Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Canadian R/C Scene
Radio Contro Racers Edmonton Off Road Racing >

Radio Contro Racers Edmonton Off Road Racing

Radio Contro Racers Edmonton Off Road Racing

Old 05-25-2003, 07:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Sorry I coudnt make it out today but the oldest had a soccer tourney. I work tomorrow but ill be out there tuesday night. If we need hands to get that drivers stand out there it would be a good time to set it up soon. Say the word and ill be there.
Old 05-25-2003, 09:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Well gentlemen . . .

For those of you that put effort into making it out to work on the track . . .

Here's the payoff of your labor . . .
Attached Thumbnails Radio Contro Racers Edmonton Off Road Racing-construction-day-24-pan01.jpg  
Old 05-25-2003, 09:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Cool Oh yeah...

The thing I climbed up on to get the picture...

Attached Thumbnails Radio Contro Racers Edmonton Off Road Racing-day24_01.jpg  
Old 05-25-2003, 09:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Oooohhh BABY! aint that sweet.

Look at that back stretch, nice and smooooth especially after the packer took me for a ride... er i mean after i handled that packer like a pro hehe...

Final analysis, yep its a tack ladies and gents. Iím sure we'll have fun tearing it up with our rides, and the track will answer back with broken arms, bent parts etc. (As my roomie discovered tonight).

Her is something interesting about the pic, check out the bottom right hand corner of the overhead shot, you can see the shadow of the picture taker
Old 05-25-2003, 11:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Whoo hoo!!! We almost have a track , Daryl and I both put in a long day, 8am to 10pm.But It was well worth at the end . Thanks to everyone who showed up today to lend a hand, and to Dave (the caretaker of Sices school) for pulling a few strings and doing some horse-trading to get us a bobcat for the weekend. We also enlisted the help of a very good Bobcat operator (Burt), I mean this guy was expert. He move a lot of clay into the infield and it was so smooth that racking was not needed. A quick pass with the tamper and it was FLAT!!! If you see these guys around, (they usually are) say "hi" They are good guys

Rob, Daryl and myself have officially gotten the first laps on the track . The track surface is loose in some areas but hopefully Mother Nature will come through tonight and give us some rain. The track and the sod could use a good soaking.

So here's Major stuff that still needs to be done. Weeping tile needs to be put in areas where "short coursing" may occur, infield needs to seeded, pilings for the drivers stand (auger for holes and concrete for piles), drivers stand to be moved into place. Pit lane and trenching for the power and water lines.
And lastly, catcher boards on outside of the big banks.

I've meet some new faces today, people who like to help during the week but donít know what to do. So if you got some free time or an afternoon off during the week. Hereís a list of jobs that can be done very easily.

Sod needs to be watered on a regular basis the hoses and attachments are there . There are some rocks on the race surface, just walk the track and pick out what you see. Just make sure you get them out of the track area, everything we do not race on will be grass . The sloped areas around the perimeter of the track will eventually be grass As well, so all the big rocks and debris will have to be removed. They can be thrown to the bottom and a bobcat will be there to scope them up at a later date.

I know you seen the pic of us on top of the drivers stand, but keep in mind that it is VERY UNSAFE. Please do not use it until we have put it in place.

Last edited by safaridog; 05-26-2003 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-25-2003, 11:08 PM
Tech Regular

One final note, I know everyoneís been itching to get out and run some packs/tanks and the track is ready for some running. But lets not lose focus on the task at hand; we need to have the track completed for the June 6 race (western champ). And were shooting to have a club race before then to work out the bugs (organizing, race format, jumps, ect). Come out meet the folks who have put this all together, do a bit of work and take the toys out for a run .
Old 05-25-2003, 11:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Hmmm Just one thing... Pit lane?

I know off to the right hand corner of the overhead shoot there is still a pile of un-used clay. Will that be used for pit lane?
Old 05-25-2003, 11:57 PM
Tech Regular

CutisW,
The pit lane will be waist high made out of wood.
Old 05-25-2003, 11:58 PM
Tech Regular

Have you ever wondered what it takes to build that track like this? Some of the numbers are from a conversation that Daryl and I had today, others I have gotten from Terry and various people.

From the last 3 weeks we're at......

110 loads of fill, 10 loads of topsoil and 20 loads of gold clay. So thatís 140 loads at 12 cubic yards per load, that 1680cubic yards 3 days with a D6 cat to rough grade it, 1 day with a grader, 4 days with a bobcat. Massive amounts of manpower. A 1600lb vibrating tamper that runs 4-6hrs a day. 600 square yards of sod for the infield, only enough to cover half of what we need. Water running for14hrs a day for the last week (a couple days for 24hrs). And a lot of sprains, bruises, blisters, pulled muscles and slivers.
Old 05-26-2003, 08:40 AM
Tech Regular

Sounds very familiar.
Old 05-26-2003, 02:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Okay, so racing is expected for this Saturday like was discussed at the very first meeting, however we are still missing some much needed information...

1. Time (what time are we expected to show up for racing?)
2. Numbers (whats the status of these?)
3. Money (still $10? does this start this weekend (even though its mainly testing)?)
4. Rules and Regulations for racing? (100% pro radio impound myself)
5. Classes and Platforms? (novice and Stadium truck myself)

...thats all I can think of right now, wern't we supposed to have some sort of meeting this weekend before the race (like an hour before or something...seem to recall that at the first meeting), however I think some of these need to be brought up before then so we can get prepared (like the number, money, rules and reg.).

...do we have a minister of information?

Last edited by Shayne; 05-26-2003 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-26-2003, 02:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Shayne,

Just wondering if you have had any luck finding that post about the differential on the xxx-t??
Old 05-26-2003, 04:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Sure did...

1. Tighten down the slipper nut.

2. Point the car away from you, hold on the right wheel and spur gear with one hand and try and turn the left wheel forward (away from you). It shouldn't turn unless giving it good preasure, or the skin on your thumb rips off.

3. If the left wheel does turn forward with easy, then do the losi describe tightening (line up diffscrew with out drive, hold with allen key and turn tighten the wheel 1/8 turn. ONLY 1/8!! This is a common error.

4. After tightening the diff, retest. If it is still lose, repeat step 3 till it is tight.

NOTE: When tightening the differential its not like screwing a scew into wood (where you tighten down the screw and give it a good tug at the end, this is what strips the locknut or worse yet causes binding in the differential melting your gears or chipping teeth), instead, tighten it down till its snug. Practice makes perfect.
Old 05-26-2003, 08:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Smile Request . . .

If anyone has a copy of the RCRE flyer, could you send it to me in electronic format? It's the 'original" tri-fold pamphlet.

I cannot find my original files and I need to print a couple hundred out ASAP . . .

JPG, PDF, Word etc would be fine. If you feel really generous a typed copy of the text

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2003, 08:57 PM
Tech Adept

Talking Hats Off To All

I just felt the need to say to all those that have taken precious time from there busy lives,family,work,etc. to make a place that we can all be very proud of. darryl,dennis,sean and all those who participated, I thank you. This is defenitly THE city of champions

Last edited by lizzardo420; 05-26-2003 at 09:08 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service