Like Tree6Likes

N.a.s.c.a.r

Old 03-02-2013, 09:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Default March.01 Club Race Results are posted

I have been insanely busy at work the last few months which is why I have been having trouble keeping the points and results up to date at:

http://points.edmontonrc.info

The results are up to date to March 01st and I will try to get the points caught up when I can.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Default 3 Qualifier rounds or 2 ??? - Club Racing Topics

Last night was my first time running a race night and all was fine but I wanted to bring up a few things:

(1) Will Stranks has club transponder number 6. I was rushed last night to get things going as it was my first time RDing (as I was actually filling in at the last minute) so I didn't ask drivers for their keys. However I should have and if anybody knows how to get a hold of Will, please remind him to bring the transponder back next week.

(2) If you choose the same club transponder number each week, then the race computer remembers you. Otherwise we have to do the whole, one driver goes over the line at a time at the beginning of the races, to check everybody in with their transponders. I kept a list of what drivers had what club transponder numbers last night and I will bring it next week for Mandie or whomever is RDing (if it isn't me).

(3) I had a few people come up to me not happy we were only running 2 qualifier rounds. First, that is not my decision but a good point was brought up it should be a club vote. Here is the reality of that; not many drivers want to be racing until 2am.

In fact we were done last night 30 minutes earlier than the prior Friday. I know because we didn't get into our van last week (Feb.22nd) until 1:10am and the track didn't even have to be torn down.

Last night each round took 90 minutes and we need to get to 70 minutes plus start earlier.

Again, I don't make the decisions on the number of qualifier rounds but if you want 3 rounds, this is what (I think) has to happen to finish racing by 12:30am and be out of the hanger by 1am:

(a) First race is PROMPTLY started at 7:20pm. So registration closes at 7pm, and drivers meeting at 7:05pm or so.

(b) Qualifiers for all classes except 1/12th need to be 5 minutes, not 6.

(c) 1 minute between races. No mercy minutes.

(d) We keep the races going whether we have marshals or not. If you want a marshal for your race then make sure you get out there to marshal the races you are supposed to.

If Mandie or Joe think differently, go by whatever they say. Perhaps they know a better way to squeeze in 3 qualifier rounds.

All this is just my 2 cents. So any change on starting times and things would have to come from Joe the club President.

Last edited by DarrenH; 03-02-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Arrow

Originally Posted by DarrenH
These batteries listed below are good for for TC. Hard case, and light. Some may argue 3200Mah is a little low in Mah for TC but it isn't. A 6 min. race Austin puts through ~1900Mah including the warm-up. We charge after every run so as long as you do not go beyond 80% discharge you are fine (try even to go no higher than 70% and 3200Mah - 30% is 2240). A higher discharge rating would be nice, but 20C will be fine for you. The TC4 is a great car. It is a bit heavy so the battery is a good place to save weight to improve handling and performance.

https://www.greathobbies.com/product...d=TGHC32002C20

This is the battery Austin runs in TC:
https://www.greathobbies.com/product...d=TGHC40002C35

This is the battery Austin runs in Mini:
https://www.greathobbies.com/product...od_id=ORI14157

Mini:
If you end up running Mini, the 3200Mah is lots. Austin runs a 2500Mah because a Mini heat only puts through ~1200Mah in a 6 minute heat.
Okay thanks for the info Darren. hopefully next season i will be joining the class of minis

Last edited by Schs2013; 03-02-2013 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 03-02-2013, 03:43 PM
Tech Adept

I have been insanely busy at work the last few months which is why I have been having trouble keeping the points and results up to date at:

http://points.edmontonrc.info

The results are up to date to March 01st and I will try to get the points caught up when I can.
I appreciate the update and think we all understand about being busy at work..

Jon
Old 03-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Dez
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Will Stranks apologizes and will bring the transponder back this coming Friday. He told me to put a redemption post on here on his behalf. He is a really nice guy and him and his son are having fun. This Friday was only his second time out. He doesn't even have a charger yet for his Lipo so I'm charging his battery for him between races.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Dez
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Here are my 2 cents about # of qualifiers and mains.

I truly believe that we can run 3 x 5 min qualifiers and the mains if the following happens:

1. We start earlier. Doors open at 6pm and there are usually the same 5 people helping set up the track. Joe wasn't here yesterday so it took extra long because only a few of us were helping with the set up. Looking out into the pit area there must have been 30 plus people chatting away when in reality the set up would have been twice as quick with more hands. I'm not one to point fingers because the same can be said about tear down. The only time I have ever stayed for tear down is at our own Wcics race because it was in the evening. I have a 7 year old son and mom wants him home as early as possible, so we make a point every single week to come right at 6pm and help set up the track and then set up our pit station after the track is built. If people are complaining that there are only 2 qualifiers, then this is one thing that can be done to speed things up to start on time.

2. 30 secs in between races - NO Mercy minutes. This means you drop your car at the tables IMMEDIATELY after your race and take your marshall spot. I was the one to suggest to Joe to put that table there to start this process but I still see people take their car back to their pit spots and sometimes not come back.

3. Be ready for your next race and waiting with your cars before the previous race is finished. Then take a maximum of 2 practice laps so that the qualifiers can start right away. It helps to wipe the traction compound off of your tires at your pit spots before getting to the track so that you aren't sliding around the track on your first lap.

4. The RD has to be the "bad guy". By "bad guy" I mean you have to have the guts to run a tight schedule and to start the race even if not all the racers are there and checked in (after all they should have been ready on the side waiting right?). This is probably one of the reasons Mandie is not so keen on RDing anymore is people will complain about stuff like this and take it out on the RD. But the reality is that "you snooze, you lose". I guarantee that if a race starts without you because you were chatting or dilly dallying that the next time you are gonna be ready because you don't want it to happen again. I would like to eventually learn the computer, I even took the mic for the first time last night. It would be tough for me to RD a whole night cause I have fatherly responsibilities as my son is the youngest there and I have to watch him. But him and I can definitely learn the computer together over time.

5. Don't bother with the resorts until the mains. The good drivers will complain about this because they are gonna be mad if they get stuck in with the drivers that are unpredictable and all over the place. Well, I say "too bad" If you are really that good of a driver then you will be able to stay fairly consistent and drive around traffic. I bet you that Wayne would be in the A main every single time no matter who he's running the qualifiers with. My first time out to the track I think I accidentally hacked him out 3 times in one qualifier and did it again in the next and I think he still TQ'd. I didn't know better.

6. If you don't marshal, you don't race the next heat. There are racers that just won't marshall. If you don't, then you don't race....simple as that. I know that there are situations if you are racing back to back etc...but then just find a volunteer beforehand or check with the RD earlier to see if there will be enough marshals. If your car is completely broken and you need to get it fixed, there are enough people that you can find a volunteer. Heck, even find a kid, a kid would probably light up at the opportunity that an adult asked him/her to do something very important.

The reality is that in most clubs and organizations, 5% of the people do 90% of the work. Thank you Joe for volunteering your time and efforts to keep this club going. I value all of the work that you put it. Also thank you club members for making this club happen. My son and I have finally found something regular that we like to do together and he lights up when Friday comes around. And what a way to teach a child technology, responsibility, and for him to be able to interact with adults on a weekly basis. And thank you club members for generally having good language without f-bombs out loud in front of my kid. Hopefully we'll stick with this hobby for a while.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

no mater the amount of quailfers i will still run let the people who are unhappy be unhappy. and those who are there like me for fun will not mind.
and i will show up early if i have to to help set up pit area's while others work on the track no matter if i am a solo to set up pits. after all i will volunteer and be there early as i can and set as much as possible(help is always welcomed )
let me know a head of time and i will find a way to the track and help set up!

we all use the track we all have a part to do!
Old 03-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Last night was my first time running a race night and all was fine but I wanted to bring up a few things:

(1) Will Stranks has club transponder number 6. I was rushed last night to get things going as it was my first time RDing (as I was actually filling in at the last minute) so I didn't ask drivers for their keys. However I should have and if anybody knows how to get a hold of Will, please remind him to bring the transponder back next week.

(2) If you choose the same club transponder number each week, then the race computer remembers you. Otherwise we have to do the whole, one driver goes over the line at a time at the beginning of the races, to check everybody in with their transponders. I kept a list of what drivers had what club transponder numbers last night and I will bring it next week for Mandie or whomever is RDing (if it isn't me).

(3) I had a few people come up to me not happy we were only running 2 qualifier rounds. First, that is not my decision but a good point was brought up it should be a club vote. Here is the reality of that; not many drivers want to be racing until 2am.

In fact we were done last night 30 minutes earlier than the prior Friday. I know because we didn't get into our van last week (Feb.22nd) until 1:10am and the track didn't even have to be torn down.

Last night each round took 90 minutes and we need to get to 70 minutes plus start earlier.

Again, I don't make the decisions on the number of qualifier rounds but if you want 3 rounds, this is what (I think) has to happen to finish racing by 12:30am and be out of the hanger by 1am:

(a) First race is PROMPTLY started at 7:20pm. So registration closes at 7pm, and drivers meeting at 7:05pm or so.

(c) 1 minute between races. No mercy minutes.

(d) We keep the races going whether we have marshals or not. If you want a marshal for your race then make sure you get out there to marshal the races you are supposed to.

If Mandie or Joe think differently, go by whatever they say. Perhaps they know a better way to squeeze in 3 qualifier rounds.

All this is just my 2 cents. So any change on starting times and things would have to come from Joe the club President.
I think you nailed it Darren, these suggestions are great.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Arrow

Originally Posted by Kane-o
I think you nailed it Darren, these suggestions are great.
I agree!
Old 03-03-2013, 12:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I agree with all but two points...

b) There should be some consistency between the WCICS series and our club races. If someone is geared for 5 minutes, their game changes when they travel. If your cutting time between to one minute, this would be easily accomplished.

d) No one has fun waiting for 3 laps on their lid because someone decided they didn't want to do their job... People shouldn't suffer for other peoples ignorance. I say no marshal no race (for the rest of the evening). If you have a valid reason to skip marshaling, walk by the RD and let them know. If someone is caught skipping, give them their race fee back and take them out of the system. I guarantee everyone will do their marshaling duties.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:21 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by SkaterX
I agree with all but two points...

b) There should be some consistency between the WCICS series and our club races. If someone is geared for 5 minutes, their game changes when they travel. If your cutting time between to one minute, this would be easily accomplished.

d) No one has fun waiting for 3 laps on their lid because someone decided they didn't want to do their job... People shouldn't suffer for other peoples ignorance. I say no marshal no race (for the rest of the evening). If you have a valid reason to skip marshaling, walk by the RD and let them know. If someone is caught skipping, give them their race fee back and take them out of the system. I guarantee everyone will do their marshaling duties.
Given our current time between heats even if you break you could still marshal your heat and then work on your car. I think the only valid reason would be if you have an injury or such. Even still I am sure the RD would like the help, even for one race.. The only other reason would be back to back heats of which I think we do a really good job of avoiding and it is very rare until the mains.

My two cents on this and I agree with Darren and that the RD has a tough job putting up with the few "sometimes" bad apples..
Old 03-03-2013, 09:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Des has some good points:
Re-sorts: I agree re-sorts shouldn't be done after Qualifier Rnd 1 of 2 but we were new at setting up races on the computer and we pressed the wrong button which did not put drivers in the same heats they would have been if Mandie or Joe had set it up. So a re-sort correction after Rnd 1 was done.

RD needs to have enough guts...
Yes another good point and if I am asked to RD again I will.

To Wayne's points: If we do the things I said, plus the things Des said, then we might be able to keep qualifiers at 6 minutes and have 3 Q rounds but one glitch and we won't be done by 12:30am. I propose we try next Friday March 8th: Open and Mini at 5 min, TC 6 min and 1/12 @ 8 min. If we are done by 12:20am, then the next week we run Mini at 6 minutes. If we finish at 12:10am then we can run Open at 6 minutes as well. This is assuming we have 10 qualifier heats again and I think it was great to only have 7-8 cars per heat.

I am available to RD and get things going early whenever needed or RD until Mandie gets there. Austin and I will be there at 6:15pm or earlier next week.

Last edited by DarrenH; 03-03-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

With all the time after youre race marshalling should be no issue! to repair and tweak your cars as well. I marshalled even when i wasn't needed and i know have no drinks in hand.
(then again i only have one on-road car so that affects how much time i use and then i wonder around the tables and just watch the racing LOTS OF TIME)

Joe&Darren i can be at the hangar for 5 PM depending on traffic affecting the Bus service itself. and start set-up i know i am fairly new at the hanger but still help.
If that's to early i get time to get a superstore lumberjack sandwhich! nom nom nom...

Last edited by Schs2013; 03-03-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I propose we try next Friday March 8th: Open and Mini at 5 min, TC 6 min and 1/12 @ 8 min. If we are done by 12:20am, then the next week we run Mini at 6 minutes. If we finish at 12:10am then we can run Open at 6 minutes as well. This is assuming we have 10 qualifier heats again and I think it was great to only have 7-8 cars per heat.
So, we are going to penalize someone for running mini or open?

This problem stems from the start time... If we start the races at 7:00 we do 3 rounds + main and make it out the doors by 12:00... If the races don't start by 7:00 we do 2 rounds + main. We state these as the rules, and people should have nothing to complain about. If I'm running mini @ 5 minutes and 3 qualifiers, I lose 4 minutes total runtime. If we run @ 6 minutes and 2 qualifiers I lose 6 minutes...
Old 03-03-2013, 12:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Arrow

Originally Posted by SkaterX
So, we are going to penalize someone for running mini or open?

This problem stems from the start time... If we start the races at 7:00 we do 3 rounds + main and make it out the doors by 12:00... If the races don't start by 7:00 we do 2 rounds + main. We state these as the rules, and people should have nothing to complain about. If I'm running mini @ 5 minutes and 3 qualifiers, I lose 4 minutes total runtime. If we run @ 6 minutes and 2 qualifiers I lose 6 minutes...
hope not to loose run time for any class maybe if possible we start 30 minutes earilier to keep everything fair. Just an idea
just my 2 cents

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 3.83 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.