Like Tree6Likes

N.a.s.c.a.r

Old 04-26-2011, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Tamiya Mini

Got a PM from one of your members regarding the Tamiya Mini so thought I’d post it here so everyone can get the info as hopefully this class becomes even more popular cause its fun for not only the beginners but for the seasoned racers for what a consider a worry free class (that's when your car is working though).

First off, the ‘bible’ of Tamiya Mini info is located at this site: http://www.rc-mini.net/joomla/index.php

Here is some other specific info that was asked of me.

- M01/M02 are collector items.

- M03 is the older FWD version. Not many people run them anymore but I still do. It’s still competitive and parts are readily available.

- M04 is the older RWD version and all parts are no longer being made. Some still run them but finding parts may be difficult.

- M05 is the newer FWD version. It is suppose to be better than the M03 b/c it has a lower center of gravity. You can use a M03 diff. Biggest problem for some is that the car wonders to one side (right?) when you accelerate. Problem usually stems from something binding in the drivetrain or the steering apparatus. Use bearings (they’re metric and you can usually buy from your LHS. Our PM Hobbycraft sells them for like $2 a bearing. The number of the part like 850 means 8mm x 5mm x (4 or 5 cause I can’t remember what the thickness of the bearing is)). Make sure your steering rack is not binding either. Weird things about the Mini is that they seem to work well with a lot of slop. Seriously. Also, a lot of droop is also fine. Ride height still 5 mm though.

- Side bar: the local “Tamiya Mini Parts Peddler” is Shane (MisterPink)…..he’s on the Karz thread so PM him. If you guys need anything, Dale usually and sometimes Roger and Mike comes down to race. If you need anything and they are coming down for sure, we can arrange for them to pick stuff up for you guys if they are okay with it. Also, we are planning to go Brushless (equivalent speed of the silver can) eventually (Karz is in the testing phase) but with that being said, still run silver can cause there is a transition period for next years WCICS but the ESC/motor combo will be affordable and make racing even closer.

Also, the basic rule in getting the mini to drive right is first off make sure you have REAR traction, then work on getting the FRONT to steer. Glueing the OUTSIDE edge of the FRONT TIRE ONLY is used to solve traction roll issues.

- M06 is the newest RWD offered. It is the current ‘hot’ car to have. I think over 80% of the club has it.

Any questions feel free to ask or even go to the Karz thread and ask. We are all more than willing to help get this class more popular for you Edmonton guys. It is also the class I think a good 'entry' class to get newbies into RC at a really affordable way to start RC racing. We had 40 Mini’s at the Calgary WCICS and you guys that made it looked like you guys had fun. Hope to see a big turnout later this year at your race.

Also, hopefully some of you guys come down to race with us at Karz (http://karz.ca/karzcalgary/Welcome.html) with time and place updated regularly. CARCAR isn’t busy in the summer except for a few events we do at shows and stuff so Karz fills that onroad racing void in the summer.

Ivan
Old 04-26-2011, 12:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks for the quick reply Ivan. Much Appreciated
Old 04-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Sweet! Thanks for that Ivan. I'm actually just building my M05 now. Had a blast at the Calgary race and can't wait to race mini at NASCAR! To bad only one race left.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Talking

Just curious if any of you guys are racing short course Mod this year and what you've found works best for motor/ ESC combo's.

Is it worth converting my brushless SC10 2wd to the new 550 size motors? Does the extra weight at the back affect the handling of the truck? And what about the extra weight of the ESC's you need to run the 550's? Is there a good 540 size motor and ESC combo that is still competitive with the 550's? How fast are the brushless Slash's compared to the brushless SC10?

My kid thought my truck was a Slash and drove it through a puddle. Turns out AE isn't lying when they say their electronics are not waterproof.
Either way perfect time to update the stock hardware.

Thanks for any input guys.

Greg
Old 05-09-2011, 06:27 AM
Tech Adept

Default Outdoor racing Wednesday

Weather permitting, we will be racing at the outdoor track every Wednesday this summer, starting this Wednesday. Trying to get started by 7:00, done by 10:00. Classes will be open at this point.

Joe
Old 06-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Job Opportunity

We have a position open for a field service technician in Edmonton. We're looking for an individual with mechanical and electrical aptitude willing to be trained in the car wash equipment service and installation field.

You'll need:
- to be 21 or older and physically fit
- a clean driving record and your own transpotation, initially
- to be available for full time work
- to be willing to learn very diverse mechanical oriented trade

You'll get:
- $20/hr to start (O.T.= time and a half)
- on the job training
- P.O.S.T. training
- W.H.M.S. training
- company service vehicle (2nd year)
- company cell phone (6 months)

I know this is an unusual place to post a job opportunity like this but, most R/C guys already have the basic mechanical and troubleshooting skills to apply to this work. In fact, the technician that now manages our Edmonton operation (Kevin) was a fellow R/C racer back in the 90's. He's been with our company nearly 20 years now and has done very well.

If anyone is interested, please PM or email me.

Thanks,

Jim Chapman
email: [email protected]
Old 08-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Tech Adept

Default Edmonton WCICIS date

We have scheduled the hangar for November 25,26,27. Posting here so that anyone from out of town can plan ahead.

Joe
Old 08-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey guys, in about a month I'm going to be moving to Edmonton and I'd like to run a few club races here and there. I've got a touring car and an F1 car right now. Is there an F1 class at all? What class is the most popular/has the most entries in touring car?
Old 08-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Tech Adept

We have at least one guy who shows up with an f1 car regularly. We usually throw him in the open class with a bunch of 1/10 pan cars, or sometimes with the touring cars.

I know there are more around in Edmonton, but they don't seem to makenit out.

Happy to have another one out there for Dan to race!

Joe
Old 08-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Tech Addict

Mini is going to be a class that will shine this year, we had a good showing at the end of last season and it should cary forward easily this season.

TC is our biggest class and we also ran 1/16 vendettas and mini revos for giggles.

We also had some guys come out with drifters, hopefully they come out again this season.

2 Cents
Old 08-02-2011, 09:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

There is some info posted in the wcics threads about each club having to order brushless combos for mini and that someone has the info in regards to ordering. Just wondering who has the info and how I would go about order a brushless combo. Looking forward to some door banging action in mini this year! Woop woop

Tim
Old 08-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Tech Adept

Hey Tim,

I was talking to ORCA about these combos, they have assured
me they will have at least 10 for our club by the end of august. I have since asked Roger to take over this project for our club.

Joe
Old 08-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Tech Regular

I would like a brushless combo for mini.
Thanks, Corey
Old 08-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by CWILK
I would like a brushless combo for mini.
Thanks, Corey
I'd like to get on the list as well thank you 
Old 08-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Count me in as well please.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 3.83 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.