10 rc's at one time in my garage all in working order (down to 6 now ) and he is one of the guys I thank for being a mentor and being a nice helpfull guy to a total newbie. If not for that and I had met some jerk who blew me off I may have never even considered the hobby.
Einsman likes this.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Hey Kamlooper.... I was at that race in 86, placed 3rd in the off road open class. I drove a bright yellow Yokomo Dogfighter and my wife handed out Tamiya stickers in the pits. Man that was a long time ago.......
Old 02-22-2005, 10:00 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Sounds we should first expose the "legends" or old timers of R/C In Canada.

BC Old timers:

Bernie, Wes, Mike Tapp, Jerry Koga, Milt, Fife, Arson, R/C Steve, Gerry ( cant remeber his last name) Ron Halford, Ian Chesterton, Randy Shanz (RIP) Grant, Pete, Lee, Richard Porta, Branson?? What was his name? Mike Gardner, Alen, John Ha, Mike Savoir,

Who is still active? who do you remember?

Rob, I practiced at the track, We have a campground just up the hill, I use to go to that little track every summer. ( the shop had a ton of Hotrick ) stuff.

My first race was @ Bermbusters, I raced my JRX2 in Novice, Met a good friend that day who was also racing for the 1st time ( Clayton Petree) over the 3 qualifyers, it was back and forth between Clayton and myself for TQ, He ended up winning the main by a corner.. ( remember...Horn Blow...Stop your cars..) LOL primitive lap counting but so much fun.

For me, I have no question if it wasnt for the above mentioned I would not be where I am today.. Thanks goes out to all the old timers.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:06 PM
Tech Adept

Horn blow, stop your cars...awesome!!! Forgot all about that, too funny We should try it again for old times sake, maybe in the W.C.O.R.C.S. this year, j/k LOL!
Old 02-24-2005, 03:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yeah, that would be fun now eh?, I think I remember Dirt Crashers had this nice board with manual hand counters mounted on it.... press the button down for every lap a certain car would go by. High tech lap counting Pre-AMB.LMAO
Old 02-24-2005, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Yep! We used to have 2 counters at the races. One person would call the car number when they went by the start/finish line and the other person would write a tick on the paper beside the persons name as they went by. Then we moved up in style and recorded the total laps on a computer instead of writing them down. We even got better results cause when the horn sounded you stopped and we had the track marked into 4 quarters with flags. So you got whatever laps plus 3/4 of a lap if you made it to the third flag. If more than one car made it past the flags the car that was ahead would win the race or position it was fighting for.

I've still got the video of the famous "Dash For Cash" mud race at Williams Lakes last race they ever had. That was hilarious.

Oh the memories.....chain drive gas trucks!

Old 02-24-2005, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

My first real race that I remember was the M&M Challenge race here in Calgary. I was running my Grashopper. My dad had just moved up from the Futaba FX10 to the brand new Gold Pan RC10. The race was in the parking lot of a Safeway, not too far away from where the current track is right now. The race was put on by Don Johnson, of, then it was Cygnet hobbies, now it's Model Land. That must have been 1985 or 86. It was a riot for a 5 or 6 year old kid. I got my butt kicked but I did just find the hat that all the competitors get. Nice bright Pink. Gotta love the 80's.

Then I got out of it. I ended up just getting back into it this year. That's upwards or 20 years of being away from this stuff.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:01 AM
NRG
Tech Apprentice

Scott, the M&Ms challange was a good time back in the day. I am sure however that it took place in 1991, Also you are right about Don putting on the race with Cygnet hobbies, but they did not turn into Model Land. Don just happens to now work at Model Land. Btw I had a good battle that day with RPM in 2wd stock
Old 02-24-2005, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

OK, I am mixed up on dates. I thought it was alot earlier.

And I know Cygnet didn't turn into Model Land. Don just works there now. I guess I just worded it wrong.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:11 PM
Tech Elite

Blasts from the past. Heres a bunch of regulars to the Tapp track in the 80's.

Jamie Lovrich
Jim Hillier
Sean & Dean Fogg
Gerry Smith
Morris Harris
Sheldon Eggan
Rod Hazelwood (+brother)
Gordon+ Danny Lumb
Bill DeHaan
Rudy & Rod Chong
Old 03-14-2005, 09:35 PM
Tech Adept

You can add me to that list as well! I was also at the Orange Crush sponsered races at BC place! What about the mud pit race at the plaza of nations? Anyone else remember that one!! They brought in all the saw dust to try and dry up some of the mud! What a hoot! I still have the video somewher from that one! Does anyone from the Tapp farm days remember a guy named Andre, the french guy from the CFB in Chilliwack or Stan, the guy who used to show up in the primered Camero also from the Base! Have them on video and always wondered what happened to them! Hobby Hive was another good memory! Still have a shirt from way back then!
Old 03-15-2005, 12:20 AM
Tech Elite

Ya I remember the plaza race, it was yours truly who brought the sawdust....all the way from Abbotsford It helped the track for about 4 races, then the mud came through again. That race was such a disaster. Remember the "promoter"? Debbie, if Im not mistaken. It was a nice cash grab.....for her! A few years later she asked me to do another race, of course I told her where to go.
The names Andre and Stan ring a bell, I cant place a face to the names.
How about the old barn races? Some of those were a lot of fun. It was either myself or Wes looked into renting the barn by his place in Aldergrove on 248th st. The first season we hosted them we had people from all over....like 100 entries! Middle of winter, we wanted to race.....
I miss those days.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:51 PM
Tech Addict

Some of the 'Old Skool' racers from Alberta that I started racing with almost 20 years ago...

Doug Rodenbusch..race promoter extrondinaire
Ricky Lam... Combo Hobbies
Terry and Randy Yeo... fast and faster!
Todd Hiebert
Reg Reimer...THE tuner in the pits
Don Johnston...forgot more than most of us will ever know about R/C
Dean Simpson
Ian & Doug DeLasalle...still at it after all these years..
Jim Juhaus...the original "Lexan GOD"
Hartley Brown...Mr. R/C in Edmonton for a loooong time (RIP)
Dave Mulatz
Clayton Watmough & Anthony Cools...Tean Funk!
Wayne Babkirk
Terry Schnell
Bill Tobias

Some of the racers that started when I did way back when...

Dave & Colin Herbert
Peter Tozser
The Carrol Clan
Stuart Gillies
Roy & Steve Soon
James Hollinger
Navaz Walji
Steve Tang
Jim Chapman
Richard Mucha
Ken King...Concept 1 VW
Curtis Dell
Nadim Jessa
Terry Dixon

Most of these guys are still involved in the Hobby in one way or another. Some have moved through other cities but all were (and some still are!) a vital part of this hobby.

A lot of the guys above started out racing @ ProTrax in the late '80's and got really fast, really quickly (racing 3 times a week can do that...). My dad is still looking for an opportunity to open another indoor race track. ProTrax was way too much fun back in the day and you never know...indoor offroad R/C just might come back to Calgary some day...

Last edited by BuddhaTech; 03-15-2005 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:00 AM
Tech Elite

Terry Yeo moved to Vancouver about 10 years ago. I remember him telling me his brother went missing. Anyone hear much more about that?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service