Like Tree3Likes

N.a.s.c.a.r

Old 01-20-2002, 11:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It was the calgary leg of the tri-cities + 2 over the weekend. In the past we have agreed not to have a club race on the same weekend to support the host cities race. Also it was voted that we would not have a practice since the core group of racers who run the club, IE Race director, competion director and the people who know the security code would be attending that race.

Tamiya parts would probably have to be special ordered in. Hpi parts are pretty abundant in the city and Hobby Direct has some parts for the corally 1/12th's, but i do not know for sure what they have.
Old 01-21-2002, 02:18 PM
Tech Adept

Talking any results from Calgary

So who won what in Calgary? How did the Kamloops guys do?
Old 01-21-2002, 04:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Thank you, and sorry for not noticing the tri-cities were last week.
Old 01-22-2002, 08:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Local Parts availability . . .

SafariDog / CarbSmith :

The new place you are refering to is Great Hobbies.
They have an on-line store at www.greathobbies.com, thier entire parts list and prices are available on-line and in Canadian dollars. They are a mail-order store from down east that happens to have a couple of stores. Located at 5144 75th street in the new business complex just north of the WhiteMud (by the big water tanks)

Of course they list every single item from every company they can on-line but they will order what isn't in-stock.

Price wise, I have found that it's 50-50, some things are cheaper than Hobby Wholesale, some aren't. The few things I have compared, GH has better Kit pricing (ie: XXX-NT - Hobby Wholesale: 469.99 GH: 419.99 but have to order it...) but they get you on parts, typically a buck or two over Hobby wholesale (ie: RPM Dual-stage shock pistons Med-Hvy :HWS:$7.90 GH: 9.89)

The store it self is pretty good. Lots of planes, boats, full lines of servos (JR, Airtronics, Hitech), models etc. They have a fair amount of Associated, HPI, GS, Dynamite, Tamiya and Traxxas gear. The FULL line of the Parma FasColor paints (Hobby Wholesale has a better price but not the full line)

I'm a TeamLosi nut and they claim to carry the entire line but there is nothing in-store right now. The guy 'in-charge' of the Car dept. claims that they are just waiting for it to be shipped. Considering that they have been open only 1 month, I will wait and see. But not too long...

In the mean time, hobby wholesale gets my orders in within 10 days typically. Just placed about $300 worth of xxx-nt Graphite parts on order . . .

Now just have to break in the new OS .15 cr-v
Old 01-22-2002, 09:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default NASCAR Membership / Off-Road Track

Safaridog,

I have had the pleasure to be part of the NASCAR family in the past going all the way back to my days at the Blaster's track in St. Albert and then some in-door at King Edward a few (5?) years ago or so...

Here is my dilemma...

I really like the facility that has been created at Thorncliff but I am decidely _NOT_ interested in on-road but LOVE to eat dirt. Is it true that NASCAR is taking over the old Ice Rink at Thorncliff and making it an off-road track in the same manner that they did the old tennis courts for the on-road? IE: fenced off, with power?

If so, tell me when I can sign up and I can contribute some 'sweat equity' to help develop the track!

I don't want to 'dis' the guys out at the meridian track as I feel that they have done a great job with extremely limited resources but I would really like to see something a little more organized (ie: not at the whims of the track being on personal property, keyed member access, reasonable practise times etc...)

I have also read on the NASCAR page that there are rumors of a track at the school where the Tri-Cities were held... Is this not only about a klick north of the Meridian track? Corner of Hwy 14 and Wye Road? If I am wrong, please correct...

Any info that you can contribute would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2002, 01:23 AM
Tech Regular

Carbsmith, see you there this Friday

Funky99,

Off road at thorncliff would be great, but not practical. We would have to haul dirt in and the boards and at the end of the year everything would have to be taken out so that it can be made into a skating rink. Iím sure that if we did leave it there, the community league would have our balls as bookends. I agree with you about the state of the current off road situation. I also have a few/many beefs with whatís going on, but it is the only thing that we have. Be patient we might get a surprise at the beginning of the year, I wonít go into it now, but you might get the opportunity to contribute some 'sweat equity'.

As for the hobby stores, I rather spend my money at hobby store/s that support and promote racing. My experience at great hobbies has somewhat left a sour taste in my mouth. Their pricing has not been as eye bulging as what I thought they would be for being a huge chain in the east.

XXXs69, The racing was great in Calgary. We had 41 entries in touring stock alone, people from across the border showed up including the infamous Bob Stormer from stormer hobbies. Craig Miller won touring mod A-main with Wayne Mah close behind and Chan took 3rd. I believe Joe also won touring stock a-main. Check out Calgaryís web site, Iím sure they will have the full race report in soon.
Old 01-25-2002, 02:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Engine break-in

Anyone here use the engine break-in 'service' with Hobby Direct?

Does this "Computerized Break-in proccess" really work well?

Any info would be appreciated.

Old 01-25-2002, 03:36 PM
Tech Regular

I don't know if it helps, but i do know that it saves time. It is a controlled break-in process, after they done with it just throw the motor in and go.
Old 02-05-2002, 05:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey Funky99,

The Radio Control Racers Edmonton club has been formed for off-road. They gave out a lot of flyers at the Monster Jam on the weekend. The track will be at the school right next to the Meridian track... I believe they are signing the lease this week. It's going to be a huge track and there are a lot of people lining up to put in their sweat. The first meeting is in March some time and I will post when I know. Club membership will be $45/year, races will be $8 for members and practice 6-days a week will be free for members. Daryl Balaberta is the main contact: 465 1076

As for the motor break in - it is my machine (I am the majority owner of Hobby Direct.) If you have any questions email me or call the store and ask them to give you my # (assuming I'm not there.) My email is [email protected].

Basically the stand lets me break in an engine under controled conditions (temp and RPM's.) The end result is a better fit between the piston and sleeve. The sleeve ends up polished but the fit is still tight. It helps engines make full power longer and it means you don't have to break it in in your car. It works. All engines bought from Hobby Direct include free break-in. I do it to all my engines. The stand is from Sweden and hooks in to a computer to get the RPM and temp readings.

As far as stock and prices go we do our best. We're not able to compete with the other stores on the same scale because we only do cars and because we're too small to get the credit deals they can. But we get by and service the racing community as well as we can. Typically our prices are the best but we will not sell below cost. We do special orders - how long it takes depends on what it is. We have a lot of Associated parts, tires rims etc for off-road. We also do a lot of 1/8 scale stuff.

Thx,
Chris Hammond, Hobby Direct.
Old 02-06-2002, 04:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default 2002 Kamloops Mid-Winter Challenge

Hey Guys.....The 2002 Kamloops Mid-Winter Challenge is fast approaching. If you have not already booked your hotel room, better do so now! The Argus Motor Inn is looking to be the hotel of choice as it offers real good rates and it is a good, clean place to stay. Many of the Vancouver and Abbottsford racers are staying there. Our sign-up and practice will start at 6:00 pm on Friday and run untill 10:00 pm. The track will open again on Saturday morning at 8:00 and close at 9:30 so between the two days there should be lots of practice time. Also practice time on Sunday morning aswell. If you need directions to the track or hotel, you can email me or I will eventually just post them here.
[email protected]

**It is advisable to bring along an extension cord as there are very few plug ins for the amount of racers. Tables are first come first served.

Hope to see you all soon

Brent Wende
Race Director

Last edited by FIVE 7; 02-06-2002 at 04:22 AM.
Old 02-13-2002, 05:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Smile

I own Safaridog on the 12th scale track!!!LOL
Old 02-15-2002, 02:45 PM
Tech Regular

Talking

Sadly it is true , i did get beat by Hack er.....i mean jjmudd.

till we race again slowpoke er.... jjmudd
Old 02-17-2002, 12:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

1/12th scale huh?I would love to race you guys in that class.1/12th stock over here in B.C. is only one class big but it would be nice to see some of you here when we have our big carpet race in April.Mark Pavidis is supposed to be here.Bring thos 1/12th scales out cuz we love em.
And if you guys want to find out about our local racing scene check out http://www.rcpitstop.com/master.html

Last edited by INFERN0; 02-17-2002 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:47 PM
Tech Regular

Default 1/12th jjmudd

Hey jjmudd you should change your name to just plain MUDD hahahahahahahahaah lol lol lol

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 3.83 average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service