Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Canadian R/C Scene
Radio Contro Racers Edmonton Off Road Racing >

Radio Contro Racers Edmonton Off Road Racing

Radio Contro Racers Edmonton Off Road Racing

Old 06-10-2003, 07:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hooked,

Wayne was running Associated 50wt front, 40wt rear with the 1.4mm 2 hole piston.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:56 AM
Tech Regular

60 wt front 40 wt rear. Little stiff but corners really well.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Exclamation IMPORTANT NOTICE

The June 27-29 race is now being held in Calgary NOT Red Deer. This is because Red Deer is appealing their track closure and hope to run their round in August. Lets organize some car pools and find a group rate on a hotel for the Edmonton folks.

Everyone planning to go please email me [email protected] and I will start working on a good hotel rate. Lets pool tents and gear too so we can travel a bit lighter.

Also - Daryl I'm willing to design some RCRE vinyl stickers for everyone to run in Calgary ... okay? I can have them made up in reverse too so that folks can paint them on the inside. SHould be about $1 - $2 per pair. They will be very cool looking.

Re: MP 7.5 shock oil GS 450ct 1.4mm front; GS 350ct 1.4mm rear - thats approx 45/35.

I'm posting my whole setup sheet later today for those with 7.5's who want a good baseline for Edmonton.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Hooked,

Running a lighter shock is better as it smooths out the rough stuff better this makes it a nicer ride for the electronics equipment such as servos and the reciever. Better to stay at 20wt, then at 50 or 60wt.

Last edited by corwin; 06-10-2003 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I ran Associated 35 front and 30 rear with 0 toe in front no sway bars and Pro Line Knuckles in my Kanai.Oh yeah I also ran an OS RZ-01 and was very happy with the power.30% fuel was also the fuel of choice (Byrons)
Old 06-10-2003, 12:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Chris's Setup for Edmonton

Front:
Proline Dirty Harry M2's, medium foam
Shocks mounted to tower on lowermost, innermost hole
Shocks mounted to innermost arm hole
450ct (about 42wt) oil
1.4mm x 2 pistons
Blue springs
-1.5 deg camber
0 deg toe
1.78 mm swaybar - set at the end of the bar
Fioroni Torsen diff (or substitute LSD red)
Ride height set for bones about 5 deg above level
20 deg carriers
Upper and lower B block
Downstop set at about 1mm
Use a Hudy board to adjust the downstops so that the arms have exactly the same downstop height ... otherwise the car will not jump straight...

Center:
2 disk setup with springs on pads
80% front bias
20% rear bias
Fioroni torsen (or substitute 5k std diff)
46T spur

Rear:
Proline Dirty Harry M2's, medium foam
Shocks mounted to tower on lowermost, outermost hole
Socks mounted to innermost arm hole
350ct (about 35wt) oil
1.4mm x 2 pistons
Blue springs
-2 deg camber
3 deg toe in
2 deg kick plate
2.5 mm swaybar - set at the end of the bar
Fioroni Torsen diff (or substitute LSD red)
Ride height set for bones level
Wing level
Use a Hudy board to adjust the downstops so that the arms have exactly the same downstop height ... otherwise the car will not jump straight...

Engine / Clutch:
CMB LSi Evo2
OD #99 plug
Sidewinder Pro 10% oil 30% Nitro
Fioroni Turbo Clutch w/teflon shoes
13T clutch bell
1 fuel filter
K&N air filter fitted to off-road elbow with pre-filter

Rob - you were flying man I lost 1.5 laps on my flameout and made 2 more stops than you. All things being equal (i.e. same milage and no issues for both of us) we could have had a hell of a battle! Kelowna is going to be awesome ... I predict the top 8 cars will do the same laps in the main ... awesome!!!
Old 06-10-2003, 02:36 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yup, the final is gonna be freakin wicked. I myself am upgrading to big bores as we speak, I'm tryin for no more broken shocks, kinda slows you down some LOL.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Gary - 15 mins with a broken shock is a heck of a feat! Hats off bro.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Stickers !?!?

Chris,

Count me in on a few if you do get them done.

Could you maybe get a couple done up LARGE for inside the window of a real vehicle? I would love it and I know a few others that would as well. I would say ~$5 would be reasonable for one LARGE interior sticker (Think side window on an extended cab truck )

Make sure you post the proposed graphic. I have a few "retooled" versions of the stock graphic but don't know if everyone would like them ...

Last edited by Funky99; 06-16-2003 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Although I did not make the "A" main in Edmonton in my 1st 1/8th scale outing I did discover that by running an air filter with a large crack in the rubber elbow, allows a tremendous amount of the fine silt found on the Edmonton track to pollish the piston and sleave so well that the piston can actually flow through the sleave, from bottom right through the top, with absolutly no friction!! Can you say flame out??!! Interesting lesson but damn costly rookie error considering I ran the filter on two engines!!! OUCH.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

JJ ...

Wow ... I feel bad for you... hey Steve if you don't plan to run that CMB I donated ... maybe you could hand it on to John?

Your OS is still working isn't it?
Old 06-10-2003, 07:18 PM
pne
Tech Adept

chris, i noticed on your setup you're using torsens all around? how is the steering affected? i was afraid using a torsen in the front might limit steering and i've been told not to run one in the rear at all. i did run a center last weekend and it worked quite well.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

3 x Fioroni Torsen = steer like a 1/12 scale (i.e. instant turn in, tons of steering in the middle and the ability to get on the power way earlier on exit) ... they suit my driving style ... most guys hate them from what I have read. I almost can't do a lap without them ha ha.

The Fioroni "Storm Traction" Torsen diffs in the center do not make the car push like an LSD does. I have not used other Torsens ... so I can't say for sure what they do.

This setup is very similar to LSD - 5K - LSD but has more middle corner steering.

The gears in all 3 Torsens are actually cut differently for the "end" they are on ... I think some of the other Torsens like Ofna are all cut the same (i.e. they do a straight 50/50 split and are set to generate maximum grip.) Stroms are cut with less angle in the gears so they don't have as much of a Torsen action as the old Hyper-Traction diffs... the center is cut for a 60/40 power split. The rear is cut with almost no Torsen action. GS who sell these only get the 50/50 split gears ... I got my gears direct from Italy 2 years ago so I could specify the "action" and split ratio.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Chammond,

I'm thinking of changing the diffs to LSD - 7K - LSD, but nowhere in town is the 7K diff fluid. Do you have some I can scam from you.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

No mug shot of you on there Team Drivers page, are not up that status yet. If not at the status yet, will be soon right.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service